Modified firmware, looking for users

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well the one I mentioned I have been using for about 7 years I also bought refurbished from Olympus. If this was a common issue with firmware then I would expect all bodies to experience this. Since I have only heard of these issue right now from you, logic would indicate it is with your specific copy and therefore likely hardware related.
It could be hardware (shutter?) according to this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55878124

It's worse when I do any sort of bracketing where the final shot may lock it up. Single shot isn't a problem, but sometimes a sequence burst will jam it requiring me to remove and reinsert the battery. Think I'll live with it as this one looks really clean overall compared to other used ones I've gotten. Don't know if Olympus Service will fix it due to it being a converted IR camera by someone else. Probably claim it needs a new sensor as well as shutter - if that's the lock-up issue.

Fwiw, this third E-M1.1 was a used one from Lifepixel who gets them from maybe KEH or MEH to convert them to IR for sale on their website. Their used conversion sale took about a month so I'm guessing they buy a used one elsewhere and then convert it. Unfortunately, the first two from them suffered the bad E-M1.1 shutter dial issue and went back the same day I got them. They were puzzled as they say they check them prior to shipping, but dpreview is full of the E-M1 rear dial issues. Learning experience for them and me.

sunnyasia

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Rob
I have PEN-F with official fw 3.1, I'm trying to install hacked version but PowerOn+OK doesn't work at all. The camera is switching on as usual. Is there any lock in the newest firmware?

dbateman

Mu-43 Regular
It could be hardware (shutter?) according to this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55878124

It's worse when I do any sort of bracketing where the final shot may lock it up. Single shot isn't a problem, but sometimes a sequence burst will jam it requiring me to remove and reinsert the battery. Think I'll live with it as this one looks really clean overall compared to other used ones I've gotten. Don't know if Olympus Service will fix it due to it being a converted IR camera by someone else. Probably claim it needs a new sensor as well as shutter - if that's the lock-up issue.

Fwiw, this third E-M1.1 was a used one from Lifepixel who gets them from maybe KEH or MEH to convert them to IR for sale on their website. Their used conversion sale took about a month so I'm guessing they buy a used one elsewhere and then convert it. Unfortunately, the first two from them suffered the bad E-M1.1 shutter dial issue and went back the same day I got them. They were puzzled as they say they check them prior to shipping, but dpreview is full of the E-M1 rear dial issues. Learning experience for them and me.
I am lucky to not have experienced this. But I use Samsung or Sandisk 256 Gb micro SD cards in adapters for my cameras. I would guess it to be your memory card as you are having the same problem in many cameras.

The rear dial issue isn't actually hardware problem. Its dust that gets stuck between the dial optical sensor. When mine acts up I spray the dial while rotating it with a high pressure air can. That solves it for a couple of months.
Dust shouldn't get trapped so easily, but it does.

martinkuipers

Mu-43 Regular
I will test the firmware on my e-m10 iii tonight! If you have more experimental versions, like flat profile or other bitrates (one can hope ;)), I am willing to test this

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
FWIW, it looks like toshische has not posted since March of 2021. I was trying to download the 'official' E-m5 mark III rar file, and the domain that he/she/they used no longer resolves via a host lookup. Hopefully people have saved these files (I have my own stash, but I wanted to make sure I had the right files).

Abel (who started this thread) stopped posting in 2019, but at least the rar/zip files posted are still available.

r8n

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks @ABel and others, I now have the ability to focus stack with more lenses.
Just curious is this symbol that pops up for a fraction of a second during startup an indication that the hack is active?
Never noticed it before.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2021-08-29 18-38-53.png
    Screenshot at 2021-08-29 18-38-53.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 170

Monstrousfizzypencils

New to Mu-43
The original hacker, Abel, stated that it was available for any arbitrary lens so does this include ZD lenses used with adapter?

