MLB Baseball game

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by jcm5, Jul 31, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    I currently own EM10 + some good primes (12mm, 45mm) and the 9mm BCL, but I'm certain none of this is long enough by any means to get some good action shots. What other lenses would you all recommend and would using something like borrow lenses be a decent option? (I don't really want to shell out hundreds for a long lens right now...)

And I know stadiums have some restrictions about them and the one I'm going to just says any camera longer than 5" in length is prohibited.

Any help/suggestions welcome!
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
  3. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

It depends on where your seats are. I went to a Braves game last year with my NX10 and 55-200 (so essentially the 40-150 in m43 world) and I got some ok shots, but I wanted a longer lens the whole time. My seats were upper deck midway down the 3rd base line. At full zoom I could pretty well fill the frame with the batter and had to crop a little to get the pitcher to fill the frame. The lens I had is a little soft at the long end, similar to the 40-150 so I was left wanting on sharpness, and heavy cropping didn't yield good results. I would suggest the panasonic 100-300 or olympus 75-300. If you're close you could get by with the 40-150 or panasonic 45-200. I would suggest renting if you don't want to shell out for the long lens. I think 3 days on the 100-300 is like $35 or so.
  4. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Not an MLB game, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread.
    I went to a Durham Bulls game - yes the same team from the movie, although they are now in a new stadium. They're a Triple-A team in Durham, NC.

Unfortunately, I only had the 12-40 lens on me which wasn't remotely long enough. If you're wondering why I only got stadium shots - that's why. Also, we were looking directly at the sun so HDR aplenty.

celebration1.jpeg Dbulls4.jpeg Dbulls3 - Lucky Strike Tower.jpeg Dbulls5.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I have never had any issue getting into a game with my GX7 and 35-100/2.8. Not the longest zoom but it works well for me.

• Like Like x 2