modoc, il c/c appreciated

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by caimi, May 15, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
  2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Gorgeous image Caimi. Beautiful tones & texture (late afternoon or early morning specular-directional light is my guess), great composition and amazing sharpness from the foreground to background. Also love the straight "lines" (both parallel and vertical) of the architectural elements in the scene.

My only "criticism" is that although i LOVE the leading lines of the road (and of course the incredible depth and texture therein), I find that it draws my eye from what I am assuming is the subject of the composition -- the food store to the right of the frame... Two very strong elements that fight for the viewers attention in my opinion. That said, the road sign at the end of the road does a nice job of bringing the viewer back around full circle...

Some additional information about the photograph would be greatly appreciated! (camera, lens, post processing workflow, etc).

Thanks for sharing. Very nice. :drinks:

3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Early morning. Olympus OMD Pan 20mm. Processed in LR, then SilverEfx, then LR some more.

I prowl around the bluff road in Southern Illinois between Columbia and Ellis Grove on a regular basis. I am rewarded by these scenes of towns long forgotten by all but their few remaining residents. I was even approached once by the woman who owns the long shuttered Red & White Food Store about whether I was interested in purchasing it and, you know, if I was a little more romantic I probably would have. I do love southern Illinois.

I had to drag the road sign at the end out of the shadows because it does two things: Two dimensionally it points you back into the picture. Intellectually it tells you, "that's all there is" and directs you out of town.
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I really, really like this one. I'm actually struggling to see if there's anything I'd change about it :smile:

Personally I really like the tones, texture, and the composition; the road just adds to the feeling of and old and shuttered business on an empty thoroughfare. The diagonal of the road and building's corner being clipped is visually interesting also. I do agree with Wes there are multiple strong elements sort of battling for attention. However for me the road drew my eye along the left side of the frame then across to the two buildings, so that wasn't a big issue. And since to me personally I saw it as a whole picture of an abandoned business that lost its market, the two elements work together.

I'd be curious to see what the larger frame looks like - it's possible I'd prefer a wider shot of this same scene, but it's impossible to tell without knowing the place.
  5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I don't have the prowess to do this on here but, what if you cropped out the side of the red and white store and the road in the foreground accordingly. Then the arrow sign becomes more prominent in the photo. Can someone do that just to see. Cool photo, though. There are all kinds of towns like this here in my part of Colorado. I need to hit the road.
  6. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Very Walker Evans, I like it!
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Very intriguing shot. I'm not sure that I would call it a beautiful shot, like one that you would print out big for a hotel lobby or something-- but it's visually interesting for me, with lots of details around the image to examine with subsequent viewings. Right on the edge of a very still or dead shot, but not quite getting into the old, dilapidated ghost townshot either; i like that ambiguity.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  8. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece