1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Modify EXIF data for adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by acnomad, Jan 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    Reviving an old topic to see if anyone has a new solution. In my short time working in the Micro 4/3 format, I've really enjoyed shooting with several legacy Nikkors and a nice Leica Summicron-C. Unfortunately, adapted lenses do not push any focal length or aperture setting info to the camera bodies and therefore, the resultant files are saved without EXIF data for these fields. I have succeeded in modifying the EXIF data file-by-file, tedious as it is, by using freeware such as Exif Pilot, which uses the open source software Exif Tool. Other no-cost solutions are available as well, some better than others. The trouble is that a trigger happy tog like myself can rack up many frames in even a short outing, which leads to hours of tedious modification of the EXIF data when forced to do them one at a time. I know there are solutions for batch-editing filenames to match timestamps as well as imposing GPS coordinates to a batch of files all at once. There are also ways to impose the entire set of EXIF data from one file to a batch of others. Both of these are a step in the right direction, but not exactly what I am looking for. It would be nice to modify just the focal length and max aperture of a batch of files without changing the other data, then come back through one-by-one to modify the actual f-stop file-by-file if desired. Any ideas?

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Focal length and max aperture only? You can do that with the lens tagger plug-in inside Lightroom. If you have the aperture, that can be added too, as well as the lens make. It's limited to lens name, focal length, and aperture. If you leave a field blank, it's left unchanged. It can do one or many files.

Exiftool GUI is stand-alone. You can select a group of files and change fields in batch mode. It will make a new JPG with the same file name and save the originals as backups.

I use Lightroom for this, but used to employ the stand-alone Exif Tool GUI. I recall it installed fairly easily.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    • Like Like x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 2
  5. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    Thanks for this tip. I see that Lightroom places the new EXIF data in a sidecar XMP file, which is then combined only when exporting. Is that your experience also, or is there a way to overwrite the EXIF data of the original file?

Additionally, I notice that the lens name is visible in LR but not exporting. Any tips on causing that data to export?

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    You can write directly to the file or to an XMP. There's a checkbox for that.

As for the lens name, it's gotta be in there somewhere, since it appears in the EXIF data when I upload to flickr--you can see it if you click through to flick from this image, for example:
    15245666208_5bee3c4080_b.
    He's from Langley.
    by Mike Aubrey, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This was one cool new feature on the Pen F and might be worth it if you are a manual lens enthusiast:

"The PEN-F offers additional compatibility with users’ legacy lenses by enabling them to register the information of lenses without electronic contacts for inclusion in images’ EXIF data. The lens information may be recalled with the press of a button. Up to 10 lenses can be registered, including the lens name, focal length and aperture value."

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Awesome!

I had not hear that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Where did you see this? I can't find it in the Pen F manual pdf.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
  11. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    Thanks, Mike. Found the checkbox.
    --Andy