Moon shot

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    This is a picture of the moon I took. This was used with my 5 inch reflector and a 25mm eyepiece. This would be considered afocal astro photography. I used the Oly Kit zom lens. The toughest part was focusing. The eyepiece produces some of its own distortions from the center of the field, and its evident tha the left side of the moon looks slightly out of focus. Not bad considering my first doing this with this camera.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Not bad? It's fantastic and good for you for being so creative in following your interest in astronomy with your camera!

If you haven't read or heard of this book, I think you might find it very interesting. Here is a link to the book review in the NY Times from July 8, 2009 It's THE AGE OF WONDER
    How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science
    By Richard Holmes, and I have a feeling if you just read the first paragraph of this review you'll be hooked. It is very good.:thumbup:
  3. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    Djarum, do you mind describing a little your setup. I dont know if i am alone in not knowing how you use the 5in reflector together with the camera... but i would be interested in finding out more about it. A relevant link would also suffice.
    best regards, Jon
  4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Was this the same LCROSS that impacted the moon back in 2009? It was a complete success, the shepherd stage collecting and transmitting good data from the plume before impacting six minutes later.
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

MY attempt at lunar photography

i just took these last night .. I was up late and felt like seeing how my 500mm mirror lens would work. I think next time ill try shooting earlier because the moon was setting and i felt it was moving too fast to get crisp photos.
    I was playing around with the shutter speed to see what would look better.
    I don't know witch Of mine i like tho.
    I like your Moon Photo tho Djarum

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1