Thank you for your reply in advance

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
The original hacker, Abel, stated that it was available for any arbitrary lens so does this include ZD lenses used with adapter?
While I haven't tried the firmware myself, but your question raises two issues. First it needs to be an AF lens so yes the ZD lenses would fall under that category, but do they have to be CDAF compatible lenses rather than PDAF in order to do the micro AF adjustments for each shot? That could be were there might be a stumbling block and may limit you to CDAF capable ZD lenses such as the 14-54 Mk2 and the 70-300 and maybe one or two others which I think were all kit lenses mostly at the time before they moved on to m43.

barry

Super Moderator
The CDAF in the 70-300 was added as a firmware update and has a poor reputation for CDAF performance.
But I agree about the macro capability; got a great shot of a monarch butterfly with it.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One thing I noticed on my E-m1 mark II (and I assume E-m1 mark III and E-m1x) is that the camera will only read firmware from the card in the first slot (the UHS-II compatible slot). Since I have two 128GB cards in the camera, I decided to keep a DCOLYMP directory in each card. The UHS-II card that I own has the modified v1.4 firmware and the UHS-I card has the Olympus v1.5 firmware.

CameraObscura

New to Mu-43
Not sure this is the right place to post, on a side note does anyone have a copy or link to the 1.1 or orignal firmware for OM D E M5 mark i, The Lightsnowdev site seems to be out of action at the moment. I would like to rollback the firmware as a test. I know there are many updates and fixes in the latest firmware and the camera is a lot quieter (it had the 1.1 firmware when i first got it) but i have a feeling the IS stabilisation isn't working as well as it was originally with the extra noise the body would make and would like to test. Im sure other people would have noticed this if this was the case as it was quite an early update (2013?) Anyone with an EM5 mark 1 have any thoughts on this? It may be my imagination or it could be lens firmware acting different.
thanks

barry

Super Moderator
Not sure this is the right place to post, on a side note does anyone have a copy or link to the 1.1 or orignal firmware for OM D E M5 mark i, The Lightsnowdev site seems to be out of action at the moment.
Hi, there is an Olympus JP site with all the current firmware details
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Iirc, the light snow site linked to the downloads within that site.

It's likely the older files are there too, try poking around with the directory structure.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have an em5 iii. Do you have a fix for focus stacking with any lens for that Olympus model?
If you go back to page 16 of this thread, you will see Post #304 by Toshische, E-m5 mark III v1.4 that has a link for the E-m5 mark III at version 1.4 of the firmware.

Note, that ABel has not posted on this forum since 2019, and Toshische (who provided later patches) has not posted since April 2021. The last modified firmware for the E-m5 mark III is 1.4. Olympus released version 1.5 of the firmware in June, but the only change listed was adding the Olympus 8-25mm f/4 lens to the list of lenses doing focus stacking.

RSmith

New to Mu-43
If you go back to page 16 of this thread, you will see Post #304 by Toshische, E-m5 mark III v1.4 that has a link for the E-m5 mark III at version 1.4 of the firmware.

Note, that ABel has not posted on this forum since 2019, and Toshische (who provided later patches) has not posted since April 2021. The last modified firmware for the E-m5 mark III is 1.4. Olympus released version 1.5 of the firmware in June, but the only change listed was adding the Olympus 8-25mm f/4 lens to the list of lenses doing focus stacking.
Ok thanks. I forgot how to install the patch. Do copy it to an SD card? How to initiate? I also do not know the "model #" of the EM5iii or how to find it. Post list the EM5ii as 137.
Thank you for any help.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ok thanks. I forgot how to install the patch. Do copy it to an SD card? How to initiate? I also do not know the "model #" of the EM5iii or how to find it. Post list the EM5ii as 137.
Thank you for any help.
From the directions on the lightsnowdev site for installing the standard software:

Create a folder called "DCOLYMP" on your SD card.
Rename the downloaded file to E1379999.BIN and put it inside this folder.
The whole process will take a about 1-2 minutes.
Make sure your camera is turned off. Now insert the SD Card with the firmware file.
Start the camera while pushing the "OK" button.
The screen will be black and the orange front LED will turn on.
DO NOT TURN THE CAMERA OFF WHILE THE LED IS ON.
Wait until it blinks rapidly.
This means the process is finished. You can now restart the camera like you would do normally.
Attention:
You may want to remove the "DCOLYMP" folder from your SD card, so you don't flash a new firmware by accident.

You can get the original firmware from:

Latest threads

Top Bottom