Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brianvickers, Aug 28, 2011.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I bet this has been discussed before, so sorry if it has.
    I'm using Aperture on a MacBook Air and want a bigger screen.
    What spec do I need?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    What is your budget?

Will you be using it for mostly photo editing, office apps, gaming, or a mix?

In general you want to look for a monitor with good sRGB color accuracy, so that your prints look as close to what they did on your display. Be careful of panels promoting wide-gamut as these will make the colors look cartoonish compared to what comes out on a print.

One of the review sites I like checking out for monitor is PRAD (german, but english version also). They did a recent review of the NEC PA241W and it looks very nice (it does have a displayport port for your macbook):

PRAD | Review NEC PA241W
    seem to like it at B&H also:
    NEC MultiSync PA241W-BK 24" Widescreen LCD PA241W-BK B&H

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Lots of factors to consider. Size, price, connectivity, display technology. For photography use with LightRoom or Aperture you will definitely want a wide screen format. I'd choose at least 22" if not 24". If you can afford it, choose one with IPS technology. They are expensive and not plentiful, but they are awesome. Least desireable would be a TN panel - I would avoid those if at all possible, though they are inexpensive, if that's all you want.

There is a lot to know about computer displays; I'd suggest you do some Googling and get schooled up on them so you can make a very well-informed decision.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I recently purchased a MacBook Pro, the only reason I didn't buy the Air was due to the lower screen resolution. You definitely should upgrade your monitor if you process a lot of photos.

G

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I love Apple's 27" display. Some criticism can be leveled at the glossy finish when used in some environments (which is quite reflective), but it used in a place where you don't have bright lights or windows behind you, the display quality is absolutely stunning... and is IPS! I also have an NEC 24" S-IPS panel with a matte screen which is arguably a better choice for critical color work due to the matte screen surface.

Agree on avoiding wide gamut monitors, except for editing strictly for web display. Output to print is best edited with standard gamut displays.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I should have noted that the NEC I linked is actually wide gamut, but that its sRGB setting is very accurate. This is the important point when looking at monitors. The cheap wide gamut monitors will be far removed from color accuracy.

7. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks for this, I was looking for a checklist maybe resolution, contrast ratio etc.
    Also don't I need RGB instead of sRGB?
    Budget is either £250 for a screen, but I've seen a 27" iMac refurb for £800 which might be a better solution.