Monochrome - GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Spaceghost33, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Anyone ever play with the settings for the "monochrome" on a GF1? Just curious if anyone has tried to modify the standard monochrome settings to get something other than the slightly green-ish results of the monochrome preset.

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I haven't...but what I've heard often, and experienced a little on my own, is that monochrome results usually are better handled in post-processing. Obviously if you shoot jpgs that isn't any help at all... :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Have you tried the "film modes" on the GF1? There are three B&W modes: Standard, Dynamic and Smooth. Dynamic B&W is particularly effective for scenes where high contrast is desired; some stunning images have been created using this mode. For each of the B&W film types, you can adjust contrast, sharpness and noise reduction to taste.

Monochrome color mode "caputres the subject using tones characteristic of black and white photography, and with a whisper of color". If you don't want the whispering color, use one of the B&W film modes; they're a lot of fun!

4. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Thanks crsnydertx. I typically use Dynamic B&W with some settings tweaked. You're right, the film modes give spectacular results. I was just wondering if anyone ever played with the monochrome setting. Mostly, this curiousity has been sparked by the Leica Monochrom. Not that I think you could get similar results with a GF1 of course :) , just the name reminded me of the "monochrome" setting on the Pany.

6601134077_c361a825b3_b. 6419724327_e7ef1415e9_b.

5. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I had a go at it recently and took this one. I did wonder why when I printed it there was green ink mixed in with it though it looked better once it had dried out properly.

P1020698.