1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Monitor Calibration - Dell U2412M

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by HaViet, Apr 17, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Did you calibrate your monitor?

If yes, what was your calibration process? What device and software did you use?

I am coming from calibrating projector and plasma tvs and I do own an X-rite i1 display pro colorimeter. My software of choice is Color HCFR. Calibration is lengthy process.

I play with the the X-Rite i1Profiler, which was extremely quick and painless but I won't how accurate of a job it does. It did not ask me to make any changes to contrast/brightness, colors, saturation, etc on my monitor. It seems to took a bunch of readings of the different colors and create a profile that Windows uses to adjust the graphic rendering software/hardware. I haven't done any validation to ensure how far off i1Profiler is, but I doubt it's quick profile process would result in dEs of less than 3 across the grayscale.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have a lower level Eizo monitor and calibrate with their branded puck.

It seems to work pretty well, but I am finding that what looks good on a backlit screen needs a little bump in brightness for printing. I wonder if others find this true, or if I need to do a better job of dialing in screen and ambient lighting?

3. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    No, but I should as my prints are far off from how the pics look on my screen. I'll be thankful on any tip in the right direction as I see this becoming quite important as the number of pictures worth printing increase. I understand the "settings" for on screen view and printing differ, but do winder whether there is a possibility to create a "template" calibration for each purpose.

4. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I calibrate my projectors and HDTV with an X-rite i1Display Pro meter and Color HCFR calibrating software, along with a AVSHD pattern discs.

It is a lengthy process that requires you to typically run through a point grayscale adjustments, correcting your primary and secondary colors with the right saturation and luminance. It is necessary if you wish to project accurate colors from your HDTV and home theater projector.

I haven't gone through this process with a monitor since I haven't felt the need to. I did a quick run with i1Profiler, but I feel that is a quick fix and far from being a properly calibrating a process. And based on what I have read thus, i1Profiler is not the solution if your goal is to reach the D65 target within a dE of 3.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If you want to print (and for the prints to resemble anything like what's on your monitor), then calibration is essential. I use a Spyder 3. Seems to work well enough.

6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    two things :)

1) what is your brightness set to ? 110 to 120 cd/m2 ? make sure that is correct and try to lower that if you can with your monitor ?
    often some less expensive that top pro monitors cant get lower without some sacrificing of quality though :)

2)this could also be what the print is ?
    meaning the printer itself just has those characteristics
    look into soft proofing will really show you what the print is going to be like over guessing ;)

of course test prints and compare etc..

hit the color management menu check out the soft proofing articles :)
    http://www.gamutprints.com/color-management/

7. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    just remember if you have a cheap monitor or one that is known to not be as color accurate a profile won't make it color accurate :) it will just make it as good as can be

as I say like tuning a car will not change what it is or make it better than it can be but often some will find it good enough :)

8. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Yes, I calibrate my monitor every four weeks. I use a Colormunki for Photographers in order to accomplish this. I set my brightness to 120 cd/m2 and I use printer profiles from Epson for my Epson 2400 and 2880 printers for my Epson paper. I also use the profiles supplied by each company that I purchase paper from. It is very easy to go on line to download those profiles. I also My prints comes out great every time, I also clean the heads on my printer prior to each printing session. I try and wait till I have a few images to print prior to doing any printing.

9. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Could you share which software you use to calibrate with your devices?

10. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    basICColor is awesome software

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I am still using an i1 puck. I use the X-Rite software, but have never had any luck with the quick/automatic setting - but going through and doing it step by step does usually make a significant difference. If you and I are speaking of the same software, you might try that?

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use a ColorMunki Photo to calibrate my monitors as well as printer. Works very well.

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    How often should be LCD monitors re-calibrated?
    It was a case with CRT's because of their technology, but I thought LCD's are much more stable over time.

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The instruction recommend something like every month, but I leave it much longer than that (maybe every six months+), as LCD monitors are more stable and unless you're into critical colour management, it shouldn't really matter.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yeah. Since I stopped using CRTs (quite a while back), I find that a couple of times a year is fine, unless there's some change in the system software or components.

16. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I uninstalled i1Profiler and ran ArgylCMS and DispCalGUI instead.

Got these results.

Attached Files:

17. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I did another calibration after having the monitor warmed up for a little over an hour. I also set the target at 6500k/daylight. Attached are snapshots of the measurements report. Perhaps it might interest someone. Everything seem to look pretty decent to me.

Attached Files:

18. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
  19. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks for the input Bif.

Now that I've calibrated the monitor and created a profile for Windows 7 to use in Color Management.

How do I make sure that LR5 is also using this ICC profile I've created. Does LR5 picks up the ICC profile automatically, or do I need to make some settings changes in LR5?

Thanks,

20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Calibration of monitor and printer is needed if you want to print.

I use Spyder Studio.