1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moon at 300mm

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by bilzmale, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

GH1; 1/1250'; f/8; ISO 800; tripod.

5537274408_79e1091fca_b.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Interesting that you got some stars in there.
    I've been mooning today too.
    In sharpening it seems handy if you have the tools to just sharpern the detail areas so you don't get the sharpening blotches in the smooth bits.
    I'm frustrated that I couldn't match the clarity I was getting in live view. I will have to work that out and try again.
    But anyhow, at 150mm (m.zuiko 40-150) this is what I got today (quite nice to see the consequence of being on the other side of the planet compared to yours):

[​IMG]

There was a another moon thread that had some moons that were beyond beating.

• Like Like x 4
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    bilzmale... cool image of the moon! Thanks for sharing it.

4. Moon at perigee this weekend.

There was a blurp on NPR about the full moon at perigee this weekend. Fortunate to live in area that by IDSA standards is considered a "dark sky region". RH is low, but the weather forecast is for cloudy:frown: . Not sure of what type of image I can capture with the GF1 + 45-200mm. Still there is hope. NWS has not been 100% spot on.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I only have a 150...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    great shots...you guys complain about the lack of sharpness....remember, the earth is always moving, and you are taking one shot...I read somewhere ( here ? ), a post by an astrophotographer, that he actually layers multiple shots in order to attain a clear image. when i say multiple, i think it was quite alot.....i didn't really understand it all...but it made sense in the end....

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Image stacking is common for astro images; folks will stack dozens of short exposures, only keeping those split seconds when the atmosphere isn't wavering as much. That's as much a problem as earthly rotation especially with extended objects. It's amazing to defocus the moon or a planet in a telescope, you can watch the atmospheric blurring come and go - especially on a night if the jet stream is overhead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yes, the closest the moon will be to Earth since 18 years ago.
    'Stargazers hope to see bigger and brighter moon but will have to look closely to detect 0.3% difference'

Yes, I found out the darned thing visibly moves at high zoom (either that or my tripod mount was drifting). Need a fast exposure. I forgot I had my camera fixed to ISO 100, so that was part of my problem.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve

Here's tonight's shot after reading all the posts...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Here's some shots I saw on someone's blog this morning, some people might be interested.

ddoi Moon pix

11. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Hmmm, I already posted it in another thread, this is my shot from yesterday's evening. I challenged my friend with Canon 70-200 f2.8 lens and I won :)

btw SRHEdD, why do you kick your ISO that high?

GF1 + 45-200mm @ 200mm 1/500 f8 ISO100

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. What's the slowest shutter speed you could shoot at 400mm (35mm equiv.) to capture an image of the moon & not have the moons motion effect the sharpness?