Moon shots

doxa750

Mu-43 Regular
Probably because JPEG is a compressed picture/file format, there is much more black in your HHHR un-cropped so much more room for compression.
Now I am just guessing, so if I am wrong someone here will be sure to correct me! :)
First of all, thanks for the inputs.

The Tiff file before exporting into JPG is 299MB and 121mb for HHHR and non-HHHR, respectively. I exported both the same way. I don't think a bit more black would make that big of the differences.

One thing I didn't mentioned in this thread is that I use Mac Photo to do final editing of the image and for the exporting into JPG. it is just the old habit :)

Unless I use Oly Workspace to do initial PP, I can never export the JPG using Tiff file from DxO with my Mac Photos. In essence, earlier I tried to use DxO to convert raw file into Tiff then use my Mac to do final touch up and exporting. The image is too soft and I couldn't never really export the JPG without weird artifacts.

Now, by producing OW Tiff, follow by DxO PP into another Tiff for final editing with my Mac Photos, that issue resolves except this small file mystery.

Anyhow, I am not going to loose my sleep as 3mb is plenty big enough for me and it retains better image quality than that 7mb non-HHHR JPG.

Cheers

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
First of all, thanks for the inputs.

The Tiff file before exporting into JPG is 299MB and 121mb for HHHR and non-HHHR, respectively. I exported both the same way. I don't think a bit more black would make that big of the differences.

One thing I didn't mentioned in this thread is that I use Mac Photo to do final editing of the image and for the exporting into JPG. it is just the old habit :)

Unless I use Oly Workspace to do initial PP, I can never export the JPG using Tiff file from DxO with my Mac Photos. In essence, earlier I tried to use DxO to convert raw file into Tiff then use my Mac to do final touch up and exporting. The image is too soft and I couldn't never really export the JPG without weird artifacts.

Now, by producing OW Tiff, follow by DxO PP into another Tiff for final editing with my Mac Photos, that issue resolves except this small file mystery.

Anyhow, I am not going to loose my sleep as 3mb is plenty big enough for me and it retains better image quality than that 7mb non-HHHR JPG.

Cheers
As I said I am not an expert, but the 2 pictures are not the same crop, so the HHHR has a lot more black in it. Maybe if you crop the same for both pictures you will get a different result.
And I know nothing about using a Mac for processing, I only use PC.
Good that you have found a way to process your pictures that work for you.

Rob J

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Rob
Hi, new member here. I thought I'd jump in with some moon shots. These days, I shoot with a Panasonic G9 but these were taken before I made the leap to the G9. These were taken with my previous Panasonic FZ200 and 300 super zoom cameras. (which I still have although seldom use now).

I have since taken a lot of shots of the moon with my G9 but they differ little from most of the shots posted here so I thought that I'd post some FZ shots that are a bit different than the higher res photos that show the craters in detail.

The last orange shot is a "blood moon".

(edited to say that I know that this is a micro four thirds forums so I hope posting photos from a non 4/3 camera is not breaking any hard and fast rules. If so, I apologize.

P1010560.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1020156.JPG
P1030987.jpg
P1030963.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Hi, new member here. I thought I'd jump in with some moon shots. These days, I shoot with a Panasonic G9 but these were taken before I made the leap to the G9. These were taken with my previous Panasonic FZ200 and 300 super zoom cameras. (which I still have although seldom use now).

I have since taken a lot of shots of the moon with my G9 but they differ little from most of the shots posted here so I thought that I'd post some FZ shots that are a bit different than the higher res photos that show the craters in detail.

The last orange shot is a "blood moon".

(edited to say that I know that this is a micro four thirds forums so I hope posting photos from a non 4/3 camera is not breaking any hard and fast rules. If so, I apologize.

View attachment 838334View attachment 838335View attachment 838337View attachment 838338
Nice pictures!
Welcome to the forum! You will find it a friendly place.
About pictures from non µ-43 cameras they are mostly OK, but if the thread title contains µ-43 or similar it is probably meant for µ-43 pictures.
There is a New Member Introduction thread if you want to introduce yourself: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/new-member-introduction-thread.584/

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
Taken on Wednesday. 300f4+MC20 hand held of course.

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Tried this "colourising the moon" technique, maybe I overdid it a bit ..................

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Second attempt, I think I overdid the one above

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
I think this (IMO) is the best one; how did you achieve it BTW?:th_salute:
For the first attempt I just followed this tutorial - https://photographingspace.com/find-the-secret-and-subtle-color-in-moon-photos/

For the second pic I took this route:

Opened the RAW file in ACR​
Took the Saturation up to 100%​
Took the Vibrance up to 80%​
Adjusted the WB - this may take a bit of tweaking, I adjusted the two sliders slightly to get the desired effect.​
Used the Clarity, Dehaze sliders as well​
I also played around a bit with the Color Mixer - mostly Saturation - Reds, Oranges and Blue. Ditto the Hue slider.​
You can also do NR here if you want​
Opened in Photoshop - applied High Pass sharpening​
I then cropped to a 1:1 ratio​
Upresed the pic, saved as a Jpeg​
I then revisited an older shot and applied the settings.

_5031054.jpg

Edit: Added this one for comparison, just a bit of +15 Saturation in PS via an adjustment layer.
Probably my favourite.

Last edited:

Lawrence Beck

Mu-43 Regular
A shot from last Friday with the OMD EM1 Mk2 + Leica 400 APO 2.8 with stacked 1.4 and 2X APO converters. I tried this a number of times while living down on the Sea of Cortez, in San Carlos, Mexico but the high humidity and dust of the Sonora desert at sea level made for poor atmospherics and that significantly compromised moon shots.
I'm now in northern Baja in an area free of industrial pollution and a mile from the coast. The cooler air temperatures and cleaner atmospherics make for a higher quality image, in spite of stacked teleconverters which are seldom the route to quality IQ.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
Two full moons ago (in June) - was browsing through my photos and thought I should post it here.
GM5 + 35-100 kit zoom @ 100mm - so far from fancy for gear!

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Red moon in the CA smoke last night. Essentially a SOOC cropped jpeg (I still haven't figured out a new raw workflow)

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Moon over northern Thailand after a break in the monsoon rains. E-M1 Mark III, Oly 40-150mm PRO + TC20 at 300mm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom