Moon shots

LVP

Mu-43 Regular
Casting shadows on the moon. Weather past few days did not allow for full moon capture.
Moon 3-071_DxO_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Casting shadows on the moon. Weather past few days did not allow for full moon capture. View attachment 876100
Beautiful shot!
But maybe a tighter crop removing some of the black on the right side (and maybe top and bottom) would make it even better!
Yes a black frame for the moon seems natural, but cropping a little will not hurt this picture, IMHO.

You might even want to hang it on your wall after a crop.

LVP

Mu-43 Regular
Beautiful shot!
But maybe a tighter crop removing some of the black on the right side (and maybe top and bottom) would make it even better!
Yes a black frame for the moon seems natural, but cropping a little will not hurt this picture, IMHO.

You might even want to hang it on your wall after a crop.
Thanks, I hear what you're saying, just went for something off center - kind of following the line of branches.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Thanks, I hear what you're saying, just went for something off center - kind of following the line of branches.
Well, I don't see any branches outside the moon area so maybe you are seeing different things on your monitor.
What I see is branches across the moon surface that kind of give a upside down V-shape on about the center of the moon, the rest is black.
Each to his own!

LVP

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I don't see any branches outside the moon area so maybe you are seeing different things on your monitor.
What I see is branches across the moon surface that kind of give a upside down V-shape on about the center of the moon, the rest is black.
Each to his own!
I appreciate your viewpoint. Exposing for the highlights did not give the branches any definition aside from the silhouette.
Do you think it's better centered as a square crop?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Just to be an annoying nitpicker (my best thing!), I'll mention that these would have to be ENORMOUS branches to cast an actual shadow on the moon! (I think "silhouette" is also another word for shadow). I guess they are more likely to be branches in front of the moon, obscuring a clear shot of it. But it would be very cool if they were shadows, I suppose (right before the aliens blew up our planet with their giant lasers!)

Edit - looking up "silhouette," one definition would fit what we have here, I think - the outline of the actual branches (not a shadow). Phew, glad I cleared that up! ;)

LVP

Mu-43 Regular
Just to be an annoying nitpicker (my best thing!), I'll mention that these would have to be ENORMOUS branches to cast an actual shadow on the moon! (I think "silhouette" is also another word for shadow). I guess they are more likely to be branches in front of the moon, obscuring a clear shot of it. But it would be very cool if they were shadows, I suppose (right before the aliens blew up our planet with their giant lasers!)

Edit - looking up "silhouette," one definition would fit what we have here, I think - the outline of the actual branches (not a shadow). Phew, glad I cleared that up! ;)
I sympathize and identify with nitpicking😉.
I chose "shadows" since they were out of focus and suggested a shadow effect vs .a silhouette, which I usually associate with greater definition. Literary license, if you will.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I appreciate your viewpoint. Exposing for the highlights did not give the branches any definition aside from the silhouette.
Do you think it's better centered as a square crop?
I don't know if a square crop would be better, but since you took this picture with the moon off centre, I think keeping the composition as it is works fine.
Cropping due to that you only had 400mm to work with is something else.
You can probably crop a bit and still print it large.

When it comes to picking nits, I am up there with the best or worst.

The best time to see the Last Quarter moon is in the AM hours in Georgia. Approximately 5:30AM. EM1.3
last quarter2.jpg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The
17544EFC-980B-443B-A6A9-8FA8C895FEB8.jpeg
moon over Cheshire. 21:10pm Sunday 21 March 2021. Lumix FZ82 bridge camera.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
That's your best shot yet, I think, @Mike Wingate . I think maybe it helps when it isn't full, with the craters along the edge of the shadow having more contrast and definition.
Thanks, yes it is a good one. You are correct, full moons do not show as much detail. Recently it has been a really silver moon, or having a white misty halo effect. I was lucky with this one.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I sympathize and identify with nitpicking😉.
I chose "shadows" since they were out of focus and suggested a shadow effect vs .a silhouette, which I usually associate with greater definition. Literary license, if you will.
Casting shadows would be especially fitting if you consider that the light of the moon was casting shadows of the branches on you and your camera.

Waxing Gibbous E-M1.3
moon.jpg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The Moon over a cloudy Cheshire. Wednesday 24 March. 2021. 20:23pm.
1D487097-0964-4C6F-99DE-9CAF7935D202.jpeg

82% Full Waxing Gibbous Moon over Covington, Georgia. 8:15 pm March 24, 2021,
waxing gibbous 82.jpg
E-M1.3 HHHR

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The Moon over Cheshire. Thursday 25 March. 2021. 19:17pm.
4D6BD91E-AD29-4378-A980-A359D8F8CDC0.jpeg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom