1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Monarchs Feeding

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Jman, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Some shots from today. Monarchs galore! GH2/45 Macro

monarch1.

monarch2.

monarch3.

monarch4.

• Like Like x 3
  2. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Are these the results of the lens or are they an over saturation from post processing? Your blacks are much too black, in that there is no detail. Particularly noticeable is the excessive CA (if you had numbered them ) on #3. I had been inquisitive of this lens versus the new f/1.8 with a macro converter lens. It now makes me pause.

What I find in the beauty of a butterfly is the wings. Granted, head shots are interesting, but to me the wonder is in the whole.

Thanks for sharing.

3. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Awesome shots! How did you get so close with that 45mm? Did you do much cropping, or maybe a diopter?

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Lovely shots. I see lots of detail in the blacks...not sure why Kundalini is not. The dynamic range of shots is quite remarkable, as I see it.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I don't see any CA either — just colorful reflections.

6. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    It must be me then. Apologies for an irrelevant post on my part.

7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    No problem...

There is definitely no CA in these. The blacks are dark, but on a calibrated monitor, you can see detail. These monarchs just suck light, though...the blacks are just true, pure, non reflective black.

I'd have loved to have taken some more full wing shots, but these monarchs had been tagged, and so the wing underside wasn't really worthy if shooting, and I've never liked the top down angle on butterflies.