Monoprice power and USB cables

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Bruce McL, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

My overseas market Panasonic camera came with a typical plastic brick battery charger, along with a power cable that is far from typical in my part of the world. The seller added a big bulky adapter at the already bulky end of the cable to make it work with US AC power.

I read the writing on the black brick, inspected the jack that the cord plugged into, and risked $2.53 at monoprice for a three foot long cable appropriate to the United States.

3ft 18AWG Figure 8 Shape AC Power Cord Cable w/o Polarized (C-7/1-15P) - Black -

My camera travel kit is now lighter, smaller, and simpler. I have ordered computer and phone oriented cables from monoprice in the past, and they’ve never let me down. I definitely recommend them if you are in their service area and need a cable or two. I was going to put this in "what equipment did you buy this week," as a bit of a joke, but I realized that if you haven't heard of monoprice they deserve more than a joke. They take this stuff seriously.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! -
    • Like Like x 2
  2. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Been there, done that :) The chargers themselves are multivoltage, so no problem with swapping the cable. I've even got an adapter somewhere that is basically a right angle figure 8 to AC plug with no cable between.

My last purchase came with a UK cable plus a universal travel adapter, all of which might turn out to be useful for an upcoming UK trip. I was hoping for a US charger, since those usually have fold out pins rather than a separate lead, and are easy to modify to bend to fit a NZ socket.
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    +1 Monoprice is a good vendor and, bonus, is cheap.

After much experimentation and testing I have discovered that many, maybe the majority, of usb charging cables for phone and tablet are built with very tiny, high resistance, wires that limit the charge rate obtained from even a good charger. Monoprice is one source for good ones. They are marked as "28/24AWG Cable," referring to wire size. The larger 24 gauge wire is used for the power wires. I would suggest throwing away ALL non-OEM charging cables and buying a handful of these in the 1.5 and 3 foot sizes. Example: 1.5ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated) - They are only about a buck apiece.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I will add to what oldracer has said. Some of the reviews on Amazon of power cables say similar things about the size and electrical carrying capacity of the actual wire inside of plastic power cables. The story I read about monoprice is that they were started by people who were outraged at the claims, prices, and lack of performance in high-end audio cables. So they built and sold their own - or found a manufacturer that would build to their specs, I'm not sure which. Either way, good performance and price of cables is how their business and their good reputation got started.
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Interesting story. I had not heard that. Probably the audio cables they were disgusted by were Monster. Me, too. I don't know why some ambitious state attorney general has not long since shut down those fraudsters.

FWIW, Anker is another good supplier of cables. I have tested their "20AWG" cables and they are fine. I see now that they have a line called "Powerline" that claims "thicker" and "wide diameter"wire that is probably OK as well. Same caution on power supplies as on cables: I have tested many "2 amp" power supplies that don't even come close. OEM supplies are good and I have had good results with some Anker supplies that I have tested as well.
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
  7. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I think you are right, Monster had a role in the disgust that led to the creation of Monoprice. They (Monster) were suing Beats audio a while back, now I think they are suing Apple.

The Anker brand brings back memories of working in a computer sales/service shop in the very early '90's. They stocked and sold Anker. What little I know about PC hardware I learned from the techs there. They were installing, setting up, and repairing lots of WP Office, a little bit of the new Windows 3.1, and were one of the few places still servicing Kaypro computers! That was an interesting collection of characters - the people who would bring their old Kaypros in for servicing! The techs working in the back were very picky about their cables, especially the guy who built the WP Office servers.
  8. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    My first computer was a Kaypro. Cost a ton and didn't even have a hard drive!

+1 on Monoprice.
  9. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Monoprice has LONG been a solid supplier of quality cables of all kinds at decent prices. I've also bought a couple of fantastic value-for-the-money TV wall-mounts from them.
  10. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm fairly happy with my Noise Cancelling Headphones from them, but to keep it on topic, I did purchase a ball head for my tripod.

Product Details for PID 12025

$40 for one that feels nice and rated for 15kg.

They also have some nice tripods it appears, but reviews are scarce.