1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MMF2 vs MMF3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Mar 4, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If anyone has ever wondered what the difference is between the MMF2 and MMF3, 4/3 to m4/3 adapter, well, not much really. I have both and from what I can tell, the only difference is that the MMF3 has weather sealing, where the MMF2 does not. And for some reason, the MMF2 appears more substantial than the MMF3. It's a tad heavier, giving it the feel of being more robust, for what that may be worth. Both focus just as fast on the E-M1 at least. So if you're ever contemplating buying a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter, if you don't intend to work in pouring rain etc, then the cheaper MMF2 will serve you well.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think it depends on your choice of bodies - I went with the MMF3 because if I'm out shooting my 'long glass' (the 50-200 SWD) on the E-M1, I'm likely to be in envrionments that aren't always hospitable (Africa, Antarctica, on boats, etc..), so I like the peace of mind that the entire chain (camera - adapter - (teleconverter) - lens) is weather sealed.

3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I fully understand about weather sealing. Three years ago we went to Antelope Canyon near Page AZ. The wind was very strong which meant sand was pouring in on us like from a bucket. Our 5DII DSLRs survived wish a light brushing, some puffs of air and a cleaning towelette (Zeiss lens wipes). But the Tamron lenses had to be sent it for cleaning and rebuilding (which almost cost as much as the lens purchase price). So definitely go for sealed whenever practical/possible.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got my MMF-3 as a bonus when I first got the E-M5 & it makes a full weather (splash) proof kit with the 14-54 II lens.