1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mobile travel devices

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by strang, Oct 16, 2012.

1. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    What do you travel with?

I load my iPhone (whichever version that I have at the moment) with a bunch of apps.

Compass - I use this a lot surprisingly, this is native on iOS.

Maps - native on iOS, I also bookmarked Google Maps as an app since Apple's solution is subpar at the moment.

TripAdvisor City Guides - offline guide for the popular cities, pretty good list. This app is good enough that it's replaced my need to buy LonelyPlanet apps and guides.

TripAdvisor - when I have data

Yelp - I find in North America, Yelp reviews are awesome, not so much in EU, requires data.

CityMaps2Go - offline maps, some attractions with summaries from Wikipedia for free, or full Wikipedia article if you purchased the add-on. I got this app for 99c. It has all of the OpenStreetMaps.

Kayak - tracks my trips, book new flights and hotels.

HopStop - does my transit routing, but requires data.

car2go, Zipcar - you never know, having a car is good sometimes. I don't have Zipcar installed right now because its support for Canada is limited to Toronto or Vancouver.

XE Currency converter - I never get rates as good as XE. But it's a good reference guide.

Airbnb, Hotel Tonight, Expedia - and some other hotel apps. Kayak has slowly taken over booking duties.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    WIFI only Motorola Xoom tablet, basic cell phone, GPS (if by car) and my :43: cameras. :biggrin:

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    iPad - I find Fotopedia Heritage to be good for travel "recon"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I travel with a MacBook Air 11" and a portable battery powered wireless router with a 4G SIM inside.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Toshiba thrive all the way...pretty darn close to full laptop functionality....full size sd, usb and hdmi and a ton of apps running on android ice cream sandwich

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Two galaxy Notes. A big one and a small one. Plus a hyperdrive for storage and backup.

Photoshop touch for basic editing.
    Evernote for everything.
    Google maps because they don't suck.
    The photographers ephemeris.
    I have a Suunto Ambit watch for GPS and compass, etc. My phone is a backup.
    Kindle app for books
    Zinio for magazines.

Plus lots of cameras.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Acer One 522 which I upgraded with 4gb ram and to dual boot win7/linux mint. - stores images, editing, watching videos at the airport.

HTC desire HD Google Maps, SatNav etc.

8. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    The Photographer's Ephemersis on Ipad

9. emperorvince

emperorvince Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    NYC
    Toshiba Thrive tablet on ICS, 4gig usb dive, Samsung Galaxy S2 phone on Gingerbread, Suunto Military watch, & Panasonic GF2..+ usb cable to transfer pics to Thrive tablet.