Moon shots

Rabid_dog

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick
My First pic's of the moon
Taken with G5 + 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6

1/25 sec at f/11, iso160
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/15 sec at f/11, iso 160

aragorn1980

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Takis
I like the second one better than the first.Make sure you use a tripod, you will be able to achieve sharper images. Spot metering is working best in AF for the lens you are using.Also give a try to take photo with 1/100 or 1/150 sec it produced good images for me.Keep up working! Moon is a hard thing to capture!

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I like the second one better than the first.Make sure you use a tripod, you will be able to achieve sharper images. Spot metering is working best in AF for the lens you are using.Also give a try to take photo with 1/100 or 1/150 sec it produced good images for me.Keep up working! Moon is a hard thing to capture!
Agreed the movement of the moon makes faster speeds worthwhile, whilst DOF is not an issue. At reasonable magnifications it traverses the field of view supprisingly quickly.
I usually stick to manual exposures for the moon. It's constantly lit, depending on the focal length and composition the surface of the moon may not fully cover the center exposure sensor.

Rabid_dog

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the tip will try the faster shutter speed

aragorn1980

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Takis
Share your results and be patient with the moon. It may take a while but when you get the proper shot you 'll be excited with the result! Good luck!

aragorn1980

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Takis
This is one i took some time ago with Samyang 500mm f6.3. Haven't done a lot of work in Lightroom but it is a fair shot for me. Taken at MF and 1/300s.
Don't worry about gathering light, the moon is pure and powerful light by itself. Try setting your iso between 100 and 200 the most and give it a go.

This one is one of my first taken with the 45-175 panny. Good luck! :thumbup:

mharges

Mu-43 Rookie
I found this photographer's blog via Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). He has a number of tips for photographing the moon: Frequently Asked Questions | Capturing the Night

Atmospheric conditions will also affect the quality of your shot. The shot below is the best I've been able to achieve and it was taken on a cold still night last December with the Panasonic 100-300. In April we had a week of really clear weather here in Seattle that coincided with a nearly full moon and even with the clear skys I couldn't get a good shot because of the air. I could actually see a shimmer from the turbulence in the upper atmosphere when I hit the manual focus magnify.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/47361582@N00/8305050380/" title="Moon 2012-12-20, 16x10 by mlharges, on Flickr">
"800" height="500" alt="Moon 2012-12-20, 16x10"></a>

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
moon of yesterday (exposure stacking)

Rabid_dog

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick
Tried another sot at the moon tonight

aragorn1980

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Takis
Definitely this is a better shot than the previous ones! Now you can work a little with your photo editor in order to reduce your background noise which is present in your current shot.Lightroom is a very good program with lots of parameters that can enhance your shot! Keep shooting you are getting better results already!:thumbup:

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Find something that has a small radius despeckle for more specific action than the unknown action in LR.

FocusMagic is pretty good, IRIS is free but hard to use and exceptionally powerful, there are others.

Took this with the omd & 45mm. Its more moon and trees than 100% moon shot.

-Joe

uci2ci

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sam
Took this with the omd & 45mm. Its more moon and trees than 100% moon shot.

-Joe

Makes me wanna break out my Castlevania games :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom