Moon shots

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Not my forte, but I have the occasional stab
PB140329.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
MF080006.JPG

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Just for the heck of it, my latest efforts with my new MC 20 and the 300mm f4

I look forward to trying this when the moon is waning and the detail is better.

But we are moving into winter, less clear nights ahead, so I took the gap tonight

_6031363.jpg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Wednesday Night Moon over Cheshire. 21:09pm. Cloudy.
P1290193-2.jpg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Thursday night over a hot Cheshire U.K.
108A8EE6-B8ED-4187-9D63-0F898FA48BA5.jpeg
E350DC1C-4D8D-42FB-A3AB-D24957F4CE9F.jpeg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
DSCF3954.JPG

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
100% crop
P7020295_DxO.jpg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
DSCF4092.JPG

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
DSCF4170.JPG

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Bit of a break in the weather tonight, plus the moon was visible at a decent hour at last.

It's cold outside, you can see the atmospheric haze on the outer edges - this was the best I was going to get.

_7251462.jpg

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
Finally I found a way to PP my HHHR image with final JPG to be not too soft. Here below is a link to the guy that provided the original practical guides from DPR forum so big thanks to him really.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4488814

One thing though I just cannot figure out why my final HHHR un-cropped JPG came out only 3mb in size while the non-HHHR image turned out at 7mb. Regardless of file size different, the HHHR image is better so I am happy :)

Note that you need to enlarge both images to the maximum to really see the different. The main thing is that I can feel it is worth while to use HHHR since I know how to PP it efficiently.

Non HHHR Image

50165954423_454b290bdd_3k.jpg
EM131772_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/gp/189242982@N03/Pt10z1

HHHR Image

50166976606_d9ee47b72b_6k.jpg
EM131771_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/gp/189242982@N03/0B2Hpo

Cheers

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I just cannot figure out why my final HHHR un-cropped came out only 3mb in size while the non-HHHR image turned out at 7mb
Probably because JPEG is a compressed picture/file format, there is much more black in your HHHR un-cropped so much more room for compression.
Now I am just guessing, so if I am wrong someone here will be sure to correct me! :)

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
Probably because JPEG is a compressed picture/file format, there is much more black in your HHHR un-cropped so much more room for compression.
Now I am just guessing, so if I am wrong someone here will be sure to correct me! :)

First of all, thanks for the inputs.

The Tiff file before exporting into JPG is 299MB and 121mb for HHHR and non-HHHR, respectively. I exported both the same way. I don't think a bit more black would make that big of the differences.

One thing I didn't mentioned in this thread is that I use Mac Photo to do final editing of the image and for the exporting into JPG. it is just the old habit :)

Unless I use Oly Workspace to do initial PP, I can never export the JPG using Tiff file from DxO with my Mac Photos. In essence, earlier I tried to use DxO to convert raw file into Tiff then use my Mac to do final touch up and exporting. The image is too soft and I couldn't never really export the JPG without weird artifacts.

Now, by producing OW Tiff, follow by DxO PP into another Tiff for final editing with my Mac Photos, that issue resolves except this small file mystery.

Anyhow, I am not going to loose my sleep as 3mb is plenty big enough for me and it retains better image quality than that 7mb non-HHHR JPG.

Cheers

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
First of all, thanks for the inputs.

The Tiff file before exporting into JPG is 299MB and 121mb for HHHR and non-HHHR, respectively. I exported both the same way. I don't think a bit more black would make that big of the differences.

One thing I didn't mentioned in this thread is that I use Mac Photo to do final editing of the image and for the exporting into JPG. it is just the old habit :)

Unless I use Oly Workspace to do initial PP, I can never export the JPG using Tiff file from DxO with my Mac Photos. In essence, earlier I tried to use DxO to convert raw file into Tiff then use my Mac to do final touch up and exporting. The image is too soft and I couldn't never really export the JPG without weird artifacts.

Now, by producing OW Tiff, follow by DxO PP into another Tiff for final editing with my Mac Photos, that issue resolves except this small file mystery.

Anyhow, I am not going to loose my sleep as 3mb is plenty big enough for me and it retains better image quality than that 7mb non-HHHR JPG.

Cheers
As I said I am not an expert, but the 2 pictures are not the same crop, so the HHHR has a lot more black in it. Maybe if you crop the same for both pictures you will get a different result.
And I know nothing about using a Mac for processing, I only use PC.
Good that you have found a way to process your pictures that work for you.

Rob J

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Rob
Hi, new member here. I thought I'd jump in with some moon shots. These days, I shoot with a Panasonic G9 but these were taken before I made the leap to the G9. These were taken with my previous Panasonic FZ200 and 300 super zoom cameras. (which I still have although seldom use now).

I have since taken a lot of shots of the moon with my G9 but they differ little from most of the shots posted here so I thought that I'd post some FZ shots that are a bit different than the higher res photos that show the craters in detail.

The last orange shot is a "blood moon".

(edited to say that I know that this is a micro four thirds forums so I hope posting photos from a non 4/3 camera is not breaking any hard and fast rules. If so, I apologize.

P1010560.JPG
P1020156.JPG
P1030987.jpg
P1030963.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Hi, new member here. I thought I'd jump in with some moon shots. These days, I shoot with a Panasonic G9 but these were taken before I made the leap to the G9. These were taken with my previous Panasonic FZ200 and 300 super zoom cameras. (which I still have although seldom use now).

I have since taken a lot of shots of the moon with my G9 but they differ little from most of the shots posted here so I thought that I'd post some FZ shots that are a bit different than the higher res photos that show the craters in detail.

The last orange shot is a "blood moon".

(edited to say that I know that this is a micro four thirds forums so I hope posting photos from a non 4/3 camera is not breaking any hard and fast rules. If so, I apologize.

View attachment 838334 View attachment 838335 View attachment 838337 View attachment 838338
Nice pictures!
Welcome to the forum! You will find it a friendly place.
About pictures from non µ-43 cameras they are mostly OK, but if the thread title contains µ-43 or similar it is probably meant for µ-43 pictures.
There is a New Member Introduction thread if you want to introduce yourself: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/new-member-introduction-thread.584/

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
Taken on Wednesday. 300f4+MC20 hand held of course.
091858BF-52CF-4459-8335-B2C9DDD5D3D5.jpeg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I was out last night viewing the moon with my 8" Dobsonian telescope and was amazed at the detail of the surface I was able to see.

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Tried this "colourising the moon" technique, maybe I overdid it a bit ..................

_7311489 C.jpg

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Second attempt, I think I overdid the one above

_7311489_1.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom