1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mode Dial top plate fell off E-PL2.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ned, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Has this happened to anybody else? The top plate of my mode dial (with all the P - A - S - M, etc. markings) just fell off my E-PL2 today. Thankfully I found it on the floor of the van and put it back on with a couple dabs of crazy glue.

I actually lost it twice... the first time I found it right away, but I accidentally let it fall back onto the mode dial and I couldn't get it back off again! So then when it fell off again I had no idea where it went until the end of the day after leaving the studio, it re-appeared on the floor of the van... and I immediately went and glued it back on properly.

Thankfully, this plate isn't a real necessity as the camera displays what mode you're in on the LCD... My E-3 has no mode dial at all. ;)

This has been quite a day... besides that, a fully-loaded mannequin toppled over on my seamless paper backdrop and tore it. I had to go to the camera store before they closed for the day and buy another $65 roll. xP We managed to salvage some of the old roll though. I was getting tired of that paper anyways, and was getting ready to replace it soon.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    +1 for Crazy Glue...battle tested and all around great tool.

3. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Cheap camera

That's what happens when you get a cheaply made camera. I have had problems with my grip and Olympus repair will not acknowledge it is a defect. At least they think they are free from responsibility, I have news for them.

4. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I don't think my E-PL2 build quality is any cheaper than other cameras out there.

5. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Evidentally some of them are. QC!

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I find it interesting that any concerns with build quality I have seen or heard about are almost exclusively with E-PL series and not E-P series...does this mean you get what you pay for?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yush, I think you do get what you pay for. Look at the mode dial on the E-P1 for instance... That's a very fine quality, well engineered piece. I can just look at my E-PL2 mode dial and tell it's not of the same quality.

But the advantages in performance of the E-PL2 are enough that I wouldn't go back to an E-P1 or even an E-P2. ;) At least not as a regular body.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    In no way commenting on performance, just build quality. In my case that is why I did not upgrade from E-PL1 to E-PL2 as it struck me as slapped together instead of built with long term use in mind. Even though the E-P2 has it's short comings it is built like a tank, and performance increases don't do me any good if it's in the shop being fixed all the time. I buy stuff that lasts, normally...

9. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    It's always terrifying to be reminded of our equipment's mortality...

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with you, Grinch. But, I think there's enough weak points in the build of any Micro Four-Thirds body that it doesn't matter as much. For instance, my current E-PL2 replaced a two year old E-P1 with a busted LCD. That camera was so well built that it could take almost any damage, but how can you avoid the fragility of the LCD? Of course, Leica has an indestructible Sapphire LCD on a limited edition body, but that thing costs a fortune! I've actually always wondered if OLED is more durable?

It's not like the E-1, E-3, and E-5, where you pay for a body which will last you through the life of its shutter (and that pro shutter will last 3x the life of a consumer shutter).

When I look at the difference between my E-P1 and E-PL2, I see minor cheap-outs like the mode dial (which is now a style used on the E-P3, too!) and lack of orientation sensor. However, I don't really see much that will prolong the actual life of the camera.
    On the other hand... going back to 2007 and comparing my E-510 and my E-3... The E-3 was definitely a solid investment in a camera that would take all the toils of serious professional photography. And that's not to demean the E-510 either, which was a very solid camera and those using Canon and Nikon APS-C bodies noticed immediately how solid it felt compared to their bodies.

11. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Yes the build quality of the EPL2 is inferior to the EP1-2-3. And it does feel like they are slapped together and they should have a warning label on everyone of them "handle with care".

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I wonder if it's covered by the warranty. I find the dial very useful and use it every day to switch between the modes. I would not enjoy the cameras as much without it.

13. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    You think so? I've often thought the E-PL2 had the perfect combination of heft and portability, but I've never owned one of the EP's...

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh no worries with that... it wasn't the whole dial that fell off, but just the little cover on the top of it with the markings. If it was the entire dial I would be very upset. ;)

15. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Considering the original MSRP of the EP-2, I think we can live with the decal/ label plate coming off the "lesser" EPL-2.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Agreed... I paid nearly half the price for my E-PL2 as I did the original E-P1!

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I always thought the EPL1/PL2 were well put together. I will say that I thought the PL1 seemed a bit more robust than the PL2 but not nearly as attractive. As far as the EP1/2 and 3...for the difference in price they SHOULD be better built.