Monitor Calibration BenQ 2700Pt (using Linux)

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
I chose this monitor to connect to my laptop for the best possible accuracy, but I run Linux as my OS (Gnome 3 based on Ubuntu at the moment). I'd like to know if there are any other Linux nerds (uh users) in the Forum, and their experience in setting up their monitor for color accuracy. And yes this laptop has the guts for photo and video processing.
Four Questions:
1) I have a SpyderXPro that will work with Linux. I could use that for the BenQ2700, but I would rather use their proprietary software to calibrate the monitor hardware (as they advertise). The SpyderX would calibrate the vid card in the laptop (as I understand it, may be wrong about that)
2) What about calibrating the laptop monitor? Worth the effort?
3) As for the BenQ Pallet Master, it is Windows based. Anybody tried running it in WINE (in Linux)?
4) What do you do to calibrate your system for accuracy?
I'm not a professional by any means, but I do want the best I can get. Will be using DarkTable, RawTherapee as my primary PP applications if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
My pro photographer mate recommends the SpiderX with the latest software. Recalibrates a couple of times a month. Very pushy about me getting one.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm a bit of a Linux nerd, but after dabbling with colorimetry some years ago, I realised that over 90% of my "serious" photography was in b&w anyway, so why bother ? I'm sorry I won't be able to help here... I suppose you already gave DisplayCal a try ? https://displaycal.net/
This said I never found ubuntu nor gnome very comfortable to use and maintain ; I highly recommend KDE - Manjaro instead for ease of use and long term stability. But maybe that's just me.

Cheers,
M.

SVENS1

Mu-43 Regular
I have the same BenQ monitor. Color is fine, right out of the box either on Windows or Linux Mint. I have dual boot. I only had to adjust brightness down a bit.

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
My pro photographer mate recommends the SpiderX with the latest software. Recalibrates a couple of times a month. Very pushy about me getting one.
I'm a bit of a Linux nerd, but after dabbling with colorimetry some years ago, I realised that over 90% of my "serious" photography was in b&w anyway, so why bother ? I'm sorry I won't be able to help here... I suppose you already gave DisplayCal a try ? https://displaycal.net/
This said I never found ubuntu nor gnome very comfortable to use and maintain ; I highly recommend KDE - Manjaro instead for ease of use and long term stability. But maybe that's just me.

Cheers,
M.
Thanks for that - I used Mint almost exclusively for about 10 years. New laptop is System76 with their PoP OS. I can install Cinnamon desktop if I want or just install Mint, but I'm kinda liking the Keyboard-centric Gnome desktop for the moment. -
thanks for the link to DisplahCal I'll send them a note,
The fact that the BenQ monitor is fine right out of the box helps a lot.

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
I have the same BenQ monitor. Color is fine, right out of the box either on Windows or Linux Mint. I have dual boot. I only had to adjust brightness down a bit.
Thanks for the reply. that is what I was hoping.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
I know it's not on Linux but hope the information is of some use.

I have a SW27000PT with AdobeRGB color gamut mode enabled and I use an older Spyder4 to calibrate it. It's not a great difference but it matches up my two displays for sR pretty well. The other being an older sRGB HP ZR2440w. I tried messing around with BenQ's customized calibration software early on and found it difficult to use. On Windows the biggest issue is applications not respecting the color profiles and so on the BenQ they display as AdobeRGB and the requisite strong greens and reds display causing an obvious mismatch. Adobe Lightroom does respect it the the photos viewed from there while editing match between the displays. I just have to make sure that my exported jpeg file is viewed on the HP display.

Over 1 hour later - Well, I went down the rabbit hole and decided to try out DispCAL for windows with my Spyder 4 calibration device. Not very intuitive setup. The needs access to the dll's for the Spyder software to pull the calibrator's base data (because it's not licensed as separate software). After it did that I had a run a separate 'oeminst' cli tool to get it to detect and recognize the device. I started the calibration process on the SW2700pt after I deleted all of my other Spyder tool created color profiles and disabled their calibration loading utility. I either missed an 'easy mode' of some kind because it has been over 1 hour running color patch tests. The firsts stage took 56 minutes and and the 'characterization' phase of 175 color patches looks to be adding at least another 20m. Then it starts compiling a profile from the measurement data. The screenshot of the final calibration numbers are below. I'll have to learn what the difference is between 'Gamut coverage' and 'Volume' are. It's actually quite yellow then I found a support blurb from X-rite that suggests calibrating to D65 for the display and explains why. https://www.xrite.com/service-support/why_calibrate_monitor_to_d65_when_light_booth_is_d50
Going in without a full understanding can certainly be challenging - Live and learn!

1599525590559.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
I doing more research I found a post in DPreview which lead me to some search terms to find a display measurement profile on the DispCal forum https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/benq-sw2700pt-2/

Downloading the file requires logging into the forum which I did with a google ID. Then I dropped it into the ArgyllCMS folder with the other '.ccss files then I could load it from inside the calibration config screen.

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
I know it's not on Linux but hope the information is of some use.

I have a SW27000PT with AdobeRGB color gamut mode enabled and I use an older Spyder4 to calibrate it. It's not a great difference but it matches up my two displays for sR pretty well. The other being an older sRGB HP ZR2440w. I tried messing around with BenQ's customized calibration software early on and found it difficult to use. On Windows the biggest issue is applications not respecting the color profiles and so on the BenQ they display as AdobeRGB and the requisite strong greens and reds display causing an obvious mismatch. Adobe Lightroom does respect it the the photos viewed from there while editing match between the displays. I just have to make sure that my exported jpeg file is viewed on the HP display.

Over 1 hour later - Well, I went down the rabbit hole and decided to try out DispCAL for windows with my Spyder 4 calibration device. Not very intuitive setup. The needs access to the dll's for the Spyder software to pull the calibrator's base data (because it's not licensed as separate software). After it did that I had a run a separate 'oeminst' cli tool to get it to detect and recognize the device. I started the calibration process on the SW2700pt after I deleted all of my other Spyder tool created color profiles and disabled their calibration loading utility. I either missed an 'easy mode' of some kind because it has been over 1 hour running color patch tests. The firsts stage took 56 minutes and and the 'characterization' phase of 175 color patches looks to be adding at least another 20m. Then it starts compiling a profile from the measurement data. The screenshot of the final calibration numbers are below. I'll have to learn what the difference is between 'Gamut coverage' and 'Volume' are. It's actually quite yellow then I found a support blurb from X-rite that suggests calibrating to D65 for the display and explains why. https://www.xrite.com/service-support/why_calibrate_monitor_to_d65_when_light_booth_is_d50
Going in without a full understanding can certainly be challenging - Live and learn!

View attachment 845603
Man do I ever owe YOU a beer (or three or four) after doing this!!
Thanks it will give me some insight if I choose to try and calibrate with the Spyder. If this is close out of the box like some have said, I'll probably just give it a shot. I can always redo my PP work later if the colors are off.
If you are still having troubles, Send me your address. I have an extra 22oz. Framing Hammer you can borrow. I've fixed a lot of stuff with that thing................

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
@va3pinner I'm glad to have provided some useful information. I've been hacking on PCs since the late 80s. I just have a tendency to beat on stuff till it works or I get too frustrated and find an alternative. My hammer is the delete function. The framing hammer would leave me with unrecoverable regret later.

I should have screenshot the process for reference but had to walk away while it was taking the next hour to calibrate at D65. I think I'm set too bright for night time viewing even with the room lights on but I'm going to ride with it and see how it goes. Next is doing the HP R440w which being SRGB with a CCFL White LED backlighting should not be particularly tricky.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom