1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"Modern" AF speeds

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ~tc~, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Costco has really increased their camera selection for the holidays. They have a 7D demo with kit lens. The time to change focus from near to far is appallingly slow - my G3 is noticeably faster. Now, I know PDAF has certain advantages with moving targets, but for me, that's a very minor part of my shooting.

Anyways, this got me thinking ... Has AF speed gotten so fast so as to not matter any more?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  3. This is why the question of whether a CDAF mirrorless camera can focus "as fast as a DSLR" was always a flawed one. Which DSLR, which lens? In this case it's the 7D being hobbled by the lens. There never was a single measure of performance for DSLR focus speeds.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My OMD is noticeably faster in single AF than my Sony A65 with the 16-50 supersonic driven lens. (Though at some level you're really splitting hairs in differentiating the two.) Compared to an entry or mid level DSLR kit without supersonic drive, the Olympus takes a commanding lead. I'm surprised reviewers never seem to mention this. I've never been disappointed by the A65/SSM combo, but other cameras I've tried have been surprising, with the way everyone talks about DSLR AF performance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.