1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

More advice on 50's

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by manzoid, Sep 9, 2012.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Just wondering if anyone wise in the ways of legacy lenses might suggest whether some 50mm f1.4 would be a worthwhile upgrade from a Nikon E Series 50mm f1.8.

I find the E series a nice size, weight and like how it handles, but I would like it to be sharper and more contrasty wide open.

I have heard enough times that most legacy lenses aren't those things wide open and the most obvious upgrade would be the 45mm m.zuiko, but if I can get something at least 80% as good for 1/6th or less of the price, I need to at least consider it.

I should also mention that I don't use a lens hood. I imagine that would help significantly with the contrast, especially outdoors, but I don't want to buy one if I change 50's anyway. Speaking of hoods, would a hood for the 50mm focal length or 100mm focal length be more appropriate given the m43 crop factor?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've gone through a lot of 50's and they are all quite good. It's hard to get a bad one really. Some of my favorites have been/are:

Super Takumar 50/1.4 (SMC and non SMC)
    Super Takumar 55/2
    Olympus OM 50/1.4 (serial # over 1 million)
    Olympus OM 50/1.8
    Konica 50/1.4
    Konica 50/1.7
    Minolta 50/1.7
    Minolta 50/1.4
    Jupiter-8 50/2
    Helios 44M 58/2

Of those the Super Takumar 50/1.4 is my favorite followed by the Konica 50/1.4 and the OM 50/1.4

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If you want soemthing a bit longer, and a bit more of its own personality, I would look at a Minolta MC 58mm f1.4. Great portrait lens, and there is something of a cult following around them. On mine, I just believe it likes me because I took it apart, repaired it and made it functional. Karma! :)

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  6. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

It seems to me like every brand has it's loyal followers, and for every post I read saying something is good, someone else says it's soft.

If I had a normal 50mm I probably wouldn't even ask the question, but since my only truly fast 50 is the budget model (both being E series and f1.8), I'm wondering if I'm missing something. So can anyone with first hand experience comment on whether the E series is a particularly poor choice?

And secondly no one made any comments on the hood... Probably my fault for asking 2 questions in the thread and being verbose I know, but still... Suggestions from those more experienced than me (most here) would be appreciated.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I really liked my OM 50/1.4 but I think part of the reason I like the Super Tak better is the build quality (which is really nice)...but they're all very good and I doubt I'd be able to tell one from the other without a scorecard.

8. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Depends.

If you have sunlight glancing of the side of your lens, there likely will be some loss of contrast. Sometimes, to me, it makes the images look milky.

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I am guessing part of it is the loyal following (or just what we have), and part is that any adapted lens has had a different traveled path. Remember, you don't buy these because they are the best overall, they are the best value for the money. So those two issues may be what is tainting some experiences.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nikkor 50mm f1.4 or f1.2 are good lenses. I use my Nikkor 50 f1.4 a lot, fastest lens I currently own. A friend of mine has the F1.2 and it is just as good but a tiny bit faster but also much more expensive. I do recommend getting a later version of the lens because they have better coating.

The Nikon E is a good lens if stopped down and nice for m4/3 because of the smaller size and weight. Nikon also made a Nikkor version of that E lens but I think the optics are the same just that the body is all metal instead of plastic.

11. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    This is probably the one that interests me most as it's relatively cheap, I have to Minolta adapters (though only 1 lens do to an ebay mix up), and finally because it seems different enough to the Nikon that I may be able to justify keeping both ;)

One concern though is a relatively systematic review I read, claims it has low-ish light transmission at f1.4. Have you noticed this?

For reference:
    Minolta MC Rokkor PF 58mm f/1.4 : ERPhotoReview