1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

More ?? about the E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Jan 21, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Looking at the E-PL5, I am left with a few questions (that I am sure some folks here can help me with):

1. I see "zoom" buttons on the top rear of the camera body - are there lenses that are electronically zoomable (like a P&S)?

2. I can't imagine that the electronic zoom - if capable - is of much value over manual zooming, so if the zoom buttons are not used for zooming, can they be reprogrammed for other functions?

3. I don't see an exposure compensation dial like my OM-D has, but I do see a segment of the multifunction button that is assigned for compensation. How is the compensation set - what other control has to be adjusted while the multifunction button is held (if at all)?

4. I realize that the E-PL5 uses a different battery than my OM-D, but can it use the same charger? (I like multipurpose accessories/parts - especially battery-related)

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    1 zoom is for playback only

3 push on the multifunction drops you into EV mode. Use the same controller to move EV up or down. Hit set to exit and set EV

4 no. Different batts. OMD is different from all other pens

Sent from my iPhone

• Like Like x 1
  3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks WT21

• Like Like x 1
  4. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Hi, I have the E-PL5, and in answer to point two, you can set the "zoom in/out" buttons to custom functions. I did this to try out the method posted on the site to use the lineart filter as an aid for manual focusing.

For actual zooming of the shot, the E-PL5 has a 2x digital zoom option. There's a discussion somewhere here about whether this is any different to cropping and resizing in post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    AA, The 2X sounds just like the OM-D capability. I too use that for a focusing aid at times. What I like about it is that while the 2X affects the JPG output, if you are shooting both JPG and Raw, the Raw image stays at 1X.
    Thanks.

6. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    Zoom on the E-PL5 is manual only. As for the zoom button, it works in playback mode to zoom in on the shots you have previously taken. In shooting mode, the zoom button will allow you to zoom 14x to refine focus with manual focus lenses. I use this feature a lot. The only problem I have is that zoomed in to 14x, there is a lot of camera shake.

Out of the box, to get exposure compensation (in P, A, S modes), press the top of the control wheel. You will see an indication on the LCD that looks like "< >" indicating that you can either press the 9'oclock side to reduce exposure, or press the 3'oclock side to increase exposure. Or, you can turn the control wheel. I recommend that you set up the Super Control Panel if you haven't already. EC is on that, too. Finally, you can program one of the buttons to access EC directly.

I'm new to the E-PL5 myself, and I'm still trying figure out the best configuration. Although it is not without its faults, for the image quality and price, it is a great camera.

7. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Others have already answered your questions adequately. I would only add that for Q1, there are lenses that are electronically zoomable. For example, the Olympus 12-50 lens allows electronic zooming by pushing forward and then twisting the lens zoom knob to the left (for tele) or right (for wide angle). You don't use the buttons on the E-PL5 camera itself. This was intended primarily for smooth video zooming.

The E-PL5 allows several buttons to be reprogrammed. I found myself accidentally turning on the video with the red button on the top back right side too easily. I reprogrammed it to be a lens stop-down function, so if I accidentally hit it, it doesn't do anything with major consequences.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK

I reprogrammed it to do focusing rather than the shutter half-press - just like my 5dii does. Nice. Confuses the life out of people I hand it to, but I really like the ability to focus once and then shoot as and when I want. Maybe it's all that focus/recompose that I need to do on the 5dii (but which the Oly really doesn't require).

9. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I set mine to do the outline imaging to aid manual focus. It works rather nicely.

Exposure compensation isn't quite as quick and easy as a separate dial would make it, but takes a couple of seconds - you just have to be looking at the camera to make sure you get it right. I was out in the snow yesterday so constantly switching between +2 (for 80+ % snow shots) and back to standard for photographing a mix of dark and light. The histogram made the choice extremely easy.

10. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    You can also reassign the dial on the back to exposure compensation. Then you just have to turn it instead of pressing any buttons.

11. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Hmm. How did I not spot that? I haven't turned the dial at all - just used it as a four way rocker.

Camera reconfiguration inbound, take cover!

12. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    Custom Menu -> Button/Dial -> Dial Function

There you can re-configure the dial for p/a/s/m Mode. Also go sure that the dial lock isn't enabled.

Re-configured mine also a couple times :biggrin:

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm impressed with how configurable the Pen 5 is. It's great firmware.