1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moire in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dhazeghi, Apr 15, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm increasingly seeing moire and other interference patterns using my E-PM1. I haven't found any tool in ACR 6 or LR 4.x to deal with this. Given the size of the images, it's not usually a big deal, but still, it would be nice if there was a way to fix this. Olympus seems to do something in their JPEGs which helps, but there are other downsides to using JPEGs!

Example crop (E-PM1, 12-60):
    i-pZdDxD4-L.

Original:
    i-j7r98wN-L.

Cheers,

DH

2. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
  3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The ugly downside to a weaker AA filter :( If you have ACR6, I'd click through that Lightroom link to see how Mansurov's recommends removing it in Photoshop, as it's much more effective. When it comes to local adjustments, there's no comparison. Other than that, I'd just be able to point you towards some links I found, such as this one, but I'd bet that you could search as well as I:
    Removing Moire Effectively

All of the solutions involve making a selection, probably making a new layer from the selection, playing with the opacity, and applying one of the various filters. Since in your case the moire is a cable, I'd say that selective color would be your best bet. Use the magic wand to select each white part of the cable, and turn it back the color of the others. Or, use cloning.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    LR4 has a Moire brush. Have a look in the selective adjustments section. It only works with the 2012 process engine.

Gordon

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What do you know! Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. I hadn't tried selective adjustments since LR 3.0. Guess they finally are good for something.

Okay, that looks helpful too. I think I'll try and avoid Photoshop for now though as it makes the workflow process a lot less smooth.

Thanks,

DH