More complete specs, images & pre-order for GH3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by meyerweb, Sep 16, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Here is the GH3 (and preorder)

Pre-order price from Samy's is $1300 body only, which doesn't seem unreasonable if performance matches claims:

Panasonic | DMC-GH3 Lumix Body (Black) | DMCGH3KBODY

Some things I like, some things I'm disappointed in.

Build Quality
    ERgos / Control layout
    5 Fn buttons!
    3 Dials!
    no more pressing WB button by accident
    roomier button spacing
    larger, better grip (it appears)
    Built-in flash (unlike Oly)
    Larger battery (1860mah vs. 1200)

* no mention of multi-aspect sensor (makes me think Panasonic bought the sensor from someone, rather than building it themselves)
    * shutter still tops out a 1/4000 second. Seriously Panasonic, if you're billing this as a "pro" caliber body, you've got to do better than that.
    * lowest ISO 200 (also makes me think it's not Panasonic's sensor -- what happened to the rumors of ISO 100?
    * Actual Size information, finally:
    * Larger battery (yet another different battery / charger to worry about)

GH2 vs. GH3 size difference (GH3 specs first):
    5.23 / 4.88 inches wide (.35 inch, or about 1/3 inch wider)
    3.68 / 3.53 inches tall (.15 inch taller)
    3.23 / 2.98 inches deep (.25 [1/4] inch deeper, most of which appears to be the grip
    16.58 / 13.82 oz. (2.76 oz heavier)

This ain’t hardly a D800 folks!

Compared to the OM-D (GH3 specs first):
    5.23 / 4.8 wide (.4 inches wider)
    3.68 / 3.5 high (.18 inches taller)
    3.23 / 1.69 deep (most of the different, though, is in the grip and the EVF. I can’t find any specs on the size with grip attached, but it’s obviously much closer. In fact, the OM-D with horizontal grip looks like it might be a bit taller than the GH3.)
    16.58 / 13 oz

Compared to a 7D (GH3 specs first):
    5.23 / 5.8 wide x 3.68 / 4.4 tall x 3.23 x 2.8 inches deep (The depth figure, I think, is misleading. It’s mostly the grip, and the extension of the EVF past the rear of the body. The actual depth of the body itself is obviously much smaller.)

The 7D weighs 26.9 oz, or 10 oz more than the GH3.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I am NOT going to buy a GH3, but this camera looks awesome, and I'm very excited to see it's release.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Looks good, but god I hope they kept the multi-aspect sensor...
  4. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Expensive; U$1,300 the body.
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    is it as good or better than 7D for sports? The price is similar..
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    It seems like a safe bet that the Canon 7D will be better for sports. It looks like the GH3 only has CDAF which is not good for continuous AF during sequential shooting.
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Did anyone else notice there seemed to be no mention of focus peaking? It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't a feature in the GH3 after all... in fact to be honest I was more surprised to hear that Panasonic might implement it in the first place. It's not a deal breaker for me, just curious since that seems to have disappeared from the rumor discussion.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Odd. Seems unlikely, but perhaps they're now using the same Sony-sourced sensor as the E-M5?

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It does have focus peaking according to the leaked specs.
  10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Only the supposed specs leaked by 43rumors. There's no mention of it on the Samy's page for pre-ordering the GH3 which I find more likely to be accurate in details, so I was wondering if it didn't materialize. Guess we'll know for sure in < 24 hours :biggrin:
  11. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Back in the day, no one bitched about having 1/1000 s as the fastest shutter speed available and when they upped it to 1/2000 s everyone went "wow"! Just saying.
  12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Keep in mind this is a Samy's ad, not an official Panasonic spec sheet. Also that 43 rumors is far from official word. We'll know for sure tomorrow.

Yeah, but it's also true that we had ASA 25 and 32 films readily available. That's not an option on most digital bodies.

ISO 200 is 3 stops faster than 25, so that 1/1000 shutter is equivalent to 1/4000th at ISO 200 (in terms of exposure--not motion capture, obviously). It would be nice to see some improvement over what we had 40 or 50 years ago. :)

More importantly, though, I think if Panasonic wants to bill this as a "professional" caliber camera (or at least semi-pro), they need to match the competition. Similarly priced DSLRs, I'm pretty sure, will offer faster shutter speeds, and probably lower ISOs at the same time.
  13. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    The days of lower ISO seem over. This, to me, is a great shame. You'd think a built-in ND filter would be provided but no manufacturer seems to have taken a hint from the videocam folk.
  14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Except Fuji; in the X100 there's an in-built ND filter option, though as far as I know this feature was not carried over to the X-Pro1. I certainly wouldn't mind that feature be implemented on more cameras for shooting with fast lenses in daylight.
  15. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    In fairness, the manufacturers are responding to the market. Camera review sites, the blogosphere, even forums like this one all seem to emphasize high-ISO performance over low. If they're going to be evaluated on high-ISO, that's what they're going to emphasize in design and development.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    LOL true, you just can't please everyone!
  17. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I do realise this, which is why my post gave one solution to the problem that manufacturers have been slow to adopt. Even though a built-in ND would in fact be an example of "following the market", given the popularity of these cameras for video.

Which just goes to show, they don't get it right all the time. And it's never enough to base research on "market forces", or there would be no innovation at all.
  18. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I agree.

Actually, since the Lumix LX-7 has one you'd think they'd take a play from their own play book. Was hoping to see this... no sour grapes, just thinking I'd like to start seeing this more.