1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Moderate wide angle manual lens that's native to micro four thirds?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by wern0122, May 20, 2019.

1. wern0122

wern0122 New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2019
    Hello! Question: Are there no MFT moderately wide angle lenses (prime from ~15 to 20mm) with both manual focus and aperture rings? I love shooting with a manual lens that has plain mechanical focus ring and aperture ring, and I've really enjoyed some of the normal length (25mm) and mild telephoto length (e.g. 55 mm) lenses that are available cheaply (~$100) from some of the Chinese companies that I'll refrain from advertising here. Basically, the optics are good enough for me (hobbyist) and I get a real bit of enjoyment from the tactile experience of turning those metal rings and watching the exposure meter on the screen. And, it just feels more natural after using my old Minolta SRT film camera. However, moderate wide angle lenses, around 17mm being a sweet spot on MFT, are so fantastically useful, but not available in this cheap manual lens market segment? Is it that much more expensive and difficult to make a wide angle lens? Am I missing an obvious 17mm wide angle lens out there that's all manual & mechanical? I'm considering just getting a focal reducer and using my old Minolta MC Rokkor lenses, but then I'd loose the compactness benefits of the MFT format.

My camera is an Olympus PEN E-PL8, which means there's only one physical dial on the body. So, if that dial is adjusting the shutter speed, then there's no way to set the aperture on an electronically controlled lens other than clicking through on-screen menus (groan).

2. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 23, 2015
    Samyang (Rokinon) has few fully manual MFT lenses in this range (14mm f/2.8, 16mm f/2, 20mm f/1.8, 21mm f/1.4) but they are more expensive (~$350) than cheap Chinese lenses.

3. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    hi and welcome to the forum. Former Minolta SR-1 shooter here and now EPL7.

Voigtlaender make a nice set of all manual lenses for M43, including 17.5 and a 25. They're spendy but meet your criteria, and go down to 0.95 aperture.

MFT- Mount - Voigtländer

I shoot in Aperture priority over 90% of the time. After a few years in digital I've lost most of my old film habits, including shooting manual. I don't miss it ...

4. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    They are also not truly native lenses, although they do come with m43 mounts. They are designed for APS-C or FF cameras and are pretty large by m43 standards.

5. wern0122

wern0122 New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2019
    Thanks all! The Voigtlanders looks NICE but way out of my price range. I'll look into the Samyangs, though, for sure - maybe used ones will be out there. The 16mm looks a bit bulky but otherwise what I had in mind! :)  Yeah, as for native lenses, I don't think the cheap Chinese ones are native mft either considering that they come in the same specs and physical appearance for APS-C cameras as well. But, in APS-C, folks complain about vignetting, so maybe they're not optimized for either? :p  LOL

You know, I could be happy with Aperture Priority mode on a digital lens, using the top dial on the body to adjust aperture, if the PEN E-PL8 had an exposure compensation dial as well, but it doesn't. And, it doesn't have an AE lock button separate from the soft touch on the shutter either. So, I usually stay in Program mode with a digital lens. Maybe I just got the wrong camera! But, I LOVE how tiny it is, so I guess you win some you lose some.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    There's way more to the little Pen than meets the eye! I think the E-PL8 is nearly identical to the EPL7. The two shoulder buttons on the upper right are programmable, as is the record button, and the right arrow and down arrow on the directional pad.

On the upper right shoulder buttons I have the left one set to AE-lock, and the right one is set to EV. You can even customize different profiles for AE/AF lock while in single or continuous focus modes.

AE-lock is a no-brainer. You can even set back button focus with that as well but I don't find that it works very well with my grip, which took a while to get comfortable with.

EV is hard-coded to the up-arrow on the 4-way adjustment. Even though it's always there, I find that it's much faster to tap the right shoulder button and twist the dial, then tap once more to set it and return to aperture priority.
    After the muscle memory kicks in it's nearly as good as having a dedicated dial.

You can also assign settings profiles which will make life much easier, and even assign PASM dial as if they were C1/C2/C3/C4 stations. I went 3 years before figuring this out - major time saver with so many features crammed into such a small device.

Tip: Assigning custom settings profiles to worthless dial modes

re: lens, the Voigts are really expensive, no doubt. In terms of size, edge-to-edge sharpness and autofocus speed the f1.8 primes are really a fantastic value, as is the rest of the range, really. There are some great bang-for-buck deals in the native lineup once you start exploring the range a bit more.

7. wern0122

wern0122 New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2019
    Thanks fader - I've had EV mapped to the up arrow but then I've never been able to use it fluidly. Maybe I need to rethink my setup... I noticed those MySet thingies but have never been able to decipher what they actually do. You've inspired me to sit down and RTFM! :)  Way cheaper than buying more stuff!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.