Moon shots

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The moon over a cloudy, windy and wet Cheshire. Through the clouds and rain.
44E7E00A-ACE1-4E65-85A7-54F30253CBDB.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Taken yesterday in the field. Using the 75-300 II with the Pen-F, overhead with my shaky hands was too much for the IBIS, so I had to bump the ISO quite a bit in order to compensate for the movement. Processed in DXO to counter some noise and applied a B&W preset. Still looks a bit overprocessed IMHO but it's my first decent moon shot with this lens.
P2200003_DxO-1.jpg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The Moon over Cheshire. 17:47pm. 22.02.2021.
0D940C20-7147-4486-A9CC-8AF2A0796165.jpeg

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Waxing Gibbous 62.7% E-M1MkIII
VERY nice shot! I have similar equipment (E-M5.3, 100-400 ; the 1.4 TC) and I am wondering - is this cropped? Also, did you use multiple shots and combining them, or this just a single shot? If you took multiples, how many and at what burst rate? I'm thinking of trying this (when it gets warmer!).

If this shot is cropped, does anyone know what magnification (in FF terms, I suppose) is necessary to completely fill the frame without cropping?

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
VERY nice shot! I have similar equipment (E-M5.3, 100-400 ; the 1.4 TC) and I am wondering - is this cropped? Also, did you use multiple shots and combining them, or this just a single shot? If you took multiples, how many and at what burst rate? I'm thinking of trying this (when it gets warmer!).

If this shot is cropped, does anyone know what magnification (in FF terms, I suppose) is necessary to completely fill the frame without cropping?
In my shot, above, the moon is about 1100 pixels in each dimension, at 420mm on a 20 Mpixel sensor. You would need about 3.5X more reach to fill the frame.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The Moon over Cheshire. 19:47pm. Monday 22 February. 2021.
C5CD4B42-EF9A-4D61-8F6E-7DCE59AB9BF5.jpeg

MJRodock

Mu-43 Regular

I apologize for not replying sooner. This photo was shot in Handheld Hi Res mode while on a stable tripod. This photo is the JPEG version of the HHHR shot. It was cropped 62% to a size of 2581x 2481 pixels. This method provides excellent results. As far as Full Frame terms I will leave that to others that are more familiar with those computations.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I apologize for not replying sooner. This photo was shot in Handheld Hi Res mode while on a stable tripod. This photo is the JPEG version of the HHHR shot. It was cropped 62% to a size of 2581x 2481 pixels. This method provides excellent results. As far as Full Frame terms I will leave that to others that are more familiar with those computations.
Surely FF terms aren't needed here - it is after all a micro four thirds forum so we should all be able to recognise the FOV from a ~600mm lens. Changes in aspect ratio make it a slightly more complex answer than the usual diagonal crop factors suggest.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Thanks for the info. Still needs cropping even with all that FL power, huh. The moon isn't large enough, obviously. ;)

HHHR, huh. Very interesting. Gives me another excuse for buying an E-M1.3 (I have an E-M5.3)! Are you using the idea of HHHR on a tripod for use with the moon because of the findings in this video, mentioned earlier in some other thread?:
(even if you are not, it is very informative, I think.) Using HHHR for the moving moon on a tripod is certainly non-stnadard, but that video says it is the best way and your results certainly indicate that. :)

Surely FF terms aren't needed here - it is after all a micro four thirds forum so we should all be able to recognise the FOV from a ~600mm lens. Changes in aspect ratio make it a slightly more complex answer than the usual diagonal crop factors suggest.
Yes, I can figure out what is what, as long as folks indicate what is used. I said, " (in FF terms, I suppose)" for a reason; I just wanted it to be clear what is needed to fill the frame with the moon in clear FL terms. From @MJRodock 's answer, we still need more! Time for some digi-scoping (oh no!!).

MJRodock

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the info. Still needs cropping even with all that FL power, huh. The moon isn't large enough, obviously. ;)

HHHR, huh. Very interesting. Gives me another excuse for buying an E-M1.3 (I have an E-M5.3)! Are you using the idea of HHHR on a tripod for use with the moon because of the findings in this video, mentioned earlier in some other thread?:
(even if you are not, it is very informative, I think.) Using HHHR for the moving moon on a tripod is certainly non-stnadard, but that video says it is the best way and your results certainly indicate that. :)

Yes, I can figure out what is what, as long as folks indicate what is used. I said, " (in FF terms, I suppose)" for a reason; I just wanted it to be clear what is needed to fill the frame with the moon in clear FL terms. From @MJRodock 's answer, we still need more! Time for some digi-scoping (oh no!!).
I did in fact watch that video and take cues from it. The E-M1.3 is a very nice camera.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The Moon over Cheshire. 28:47pm 25 February 2021.
C7B2DB15-53D8-4786-AD4D-D7DE329B9A37.jpeg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The Moon over Cheshire 2. 21:10pm. 25 February. 2021.
DE37BFA1-DF2D-47C7-9B73-FFAE6F4FA574.jpeg

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Moon over Northern Thailand tonight.

E-M1 Mark III, Oly 40-150mm Pro +MC20. 13 images stacked in Photoshop.

Hand held and all 13 shots maintained focus (thank you Oly IBIS) and very little variation in exposure. Stacked as it is moderately hazy here.
Moon Stacked work 4 1600.jpg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
A Snow Moon. 18:42pm. Friday 26 February. The Moon over Cheshire. Big. Bright.
2619229E-FB36-4022-9CBF-2F510E6D3A5C.jpeg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Wow.
I went for a short walk after my tea ad to take a quick shifty at the sunset.
As I walked back home, the moon was just rising over the farm and looked spectacular, as per MIke's photo.
I plan to go out a bit earlier tomorrow to try and get some pics, but bet any money that it'll be cloudy.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Cloudy out here now, in Sunny Cheshire. I shall keep looking out as the sky is darker and may improve the contrast/detail. Full moon at 07:00 am tomorrow morning.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Snow Moon 2. 20:30pm. Friday 26 February 2021. Over a cold Cheshire.
38C51BB2-4B63-431B-BF6E-9A8DCAFB2D10.jpeg

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Snow moon shot yesterday. using my trusted FZ82 for it. I have noticed over time that to get the best possible detail of the moon with the FZ82 I have to use the Panasonic app to get pinpoint focusing accuracy. Otherwise detail is lost.

2021-02-27 snow moon.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom