1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Modern" AF speeds

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ~tc~, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Costco has really increased their camera selection for the holidays. They have a 7D demo with kit lens. The time to change focus from near to far is appallingly slow - my G3 is noticeably faster. Now, I know PDAF has certain advantages with moving targets, but for me, that's a very minor part of my shooting.

Anyways, this got me thinking ... Has AF speed gotten so fast so as to not matter any more?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  3. This is why the question of whether a CDAF mirrorless camera can focus "as fast as a DSLR" was always a flawed one. Which DSLR, which lens? In this case it's the 7D being hobbled by the lens. There never was a single measure of performance for DSLR focus speeds.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My OMD is noticeably faster in single AF than my Sony A65 with the 16-50 supersonic driven lens. (Though at some level you're really splitting hairs in differentiating the two.) Compared to an entry or mid level DSLR kit without supersonic drive, the Olympus takes a commanding lead. I'm surprised reviewers never seem to mention this. I've never been disappointed by the A65/SSM combo, but other cameras I've tried have been surprising, with the way everyone talks about DSLR AF performance.