Monitor advice, please

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Since I got very good help with the laptop upgrade, I dare to ask another hardware question.

I have been pondering the economical side of monitors, from what I find the bargain basement options, the Benq PD2700Q 27" IPS/Asus ProArt PA278QV to the BenQ SW270C 27"/ SW2700PT, Asus ProArt PA27AC, so the high end is very much a no-go zone. If I go for the less expensive option, I can also add both a calibrator and a Canon Pixma Pro-200 to the picture infrastructure plus a mouse and keyboard, without stretching the budget extensively.

I do have a somewhat academic understanding of the colour spaces and such, and shoots in S-rgb. I haven't worked on an external monitor since 2009/10 and never with a colour calibrated one, so am not to sure about what I actually need as such. My post work now is on the laptop screen, FHD, IPS panel, NVDIA graphics card, and I cant fault that as such, I just "need" more, but uncertain of how much more I need. I think getting on a full size screen QHD screen will be a major upgrade however I turn it, and the Pro-200 is probably somewhat around where I would draw the line in a cost/benefit perspective on the printer. I plan to do a bit of printing to learn the process and to produce tangible and somewhat sizable results for myself, but I also plan to take some stuff outside. The printing bit is for instant and "easy" gratifiacation on a dark winter night.

Your insights/thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Yeah, the Eizos are probably the bees knees, but out of reach, and I really cant say I see the need for it for my dabblings. Havent actually looked at anything smaller than the 27", as it seems to be the standard fare, but I will take that into consideration. I think the oldest son has a couple of 24" and a 27" for his gaming stuff, so could probably knab them for a quick trial set-up. :thumbsup: Good one, that!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I use a ASUS Pro Art PA23 something for my editing.
I calibrate all screens with the Datacolour Spyder 5, even the laptop screen so the pictures look the same on all my screens.

I would definetely recommend getting a calibrator what ever monitor you get.
Hopefully other people with calibrated screens see the same as I do when I put my pictures up here.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
I have been pondering the economical side of monitors, from what I find the bargain basement options, the Benq PD2700Q 27" IPS/Asus ProArt PA278QV to the BenQ SW270C 27"/ SW2700PT, Asus ProArt PA27AC, so the high end is very much a no-go zone. If I go for the less expensive option, I can also add both a calibrator and a Canon Pixma Pro-200 to the picture infrastructure plus a mouse and keyboard, without stretching the budget extensively.

Take a look at this ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD. For $300-$350 it is quite good but:
- callibration might be needed (especially for demanding m4/3 shooter, right?)
- limited ergonomics (no pivot, no swivel, a fixed stand, no heght adjustment)
-/+ on the other hand if the monitor stays on the same place in a fixed possition you can always put it on something: a few old books, 2-3 packs of office papers you can buy everywhere.
Remark: I do not own the monitor but it would be a good buy I guess.

Review of the ViewSonic panel on RTINGS.com.

Last edited:
A few months ago I went to a desk top with the mac mini and bought the BenQ SW2700-PT I think it was around 5 or 6 hundred after years on a laptop I was really awed by having a large monitor again quite a treat. One of the things that is also appealing about the 27 is it has two usb ports and a SD port which really comes in handy since I am not as hip as apple thinks I need to be. I am experiencing a small row maybe 2x4 pixels each of off color pixels upon starting up but they disappear as soon as I open anything.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Jens, I would buy the Epson XP-970 rather than the Canon printer.

After many years of using Canon as general purpose network inkjets, their inks are nothing like colour fast nowadays (they used to be).

When our latest Canon died, I bought an XP-970. It is maximum A3. I have now had bare prints exposed to full daylight for over 6 months, and not the slightest sign of colour shift or bleeding.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Have a look at the Dell UltraSharp range, they are affordable and very good.
Last monitor I bought was a Dell UP2516D. 100% aRGB (which I use), 14 bit colour lookup table, 12 bit panel, 2560x1440, 25 inch.

Excellent monitor with USB3 ports. Very nice stand. Superb colour. Not cheap, but affordable.
I was also going to say Dell. I have the Dell U2515H and am pretty happy with the thin bezel design. It's really about the same size as the 24" it replaced. The current version seems to be the U2520D, note they change the 2nd 2 digits for the year.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Jens, I would buy the Epson XP-970 rather than the Canon printer.

