1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Monthly Motivational Photo Project Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bokeaji, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    (Note: there have been a few changes to how we will run this challenge, made in order to get things running as smoothly as possible! Please take a moment to scan over the rules again! Sorry for the inconvenience!)

We have a few short term photo challenges, but some of us thought a longer term cohesive photo project, done as a group, could be fun! It will give us all practice working on a longer goal, and also get some good constructive criticism going between us all!
    [*] Yay community growth! :drinks:

So this month, I think we should do our projects on:
    "MARCH: Local Pride - while using an in camera art filter"
    You can interpret this anyway you like. Get creative! You may PP the jpg!

Each participant should post their best 3 photos taken DURING the challenges' time period. Participants may write a description for each photo if they like. You may begin posting your first entry at any time. We have started a few days early in order to work out any bugs in starting up a new challenge(see blue note at top, lol). Please post each photo in a seperate posting.

In this case, the submission deadline will be March 24, and voting will end the following week on March 31.​

This will give us all time to do more than a passing glance at the works before moving onto the next project, and plenty of time to post some of that quality feedback! :thumbup:

The voting will be different than typical challenges. Everyone on MU-43.com who wants to, participating or not, may vote!

In order to vote, you must first give some thoughtful comments and constructive criticism to at least 1 participants project entry...[**]​

...though, the more the better! This means a few things, that there isn't just 1 judge; that you may vote even if you did not participate in the challenge; and that you may participate in the challenge without voting. The winner will, as is typical, choose the next months theme. They will also be responsible for tallying up the votes and announcing the winner.[***] However, they will also be allowed to participate in the next challenge.

The real goal here is to help people work on cohesive photo projects as well as getting some quality feedback for improvements flowing between all of us! I'm sure we've all posted something we thought was brilliant and sadly realized that no one made a single COMMENT on it. [Thanks] are great, as are "I LOVE THAT SHOT!" but some more thoughtful feedback's always better! :2thumbs:

Voting will be via the [THANKS] button.

Make sure you don't use it unless its a vote! You can vote for as many as you like, and whoever has the most after a week of consideration will be our monthly winner. This is a photo project, so cohesion among the 3 photos should play a role.

[*]Please also remember that while we ARE asking for some criticism, that this is a FRIENDLY community, and there are proper ways to tell someone of ways they can improve.:drinks:

[**]Voting will be done on the honor system, so please be sure to leave quality feedback before voting!

[***]As it is the first month, and KVG and I worked on this together, whichever of us wakes up first can do the tallying and announcement.

- Thank you!

• Like Like x 7
  2. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Good one, I was thinking about instead of shooting Raw and then P&P, use one of the film modes built in my camera instead.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Just to clarify - we have to use an in-camera art mode/filter for this one? I'm down for a challenge and some critique, not so much shooting JPG though :tongue:

EDIT: ooh, looks like GH3 lets you shoot RAW and still use art modes after all :thumbup:

You said voting ends Mar 31, but voting goes one week after the deadline for submissions - so the submission deadline is Mar 24th?

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, that's the idea for this one! Have fun!

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The reason is to get some people out of their comfort zones and try new things.

6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Gotcha.

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    yes, an in camera filter will be used for this project. I understand your reluctance to use an in camera processing engine, I'm a big fan of post processing my own work, but KVG and I decided on combing the 2 themes in hopes of getting people out of their comfort zones a tad. We also understand that not every project will be something everyone wants to do. Hopefully you all understand the idea that you can't please everyone all the time. :eek: We just hope you enjoy what you can! And maybe come back to leave some feedback for those who do participate!:2thumbs:

George Takei recently posted a photo showing:
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
    lets do some JPG-living!:cool:

Yes! Thank you! I over-edited and have fix'd it!:th_salute:

[Edit]
    darn my slowness in looking up that quotes origin!
    KVG beat me to it! :D
    [/Edit]

8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Cool... looking forward to it :)

So is this open to entries now, or does it not officially start until March?

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'm gonna start this project at a Flames game tonight :2thumbs: The wife and I are taking my daughters to their first NHL game tonight, its gonna be awesome. I hope it's as good as the game I went to last night with Mrs. Valerie:love:

• Like Like x 1
  10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have no problems shooting JPEG, but can I still edit them afterwards? Or is it straight out of camera?

11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Thanks for your effort on this Bokeaji
    Good format and well drafted
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons

Editing is cool

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Open for entries starting today! But your photos must be taken no earlier than today

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I had a lot of help from KVG on this! He put up with the $0.00 pay of being the editor in chief, lol!

• Like Like x 1
  15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Lets get motivated! I'll start:biggrin:

I'm Canadian and whats more Canadian then going to cheer on the local hockey team to a 5-4 win:dance3: Go Flames Go!

HDR filter on the GX1, plus PP

The Local Pride by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    some rules have been modified in order to simplify things a bit, please review the first post :)
    sorry for the inconvenience
    thank you!

eliot!

17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well hopefully some others are organizing and editing for a last second entry as well... :)

Else, mebbe a long contest isnt a good idea just for the amount of downtime the thread will inevitably have...?

i went for wacky.. of course
    texas is all about the texas flag, and austin is all about weird, so i ended up either using grainy bw, or pinhole and then making it bw anyways, then adding a red and blue filter over it for a more texas flag feel to the images

austin is the live music capital of the world, boasting ridiculous amounts of live music venues throughout the city
    we just had SXSW March 8 - 17!
    As many large cities will have stone monuments of various shapes painted and on display, austin has both guitars and cows.

P2280088.

18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    with all these live bands, some of our poles are covered with flyers for various bars and music events

[​IMG]

19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    P2280106.

Alamo drafthouse is a local movie theatre chain that helps to keep austin weird by hosting movie nights of cult classics, where they often will have a special restaurant menu based on foods from the film. Other times they hand out cap guns and encourage people to shoot em up during a gun fight in an old western!

in the post processing challenge i won, it was mentioned that the way i editted the image made it seem like it could be hanging on a wall somewhere
    so i thought id do these up in a way that mebbe someone from austin would want them as a collection

comments are welcome, and my feelings wont be hurt if you srsly cant stand the red n blue thing :)

lets be different!