1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Moon shot with Olympus e-pm2

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Jul 7, 2014.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    This is a shot of the moon using an Olympus e-pm2 and 25 f/1.8 prime lens. I used my homemade 8" reflector telescope (with dobsonian mount) and the image was taken by placing the prime lens over a 25mm eyepiece.

Luna2.

• Like Like x 25
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not bad at all. I've got a few with my 8" but I did it using prime, or without an EP. Just used the reflector as lens.

3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks Djarum! I would love to see one of your moon pics taken using your reflector as the lens. I don't have a tracking platform (I am in the process of building one) so until then I can only place the camera against the eyepiece for very short exposures.

Cheers!

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    You don't need to track as long as exposures are short enough.

moon_8inchs.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  5. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Beautiful shot! I guess I will have to get a couple of adaptors for my camera to attach to the focuser and try it...

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Those a great shots!! I bought a telescope to try my hand at this.Total failure! cannot get the moon in the objective and the adapters wont allow focusing... Anyway, the size and quality of the image from the telescope is no better that what I can get with a 50-200 zuiko lens and cropping the image. Actually, the cropped images from the camera are better that I can see with the Celestion telescope :frown:

hHwJpln.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    georgian82, that is AWESOME.

8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I don't know anything about astrophotography, having a hard time picturing your setup. The photo is awesome, though!

9. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    georgian82 - that is sweet. so sharp
    Would it be as sharp without the telescope? Did you do a lot of post processing?

10. Nesq

Nesq New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Beautiful shots. Very well done.

11. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi Cr0B4r - Thanks! I am not sure how the sharpness would differ if done without the telescope. Keep in mind that moon shots are tricky because the quality of the image depends on other factors besides your own equipment. Sometimes for example you can see a lot of warm current in the moon...almost like when you see warm air rise from the pavement, which obviously degrades the quality of the final shot. I took this picture in a very steady and cold night which helped with all of that.

Finally, that final image is minimally post processed...I think I may have added a bit of contrast but that's about it.

Cheers!