Noted. I have had a quick browse on that one a bit earlier in the process, but the Pro-200 came up and I like the idea of that with its A3+, capability to run rather hefty papers and possibility to print panoramas as long as a meter (or 990 mm to be exact), thats about a tad under 1 yard and 4 inches, if my imperial conversion is on par. 😀

Will look into the ink situation, though. Good point, that.

I do have a all-in-one office printer/scanner/copier to do the regular tasks.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I've used Dell 2209WZ for over a decade now, it still works great. Back then, it was still mostly TN panels, which can only display like 1.6% of the colours that of a CRT monitor, which I thought was just ridiculous and unacceptable, for photo editing, for gaming, for anything, so I knew IPS was a must and 2209WZ (eIPS) was the only affordable option at that time. So I can second the recommendation for Dell Ultrasharp, and I might get another one for myself when 2209WZ dies.

BTW, on the subject of printing, I've always wanted to get something like Epson 3880 to print my own photos at home, but I know it is something that has to be used continuously and frequently. Maybe a printer would help me grow as a photographer more than any new camera body or lens, but I will probably have to rely on labs.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I've used Dell 2209WZ for over a decade now, it still works great. Back then, it was still mostly TN panels, which can only display like 1.6% of the colours that of a CRT monitor, which I thought was just ridiculous and unacceptable, for photo editing, for gaming, for anything, so I knew IPS was a must and 2209WZ (eIPS) was the only affordable option at that time. So I can second the recommendation for Dell Ultrasharp, and I might get another one for myself when 2209WZ dies.
Similar long term experiences here.

The better Dell and aRGB Asus monitors take some beating. Eizo monitors might be the ant's pants, but when I bought my Asus PA246Q monitors, they had the same panel as the equivalent Eizo at one quarter of the price. I still use both of my PA246Q monitors.
BTW, on the subject of printing, I've always wanted to get something like Epson 3880 to print my own photos at home, but I know it is something that has to be used continuously and frequently. Maybe a printer would help me grow as a photographer more than any new camera body or lens, but I will probably have to rely on labs.
@doady , due to ill health and other matters, I left my R3880 for over a year without printing anything with it. It fired up perfectly, with zero nozzle blockage.

The previous Rxx00 pigment ink printers did have problems with nozzle blockages, but they haven't been made for ten years or more.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename

I have pondered the A2 printers, but I cant really see that happening.

It could be an option somewhere down the line, after getting the skills, but I do think the A3+ is more than sufficient for a "start-up". I even have some thoughts about maintenance printing 6X4s weekly, just to keep the lines up an running. I do like the idea of producing something tangible in-house, so to speak and share the growth notion. I could probably still find my way around a darkroom, but not so much when it comes to handling printing or colour. :)

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I'm happy with my Dell monitors too. One piece of advice, I went from a 22" 1080P display to a 27" 1440P display and my eye strain went down considerably.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I have pondered the A2 printers, but I cant really see that happening.

It could be an option somewhere down the line, after getting the skills, but I do think the A3+ is more than sufficient for a "start-up". I even have some thoughts about maintenance printing 6X4s weekly, just to keep the lines up an running. I do like the idea of producing something tangible in-house, so to speak and share the growth notion. I could probably still find my way around a darkroom, but not so much when it comes to handling printing or colour. :)

I've never shot film before, so I don't even have darkroom experience. I love photobooks so printing seems like the next step. Something tangible is important.

I think main advantage of printing at home would be having a wider choice of papers. Even in a big city, the non-OBA papers the labs here offer are Epson Coldpress/Hotpress Natural and Hahnemuehle Museum Etching. One lab used to offer Hahnemuehle William Turner and Bamboo but not anymore.

A3 or 13-inch printer would probably be more realistic to start with, and I probably would print 12x16 inches mostly anyways (to maintain 4:3 aspect ratio, and 16x20 inches is a standard frame size in Canada). Smaller printer might also not need to be used as often as larger printers, and John's post about 3880 is also reassuring. Maybe one day I should get Epson P700. And yeah I've been watching Keith Cooper's videos as well.

BTW, the monitor I was speaking of is actually 2209WA, not 2209WZ. I'm not sure what its successor today is but it would probably be my first choice.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
@doady, The R3880 is very small when folded up. Weighs a lot, and takes up a lot of room when both feed and output trays are fully extended.

I have mine on a table with wheels.

E-30_JAK_2011-P3164426_Ew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The back folds down flat and the front extends about 24 inches when feeding aluminium sheets and the like.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom