Modified firmware, looking for users

kelstertx

Mu-43 Rookie
Well I managed to disassemble at least... have to admit it's a little beyond me to do this level of reverse-engineering at the raw instruction set level, and I don't want to risk bricking my brand new camera...

Unfortunately, it seems like Olympus have pulled firmware 1.4 and 2.0 from their server - that was the update where they opened up pro-capture high to all AF lenses. It would have been interesting to see what might have changed.
One way you might consider approaching it... doing binary compares against stock and modded firmware versions of the same release. You should see "strings" that got replaced by Abel and see those patterns propagate into later versions. Most of his fixes amounted to branch decisions where he forced the outcome to always go the way he wanted (ie, always allow stacking whether the pro lens is detected or not, or never show the battery warning even if non-OEM battery is detected, etc). Those before/after differences should exist in the 3.1 stock firmware too.

BTW, what happened to Abel?

-Kelly

dbateman

Mu-43 Rookie
One way you might consider approaching it... doing binary compares against stock and modded firmware versions of the same release. You should see "strings" that got replaced by Abel and see those patterns propagate into later versions. Most of his fixes amounted to branch decisions where he forced the outcome to always go the way he wanted (ie, always allow stacking whether the pro lens is detected or not, or never show the battery warning even if non-OEM battery is detected, etc). Those before/after differences should exist in the 3.1 stock firmware too.

BTW, what happened to Abel?

-Kelly
Well I know nothing about this. But looked up some firmware hacks and try to open and compare the firmware. As far as I got was to see its encrypted. No idea how to get past that. The hex did look interesting.

kelstertx

Mu-43 Rookie
Well I know nothing about this. But looked up some firmware hacks and try to open and compare the firmware. As far as I got was to see its encrypted. No idea how to get past that. The hex did look interesting.
I downloaded FlexHex and using the compare tool (under the search menu) I could find the differences in the hex code. Double-clicking twice on each of the pink mismatch lines at the bottom will sync the top two panes to the same offset in the file.

I used the E-M1.2 files for testing. Comparing the 2.3 stock to Abel's 2.3, there were only 3 differences. I then compared the 3.0 stock to Abel's 3.0, and again there were only 3 differences, but the strings were not the same as what was seen in 2.3. I had hoped that the branch code would be the same from version to version to make for an easy search and replace hack, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I guess we'll need to figure out how Abel was able to disassemble the code. Hopefully he'll return and save us the hassle!

Last edited:

PhotoDmiK

Mu-43 Regular
You need to decrypt single firmware file to set of files, patch one of them and crypt them back to single file.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Hi, can someone tell me how to get over the writing protection on SD card ( not the manual switch) on Windows 8.1. I dowloaded the firmware from abel but i can't load it on a sd card. I googled it and try the registry modification but It won't let me install the files.. I'm on firmware 3.1 but I'd like to try the focus stacking.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, can someone tell me how to get over the writing protection on SD card ( not the manual switch) on Windows 8.1. I dowloaded the firmware from abel but i can't load it on a sd card. I googled it and try the registry modification but It won't let me install the files.. I'm on firmware 3.1 but I'd like to try the focus stacking.
Hi, I use 8.1 and I have no issue writing to my cards, except for one that has a loose switch.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Hi, I use 8.1 and I have no issue writing to my cards, except for one that has a loose switch.
Definitly a issue with my laptop. It works on another one. Thank you for your help and thank you Abel the stacking works great !

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Definitly a issue with my laptop. It works on another one. Thank you for your help and thank you Abel the stacking works great !
Buy an external USB card reader, they are not expensive. The ones built in to computers are generally less reliable/lower quality.

dbateman

Mu-43 Rookie
Has anyone tested a glassless EF to m43rds adapter to see if it works for focus stacking with the hack? Specifically the Voltrox EF-M1 adapter?

I have the Andoer EF adapter and it will allow for stacking. But the focus adjustment is so slow that it will just stay in one place. Tested on both Em1mk1 and Em5mk2.
My Metabones speed booster ultra does work with firmware 3.34 on both cameras for focus stacking.

I see someone else has tested the Kipon adapter and got the same result as I got with the Andoer.

I wonder if either the vitrox or metabones will work, as there have faster AF and are firmware upgradable.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Has anyone tested a glassless EF to m43rds adapter to see if it works for focus stacking with the hack? Specifically the Voltrox EF-M1 adapter?

I have the Andoer EF adapter and it will allow for stacking. But the focus adjustment is so slow that it will just stay in one place. Tested on both Em1mk1 and Em5mk2.
My Metabones speed booster ultra does work with firmware 3.34 on both cameras for focus stacking.

I see someone else has tested the Kipon adapter and got the same result as I got with the Andoer.

I wonder if either the vitrox or metabones will work, as there have faster AF and are firmware upgradable.
The latest firmware update on Metabones will "work" with some lenses in my experience as it tells the camera that it is a native lens (thus, being able to be driven in AF mode for video).

dbateman

Mu-43 Rookie
The latest firmware update on Metabones will "work" with some lenses in my experience as it tells the camera that it is a native lens (thus, being able to be driven in AF mode for video).
Is that also with the glassless adapter as well. I know it works with my Metabones speed booster ultra and a Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake.

I am hoping that the Vitrox works though as it only $100.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom