1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

mobi eye-fi experiences with OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigbluebear, Jul 3, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi,

I've been reading on the forums a bit and have revisited the possibility of incorporating a wifi SD card into my workflow. Ideally, it'd be great to save images as small jpg + raw onto SD card and have the jpgs automatically sent to an iPad as the photos are taken. The photosmith can be incorporated to weed through the photos so that a smaller number are actually imported into lightroom.

Has anyone been using the mobi eye-fi? The new card is a class 10 so I hope that's fast enough for jpgs. Also what size card are you using? I was thinking 8GB would be enough for a day of casual shooting.

2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The Pro Class 10 is plenty fast enough for RAWs. The previous Class 6 would throw in a error if you tried to review too quickly.

You probably want the Pro, not the Mobi.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I use exactly the workflow that you are thinking of.

Can I suggest that you dont use the Mobi eye-fi card but use the x2 eye-fi card. As I understand it the Mobi eye-fi card is a 'pull' wifi card - in other words you have to access the card from your ipad and select the images you want to download. The x2 eye-fi cards are 'push' cards so that they can be set to 'automatically' download the jpegs to your ipad.

I am not even sure that Photosmith is compatible with the Mobi eye-fi card and it really wouldnt surprise me if it is not.

Edit: From the Photosmithapp website - 'Eye-Fi is a specific wireless service that works only for older Eye-Fi cards (not the new Eye-Fi Mobi).'

4. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    I saw someone else post this video it explains the different Eye-fi cards.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70lbIzgu3c]The Eye-Fi Mobi SD Card - YouTube[/ame]

5. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    the Mobi is a 'push' card also. if you're only sending JPGs from camera to a phone or tablet, get the Mobi, there is no difference in functionality for that use.

though I know nothing about Photosmith. I use Shuttersnitch and it's terrific.

6. kimnkk

kimnkk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    Me!bourne, Australia
    I used to use an Eye-Fi Pro X2 (same as Mobi except you can connect it to PC) and found that the 'push' style of cards did not suit me.

I prefer to be able to browse photos and 'pull' the ones i want from my tablet or phone.

I now have a Transcend card that allows me to browse and pull from the phone, whereas the mobi you have to push all photos, or to push specific ones, u have to select image lock on your camera.

7. tje53

tje53 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2013
    kimnkk,

I just found this note on Transcend's compatibility list:

"*The power-on voltage of the Olympus OMD EM-5 sometimes rises too slowly, which can prevent the Wi-Fi signal from appearing. Please turn the camera on first and then insert the Wi-Fi SD card."

Is this your experience with the Transcend eye-fi card? Do you have to remove and reinsert the card every time you use it, or just the first time?

Any downside to using this card with an OM-D?

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    It couldve been a lemon but when I ordered my Transcend I spent 3 hours trying to get it to work with my OM-D then promptly put it back in its box and shipped it back to Amazon. WOULD NOT WORK AT ALL.
    So just beware, the OM-D is not officially supported by them and I found out the hard way.

9. flikmy

flikmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 20, 2011
    Like bigbluebear, I'm looking for an "eye-fi" card that I could use to transfer Jpegs only from my OMD to my (or my wife's) ipad/iphone. Since the OMD has a switch specifically for eye-fi cards (to turn the wifi on), I thought that the new mobi card might be useful. Anyway, actually tried using it already?

The other problem I find with the OMD is that its quite picky regarding sd cards. I've had a 32GB Sandisk Ultra constantly error on me (had to reformat it to continue using it on the OMD). However, my 8GB calss 10 Transend card works fine.

Not sure if the new eye-fi's will cause the same issue.

10. kimnkk

kimnkk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    Me!bourne, Australia
    Sorry for the late reply,

Hmm maybe it could explain why sometimes I don't see the wifi pop up - usually if I haven't taken a photo.

11. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    I know it's an old thread but I've been experimenting with WiFi SD Cards (Transcend SD and Eye-Fi Mobi) on my E-M5.

I can confirm that you indeed need to insert the Transcend card after powering up the E-M5 for the network to appear. Upgrading the card's firmware also helps greatly as I just couldn't make it work with the stock version.

I also got an Eye-Fi Mobi, that is actually officially supported, but couldn't get it to work at all. No matter what I tried the network never popped up, so I finally returned it.

At the end I settled for nothing at all. I'd rather not have the feature than struggle with something that's a pain in the arse to get to work every time you need it.

12. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

That's too bad that the Eye-fi cards didn't work. I have three or four that have worked with all my cameras and they can be really handy. However I've read lots of reports like the one above that tells me Eye-fi still has some problems to solve in QC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

13. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I used the Eye-Fi Mobi (8GB) card with my Canon 60D, Olympus E-PL3, and E-PL5 with great success. All cameras supported the card and have Eye-Fi function in menus. One frustration for me was that you have to let the Eye-Fi send all images (no option to select!) not previously sent then discard rejects from mobile device after transfer. Another issue was connection being dropped if no activity from camera. A month ago, I purchased an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with built-in Wi-Fi () and love it! Eye-Fi Mobi is back in the Canon 60D. I especially like that with the E-M10 I can choose which images to transfer.

One advantage I find with the Eye-Fi Mobi, though, is that I can have it activated/connected to, say, my iPad which is connected to a projector and have shots appear on the big screen as I take them this is great for a class where you are demonstrating technique, lighting, etc., though you have to continue to shoot or the connection will drop. With the E-M10, on the other hand, you can't do this, as far as I can see. Of course, with the camera Wi-Fi, you can control the camera, something the Eye-Fi is not designed for.

14. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    I've used the Transcend card for a while in my PL5 which worked well if the Firmware of the card is updated. The biggest downside of those cards was for me their bad write performance. While cheap to medium priced sd cards from Sandisk and others write easily 45MB/s the Transcend and EyeFi cards often write with 10-15 MB/s. I had a couple of times where the buffer of the camera couldn't be cleared fast enough because of the low performance of the card so it throttled me down.

It was one of the reasons why I've now switched to the E-M10 with build-in Wifi. I think once all cameras have this feature those cards will be history.

15. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Update on the WiFi SD Cards :)

I've bought a Toshiba FlashAir card (the Class 10 version), it was so far my most painless experience with a WiFi SD Card, it worked right away and the software support for it is very good. The Olympus Image Share app actually supports it out of the box but you don't even need that as you can access your photos directly from the phone's or computer's web browser! Pretty handy.

It's not the fastest thing in the world (~10MB/s write speed / ~20MB/s read speed), but it's fairly adequate for casual shooting, which suits me well in most cases.

Paired with the Fujifilm Instax SP-1 "printer" I bought the other day, it's a pretty terrific setup to shoot and print photos on the go!

• Like Like x 1