Modified firmware, looking for users

willeya

New to Mu-43
Hi, and thank you for your awesome work here.
I was wondering if there's any chance you could also do the firmware for the original E-M5? I've got one, and the latest firmware is from 2018 dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/0970/index23a.html I'm happy to provide whatever on-device testing you might need.

PhotoDmiK

Mu-43 Regular
No idea what you may want from older bodies like e-m5 or e-pl8. There was no focus bracketing at all. As for video limit - only possible to remove time limit, and we can not remove file size limit yet. So your videos on old bodies will be limited to about 40 minutes, not a big deal :crying:

willeya

New to Mu-43
No idea what you may want from older bodies like e-m5 or e-pl8. There was no focus bracketing at all. As for video limit - only possible to remove time limit, and we can not remove file size limit yet. So your videos on old bodies will be limited to about 40 minutes, not a big deal :crying:
Ah, I see. It was the time limit I had in mind. I didn't realize the file size limit was an issue. I guess that makes removing the time limit less useful, but 40 minutes is still better than 30 I suppose. If it's not too much trouble I'd still appreciate it. If you don't think it's worth it I understand.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
Stupid question perhaps - but does installing this firmware remove the user settings/preferences?

(And I should know this - but can't remember, is there a way to save all settings eg to a flash drive and then reinstall after the firmware install?)

[edit] - never mind, upgrade went well, don't see that I've lost any settings. And now I have focus bracketing. This is fabulous.

Last edited:

raichea

New to Mu-43
v3.5 for the em-1.2 and v1.5 for em-5.3 have just been released. Any chance of an update for these versions? Olympus say they've just added focus stacking photography for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8-25mm F4.0 PRO. But who knows if they've fixed any other bugs - it would be good to be able to update to the most recent firmware.

Sljaka

New to Mu-43
Hi there,

I've made two small hacks in E-M5ii firmware v.4.0.
1. An arbitrary autofocus lens can be used for the in-camera focus stacking.
2. The video recording time limitations increased from 29 minutes. Now the recording is limited by 5 MOV files the video can be split into (the detailed description is in the bottom of this message).

A couple of proof pics for the first hack:
The stacking was already tested with Oly 45/1.8, Leica 15/1.7 and Oly MZ 9-18.

The same modifications are available for other cameras (the focus stacking will only work in E-M1, E-M1ii and E-M5ii, of course). Here are the links to the firmwares:
To install the firmware, you'll need to:
* Make sure the battery is fully charged.
* Extract the firmware file from archive into a folder called "DCOLYMP" on your SD-Card.
* Put the SD-Card into your camera. Start the camera while holding the OK button pressed. The focus assist LED should turn on - this means the firmware is installing, and you can release the OK button.
* When the installation ends, the focus assist LED will start to blink. Now you can switch the camera off, and then on again. That's all.

It's also possible to revert to the original firmware.
The files and the instructions can be found here.

Some details on the video recording limitations.
  1. With the original firmware, you cannot record video more than 28:59.
  2. If you try to make a long enough video in high quality, it will be split into several separate MOV files. This was made because of 4Gb file size limitation imposed by FAT filesystem used in the SD cards. In the most of the cameras it's only possible to have 5 such "splits", while E-M1ii, E-M10iii and Pen E-PL9 record up to 13 parts of a video.
My modification only removes the first of these limitations, so you can go beyond 29 minutes, and the video duration is only limited by the max number of MOV files.
With the modified firmware, E-M5ii shows the following max recording duration depending on the video quality:
  • FHD All-I - 0:36:14.
  • FHD SF - 0:53:49.
  • FHD F - 1:34:09.
  • FHD N - 2:38:49.
The durations can be different for other camera models.
I tested e_m10ii_v14.rar - on my OMD 10 mark II and firmware work fine. Video duration limit is not present. Depend of settings video duration is. more than a hour on 16GB SD card.

djamelking

New to Mu-43
forgive me i'm new here .does the e-m5 mark iii 1.4 modified firmware works on the lastest 1.5 firmware update. and how do i install this modified firmware to remove the video time limit

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
forgive me i'm new here .does the e-m5 mark iii 1.4 modified firmware works on the lastest 1.5 firmware update. and how do i install this modified firmware to remove the video time limit
You can either have the older firmware with the modification, or the new one without it, but not both. Until someone modifies the new version again.

djamelking

New to Mu-43
You can either have the older firmware with the modification, or the new one without it, but not both. Until someone modifies the new version again.
finger crossed someone will modify the firmware for the 1.5 update

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In terms of the E-m5 mark III, the place many go to for the unmodified firmware (lightsnowdev.com) to install on the camera without using Olympus Workspace, does not yet have the latest firmware updates:
  • E-m1x firmware 2.1 (released on April 6, 2021) is not there
  • E-m1 mark III firmware 1.3 (released on April 6, 2021) is not there
  • E-m5 mark III firmware 1.5 (released on June 9th, 2021) is not there.
Weird, but the Olympus firmware page does not list the E-m5 mark III 1.5 firmware release. But I ran the Olympus updater, and it did update my E-m5 mark III to 1.5. I normally use the alternative method using the SD card, since I am Linux based. But in this case, I used my wife's Windows laptop, because I wanted to install the various Panasonic lens firmwares that were just announced.

Anyway, you can download the E-m5 mark III firmware from:
The trick to finding where the firmware is is to go to the Olympus firmware page, and click on the detailed firmware information. The link that is used is in the same directory as the firmware files.

In the case of the E-m5 mark III, it is:
You won't be able to list the directory, but the firmware files seem to be of the format:
  • OLY_E_<camera number>_<firmware>00_000_0000.BIN
where
  • <camera number> is the camera model number, which is 137 for the E-m5 mark II.
  • <firmware> is a 2 digit number for the firmware, eliminating the '.'. I.e. firmware 1.5 is 15.
You make a DCOLYMP folder on your SD card. You then copy the .BIN file to E<camera number>9999.BIN and put it in the DCOLYMP folder on your SD card.

You hold down the OK button while turning on the power. The front LED should go on. Wait until it starts blinking rapidly which means the process is finished.

djamelking

New to Mu-43

In terms of the E-m5 mark III, the place many go to for the unmodified firmware (lightsnowdev.com) to install on the camera without using Olympus Workspace, does not yet have the latest firmware updates:
  • E-m1x firmware 2.1 (released on April 6, 2021) is not there
  • E-m1 mark III firmware 1.3 (released on April 6, 2021) is not there
  • E-m5 mark III firmware 1.5 (released on June 9th, 2021) is not there.
Weird, but the Olympus firmware page does not list the E-m5 mark III 1.5 firmware release. But I ran the Olympus updater, and it did update my E-m5 mark III to 1.5. I normally use the alternative method using the SD card, since I am Linux based. But in this case, I used my wife's Windows laptop, because I wanted to install the various Panasonic lens firmwares that were just announced.

Anyway, you can download the E-m5 mark III firmware from:
The trick to finding where the firmware is is to go to the Olympus firmware page, and click on the detailed firmware information. The link that is used is in the same directory as the firmware files.

In the case of the E-m5 mark III, it is:
You won't be able to list the directory, but the firmware files seem to be of the format:
  • OLY_E_<camera number>_<firmware>00_000_0000.BIN
where
  • <camera number> is the camera model number, which is 137 for the E-m5 mark II.
  • <firmware> is a 2 digit number for the firmware, eliminating the '.'. I.e. firmware 1.5 is 15.
You make a DCOLYMP folder on your SD card. You then copy the .BIN file to E<camera number>9999.BIN and put it in the DCOLYMP folder on your SD card.

You hold down the OK button while turning on the power. The front LED should go on. Wait until it starts blinking rapidly which means the process is finished.
thank you very very much . now that my camera has the 1.4 firmware . how do i install the hack firmware? thanks

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
thank you very very much . now that my camera has the 1.4 firmware . how do i install the hack firmware? thanks
Pretty much the same way. Download the file containing the modified firmware, put it into your SD card at DCOLYMP\E137999.BIN. Make sure your batteries are fully charged. Start the camera by holding the OK button while powering it on. Wait until the LED light starts flashing rapidly.

If you want to return to the official Olympus firmware, just repeat the process, using the official firmware. Olympus allows you to go to older revisions of firmware using the SD card method (unlike Panasonic, which will not let you go back to a previous version).

djamelking

New to Mu-43
o
Pretty much the same way. Download the file containing the modified firmware, put it into your SD card at DCOLYMP\E137999.BIN. Make sure your batteries are fully charged. Start the camera by holding the OK button while powering it on. Wait until the LED light starts flashing rapidly.

If you want to return to the official Olympus firmware, just repeat the process, using the official firmware. Olympus allows you to go to older revisions of firmware using the SD card method (unlike Panasonic, which will not let you go back to a previous version).
thank you very much . it show 2h:45mn on 4k 25fps on a 128gb card . i hope it's true . i will test that tomorrow .

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
o

thank you very much . it show 2h:45mn on 4k 25fps on a 128gb card . i hope it's true . i will test that tomorrow .
On my G85, I calculated that 4K at 30fps would fill a 128GB card in about 1 3/4 hours.

Note, on the E-m5 mark III, another option is if you have an external recorder and use 1080p (not 4K or C4K), you can set the HDMI output to record instead of monitor mode. The E-m1 mark II/III and E-m1x also have a record mode and they don't have a 4K/C4K limitation. I don't know if they do not have the 30 minute limit, but I assume the E-m1 mark III and E-m1x don't.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Has anything been made to address the occasional lock-ups, freezes, re-starts of the E-M1 Mark I? Sort of maddening why it sometimes freezes, then a re-start and all settings go back to default or where it was last shut off successfuly. This is the third copy of one where the first two (used) had the bad (erratic shutter speeds) rear dial issue which was mechanical, but this one's dial works other than the freeze-ups which seem electronic in nature.

Don't know if it is a card issue, but I've tried others. Been wondering, given its early age, if it is some odd FAT issue where it will not work on later SD cards? :confused-53:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Has anything been made to address the occasional lock-ups, freezes, re-starts of the E-M1 Mark I?
Sounds like you have a hardware issue. I have been using my E-M1.1 for about 7 years now and have never experienced any of those problems ever.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sounds like you have a hardware issue. I have been using my E-M1.1 for about 7 years now and have never experienced any of those problems ever.
You're lucky as it seems you got a good one.

These used ones seem to have issues, and maybe why they were also sold as used. Every manufacture's refurb I ever got had some issue that seemed to surface at some point, usually past the refurb's warranty period - and especially with the sometimes sporatic freezing ones like my E-M1. Oh well....

PhotoDmiK

Mu-43 Regular
Has anything been made to address the occasional lock-ups, freezes, re-starts of the E-M1 Mark I?
Have you modded firmware installed? Do not understand why you asked here.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Every manufacture's refurb I ever got had some issue that seemed to surface at some point, usually past the refurb's warranty period - and especially with the sometimes sporatic freezing ones like my E-M1.
Well the one I mentioned I have been using for about 7 years I also bought refurbished from Olympus. If this was a common issue with firmware then I would expect all bodies to experience this. Since I have only heard of these issue right now from you, logic would indicate it is with your specific copy and therefore likely hardware related.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom