Monitor calibration differences

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
Righto, one file saved as Silkypix default jpeg, the other in sRGB. I don't think that's the issue. They still look a little bit different contrast wise, to what I'm seeing within SP though. I think it's the browsers playing silly b#ggers

@speedy on my browser both images look the same on my displays. JPEG picture files are typically encoded as sRGB as many programs default to that for output. It is capable of storing color for larger color spaces. Silkypix is likely using some profile as it's default and your browser is using the Windows profile you currently have set as the default, probably the one you made with the display tuning wizard. How the particular jpeg processor deals with it could vary at creation time. On Windows, browsers don't always behave as expected. I ran into this little KB post about that on the BenQ support site just now: https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/web-browsers-color-management.html

It sucks that color management is such a confusing and cumbersome mess!

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@speedy on my browser both images look the same on my displays. JPEG picture files are typically encoded as sRGB as many programs default to that for output. It is capable of storing color for larger color spaces. Silkypix is likely using some profile as it's default and your browser is using the Windows profile you currently have set as the default, probably the one you made with the display tuning wizard. How the particular jpeg processor deals with it could vary at creation time. On Windows, browsers don't always behave as expected. I ran into this little KB post about that on the BenQ support site just now: https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/web-browsers-color-management.html

It sucks that color management is such a confusing and cumbersome mess!
You're not wrong about that. If I ever want to print something at a print place, I'll always do a 6x4 or 10x whatever small test print first, tweak if I'm not happy with that, and hopefully nothing's changed by the time I get back 🥺

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I don't know. The output file dropdown menu just presents you with SP default, sRGB, RGB & a couple of others I can't think of off hand. I seem to recall running into this previously, when Google & MS can't seem to help themselves fiddling with things in the background. Browsers are weird things IMO. Oddly enough, Chrome displays my images as quite soft at any magnification, even though they're saved within their own system -that being Google photos. Maybe it's something to do with trying to save bandwidth & using caches or something. Way beyond me. Brave or Firefox show varying degrees of softness depending on magnification, & that's not even going over 100%
Yes, a lot of companies will compress your images and not necessarily tell you or the viewer they are doing so. I have mostly got in the habit of using browsers when I am viewing my images outside of LR. I know that does not help when sharing your images, but it does minimize color management issues a bit. You should be able to find the culprit and get things straightened out, but it may take a bit more sleuthing.

--Ken

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
I think that both Firefox and Chrome are colour managed, and support aRGB.

Last time I checked, neither of them supported ProPhotoRGB 16 bit - f'ugly!

I learned today you can tell the browsers to use color management explicitly. With Firefox you actually specify the profile to use which may be problematic if you have two different displays where the display specific profiles could be quite different as well. The BenQ KB I referenced earlier is what I used. I use Firefox, Chrome, New Edge (Chromium-based) and Vivali (also Chromium-based). The instructions for Chrome apply to the Chromium browsers as well. I have yet to run comparisons between the browser behaviors in my particular configuration.

As far as ProPhotoRGB in Lr Classic, it is only shown in the develop module. The Library module and some others display in AdobeRGB, and other functions use sRGB. More craziness for sure.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/color-faq.html

I think my replies may be taking us off course as far as Speedy's original request goes.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I learned today you can tell the browsers to use color management explicitly. With Firefox you actually specify the profile to use which may be problematic if you have two different displays where the display specific profiles could be quite different as well. The BenQ KB I referenced earlier is what I used. I use Firefox, Chrome, New Edge (Chromium-based) and Vivali (also Chromium-based). The instructions for Chrome apply to the Chromium browsers as well. I have yet to run comparisons between the browser behaviors in my particular configuration.

As far as ProPhotoRGB in Lr Classic, it is only shown in the develop module. The Library module and some others display in AdobeRGB, and other functions use sRGB. More craziness for sure.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/color-faq.html

I think my replies may be taking us off course as far as Speedy's original request goes.
Ha ha ha. Nah, it's all good. Always happy to attempt to learn the background stuff, to help figure out what may be related issues. Even if not directly related 😃
Oh, and of I haven't replied directly to others posting suggestions here, I'm not ignoring you. More digesting what you've said. Cheers, and many thanks.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom