Montana

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by oldracer, Sep 21, 2012.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    P1040234-Edit.

Downloaded Silver Efex Pro today. This is my first try at using it. Kind of fun. Suggestions welcome.

• Like Like x 6
  2. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    A little more contrast and maybe burn in the sky a bit?

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    My thoughts too, but great picture!

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I'd agree with that...but will add that you should level the horizon. (A pet peeve of mine....Sorry.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, guys.

Re contrast I still want to zip up the contrast in the sky. The clouds aren't getting to pure white. Probably Silver Efex has a control for that but if I don't find it I'll just push up the top right corner of the transfer curve. That will also zip up the center stripe and the fog lines, hence apparent contrast.

Re burn-in that is the exact opposite of what I want. Montana is "big sky country" so to turn the sky into a dark, brooding, thing is not where I want to be. I'll wait until I've tweeked the clouds to see what else I want to do to the sky.

newbert, I smiled when I saw your post. The first thing I did to the picture was to level the horizon. The effect of that, however, was to lose the symmetry at the bottom of the photo where the fog lines leave the frame. So I changed the leveling to make the fog lines level at the point of exit. The photo was shot hand-held, simply using the viewfinder guide lines as a level reference. At the time I shot it, I wasn't smart enough to realize what a relentlessly symmetric exercise in plane geometry this would be. Next time I'll use my bubble level. I'm also going to see what happens when I make the road stripe vertical. Maybe the hills really are higher to the left!

I'm going to fool with the photo more this afternoon and I'll post the result. No time until then.

In the mean time, here is one that did not want to be black & white. I wish the sky had a little less of the dirty-looking haze but I like the texture of the wheat.

P1040235.

6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Check the utility poles; definitely leaning. I would straighten, then crop left side of image to preserve symmetry. Tweak contrast but don't overdo it. Just IMHO.

p.s. Have you tried Snapseed? Inexpensive program to do the basics and then some.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Ahh ... It didn't occur to me to crop. I almost never crop except once in a while to a square format. Cropping just doesn't come to mind in a situation like this. I think your suggestion was a definite improvement. Note that the crop also removed a telephone pole from the left, increasing symmetry between the two sides.

I also tweeked the upper left (edit: I meant "right.") of the transfer curve to get better whites in the clouds and the road striping. That's something I was already planning to do and it looks good to me.

Now that horizontal crack in the foreground/left lane bugs me. It looks like a scratched negative. I may take that out and call this photo finished.

P1040234-Edit-2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Excellent job!