1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mobile Communications

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Maczero, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I grabbed the opportunity at lunchtime to take my GF1 and 45-200 to practise with the lens and to test out pjohgren's jpeg settings. The South Bank of the Thames has a great walkway along by the river with some iconic views - but what struck me was this woman running at full tilt and still managing to have a conversation on her mobile phone. I couldn't do it; one or the other, but not both!

GF1, 45-200, jpeg using pjohgren's settings and my Aperture preset for it.

Andrew

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Oh Oh, did you tell Peter you were going to use his settings in Aperture? You didn't import them as RAW did you?? :eek:

Look out Peter, you're starting a trend. Disciple number one has checked in already.... and it's spread to France!! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    That's funny - but it looks great! Nice natural color, contrast, and sharpness. Looking good Maczero. Didn't realize you could dial in-camera settings into Aperture.

4. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I quite liked a lot about your settings, but I wanted to deal with the slight magenta cast I saw in the jpeg and attempt to get the skies closer to the Oly blue (which I prefer). I basically use two auto adjustments in Aperture (one for contrast and one for colour cast), dial in some shadow and highlight recovery and make a tweak to the blue colour in the sky. If it's way off one click undoes, but it seems to be a reasonable starting point. Perhaps the subject for a thread in another forum?

Andrew

5. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi Andrew -

So did you shoot this as a jpeg using the settings I have been using, then bring the jpeg into Aperture and further tweak it? That is really what I am doing also. I agree that the settings are a starting point to get the in-camera image close to the way you like them. You might want, therefore, to back off a notch or so with the magenta in the WB setting, like a -1 toward magenta instead of a - 2 or -3. I think I was using -3 then backed off to -2.

Anyway - I would be interested to know if you are bringing jpeg files into Aperture. I have never used Aperture, but use Photoshop 7.

Peter

6. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Yes, that's right. At the moment I am shooting Raw plus jpeg for safety net reasons. I generally import them as a pair into Aperture. The more space-efficient way is to import the jpeg only, decide which ones really need to be dealt with in Raw and then import 'matching Raws'. Don't clear your card until you have gone through this step.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  7. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Do you see a day when you just deal with jpegs and don't need the RAW? For me, that day came and I now am trying to get the best possible jpeg - one which is just about there - which I then tweak a little further in Photoshop. It just feels so much less cumbersome than dealing with and storing the RAW files.

8. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Great Andrew - will check over on the JPG thread.

Peter