1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moose in the backyard!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Mellow, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    EM5, ISO4000, 1/400

TJ230263.

TJ230265.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :smile::smile::smile:

3. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    Nice!
    I love the second, but would have tried to shot from a lower position.
    I really envy the people who can get wildlife so close...
    where I am now I can only see mosquitoes, cockroaches and some birds.

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Agree about the position . . . but sometimes you don't have any choice. They say a cow moose with calf is the most dangerous animal in the west, and I wasn't about to get any closer!

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So what you're saying is that you didn't want to use the Leica 25mm ƒ1.4 and "zoom with your feet" then? :tongue::biggrin:

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    LOL I was thinking of getting that perspective thing going with that big moose nose and my fisheye, but then I thought better of it.

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I was going to say the same thing. I wouldn't get down on the ground with a Moose and calf in the neighborhood. Hell, I'm hiding in my car, using at as a blind because a mother hawk dive bombed me when she noticed my inordinate interest in her nest -- from 60 or so feet away. And moose are way more dangerous. I know an old lady who got bloodied (granted not badly) by a mother robin when she stepped close to a downed chick while she was hanging her clothes.

Best not to mess with mothers and their young -- of any species.

8. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    Well, I thought there would be a fence or something. Yes, after learning here that beavers can be very dangerous, I would not mess even with a mouse. I've already have some scary situations with seagulls.
    As I said, the most I see around here are cockroaches and little birds. But I see that you can have any adventure there, even going out to buy the bread!

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Your backyard beats my backyard. I don't think a moose can compare to the ferocity of a human mother if she catches you photographing her child in public. I think a moose's charge may be tempered with common sense.

Thank you for sharing.

Gary