1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Modifying a lens hood for the 14-42mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Monza76, May 30, 2012.

1. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I recently purchased lens hoods from Fotodiox for my two lenses, the cheap "L" kit lens which came with the E-PL1 and the 17mm. The problem was that the hoods were fine down to 17mm, so the prime had a hood but the zoom was only usable down to about 16mm after which it vignetted very badly.

Yesterday I put the hood on a stationary belt sander and began. After a few attempts I finally got it down to the point where it did not vignette so now I have a "custom" lens hood for my 14-42mm. Below are pictures showing the two hoods so that you can see how much has been shaved from the hood to work on the zoom. There is still some mild vignetting but only at extremely close focus, so moving back and zooming slightly fixes it.

Hope this is of some use.

BTW that is the full sized hood on the E-PL1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Was this a metal or a plastic hood? Looks like a nice solution to the problem! :thumbup:

3. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    The hood is metal, I don't think plastic would survive the sander, it would just melt.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    True. I didn't see any shiny edges - did you paint it after you sanded it?

5. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Just used a black permanent marker for now, I will paint it later.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Ahh, that explains it. Great idea, thanks!

7. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    thats alot of sandin.... good job!

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black is a gunsmithing chemical that blackens aluminum. Birchwood Casey: Finishing Details

I have a Nikon hood that I cut down on my lathe for my 14-42 and the B-C product worked well on it. You can probably find it at large sporting goods/gun stores or you can get it at Brownell's. ALUMINUM BLACK - Brownells Brownell's small packing shipping charges are very reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks, I will check that out.

It was a lot of sanding but worth it.

10. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Eh?

Nice hack job dude, I have a similar problem with my 30mm WA lens, I might try your solution out!

p.s. To the guys that use the ami spelling; it has been 'aluminium' since it was discovered and named thus!

:rofl:

:rolleyes:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is an ami saying, so why did you all change so many spellings and still claim to speak english?

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think we began taking over responsibility for the language as the Empire crumbled. With our invention of the internet and its proliferation, I think the transition is now complete. We've kept the traditional name of the language, though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    what is the thread size?

cos it cost like SGD$4 for 40.5mm vented hood.

13. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Thread size 40.5mm, and before I modified it it had a 52mm thread on the end so lens caps and filters of that size would fit.

14. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    Just read this thread .... the bit about the ali made me laugh, a lot !!!

15. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
  16. spystyle

spystyle New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2012
    Maine, USA
    Craig Conway
    I found this thread via Google.

I had also modified a hood for my 14-42mm lens. I had a rubber hood in 40.5mm and used scissors to trim it.

But I too noticed vignetting at close distance, also the E-PL1's on-camera flash made a shadow,

I now see that you can get a flower petal type hood specifically for this lens from eBay. Just search for "E-PL1 hood" (without quotes)

I ordered one and expect it from China to Maine USA in about a month :)

I'll tell ya how it works :)

Cheers,
    Craig