1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MMF-3,weathersealed 4/3 lenses, and AF speed (paging Ned)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by labcoatguy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    So we have a new sexy sexy desireable and soon to be pre-order sold out (or is it just me?) weather-sealed body, and along with it a new adapter for 4/3 lenses that's also weather sealed. There's also the usual words from Olympus about the fastest AF ever, once again. So...1) is this going to translate into fast (or at least usably faster) AF on those weather sealed 4/3 lenses (14-54 II apart) on the new body, 2) if not, does it matter right now, and 3) could this be a prelude to a next generation of PDAF-enabled :43: bodies? Thoughts, anyone, especially Ned?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a good question, and I can really only answer on my gut instinct... Every improvement to AF speed on the new PEN bodies (even firmware updates) has given some incremental improvement even on Four-Thirds lenses, though it is certainly less noticeable than with native lenses. I'm guessing this new body will show improvement but we probably won't get that close to the performance on Four-Thirds DSLRs yet. However, I'm guessing that with CDAF-enabled lenses like the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II that the new fast Imager-AF will make a real difference!

With the weather sealed adapter though, I'm sure this must be high on their priority list! It will take a long time for them to build a new weather sealed lineup, and so far they're only one lens in (12-50mm) with one on the way (60mm macro). People can use their new weather sealed body immediately with the adapter, but many will feel left out if they can't rely on the fast AF they're used to (personally, I've already gotten used to my 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies so it'll only get better for me, lol).

What really intrigues me is the word of the new AF system being "3D" and able to track subjects simultaneously even if they're moving towards/away from you. Now this sounds like the sort of thing that PDAF can do... Does this mean that the new AF system will work better with lenses made for PDAF? Maybe, maybe not... one thing that does mean however, is that once the native lens collection grows to be complete, we will now have the C-AF capabilities of a DSLR, not just S-AF. Meaning that the native system could be a very viable replacement for a full DSLR kit, even for those who rely on AF!