1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mitakon Lens Turbo or Generic?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jun 6, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I wanted to get a focal reducer for my legacy glass but i dont have 550 dollars for the metabones one. I wanted to get the Mitakon one, which i assume its the same as the zhongyi one? here is the link http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mitakon-Lens...227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad0bed903

Also, is this the updated versiokn of the lens turbo? i knew that there was an updated one that came out. Anyways, is it worth the extra 40-60 dollars to buy this one over the generic focal reducers from china/hong kong? EDIT: Also will it be ok if i get the canon EF version and attach an adapter on that for the nikon and m42 stuff i have? Or should i go with another version. I also have an m39 lens coming and i'd like to be able to use that as well

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't know whether this will factor in, but Metabones just announced a 0.64x speedbooster (current one is 0.71x). They haven't designed one to fit OM-Ds yet though.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Oh well i didnt know this. Wouldn't the fact that it reduces the focal length even more make it cost more? Also will the mitakon lens turbo work with the E-M10? I would rather get something sooner than later

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. wjiang

I think it does indeed cost a little more. Can't comment on the lens turbo, I know that part of the reason for the standard speedbooster not fitting (there's a dedicated OM-D one) is a) the shape of the OM-D hump and b) extra clearance required to avoid the multi-axis IBIS.

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I just took a look inside my G3 and the EM10 and the distance to the stuff inside the mount seems the same on both. I didnt notice anything different on the inside between the 2. I know the G3 has no IBIS but the EM10 does. I think i might just get a cheaper one and hope that it fits. The ones i found on ebay from a company called roxsen claim its compatible with the EM1 and EM5, it could be possible they haven't updated the listing to include the EM10, since its the most recent of the OMD line? Either way i dont know if its worth the risk of having to wait 2 weeks and then be disappointed. at the very least they offer money back so its not too bad.

6. wjiang

I think if it fits the other two OM-Ds it should fit the EM-10 as well ☺

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ya and worse case scenario i could always send it back and get a refund. I also think it depends on the lens mount the adapter is for (the flange distance). the only thing that worries me about it is if it causes damage to my camera. Also this is what i read on another listing from another seller.
    "The depth is about 7mm, may hit the sensor of some cameras such as G1. The optical glass may need to be adjusted for Olympus OM-D, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera, etc." Would there be a way to measure this? Sadly all the adapters look exactly the same so now i am worried

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    You won't be able to use any m39 rangefinder lenses with a focal reducer.

From what I can tell, the Metabones XL range of focal reducers don't cover the full m43 sensors. They seem to have just redesigned their earlier product for Blackmagic to use with *some* m43 camera's. Edit: seems I'm wrong - it does cover the full sensor - press release linky - http://www.metabones.com/assets/a/s...d_Booster_XL_0.64x_Press_Release_5Jun2015.pdf

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  9. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Is this true? I was just doing some research and found that there is a m39 to m42 adapter that focuses to infinity. I wont be able to adapt my nikon lenses but it covers most of my stuff (super takumar, helios, etc). EDIT: if you want details of what i found here is the link: http://www.amazon.ca/Fotodiox-07LAm...TF8&qid=1433655987&sr=8-1&keywords=m39+to+m42

Thank you

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    That would be the 'm39 SLR' mount, not the m39 range finder mount :)

Some of the old Russian camera's use the m39 mount but with the m42 registration distance. Check this link out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance - and look for the M39x1 entry in the list.

11. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    A focal reducer is smaller (front to back) than the equivalent plain adapter. The reason being that the adapted lens in mounted closer to the camera sensor, and then the focus "adjusted" with the optical element in the reducer. So there is zero chance of getting a M39 (also known as L39, LTM, etc) reducer, because there isn't physically room to do it - a M39 adapter is already very small.
    To do a one size fits all focal reducer you want one with the smallest distance from front to back, that you can then add different adapter rings to. For example, you could get a Canon FD focal reducer, and then mount on that a Nikon to FD adapter (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nikon-F-Lens-To-Canon-FD-Mount-Adapter-/280551763978) or a M42 to FD adapter (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-M42-Lens-to-Canon-FD-mount-adapter-A-1-AE-1-/400927246931). Since the Nikon and M42 lenses have a greater registration distance than FD, you shouldn't have issues with infinity focus (all things being equal).
    While you can get a M39 to M42 adapter ring, and attach your M39 lenses to a M42-FD ring then to a FD focal reducer, you won't gat inifinity focus - it will be like using extension tubes.

12. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Minolta used to make the L-Adapter for mounting M39 to Minolta SR/MD mount. Obviously the register wont line up, so the function of that adapter was not only to adapt but also to act as a spacer allowing M39 lenses to focus at Macro distances. I wonder if that adapter in your link does something similar.

13. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ah i see. Thanks for explaining.

14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Looking at the Zhongyi picture, the optical glass appears positioned about where it sits on my Roxsen focal reducer, after I repositioned it so it wouldn't hit the shelf above the sensor on my EM5 and EPL1. Otherwise, it looks very much like a Roxsem.

Zhongyi also advertises ED glass in the optics. To you and I, that means extra low dispersion, but who knows. Maybe they meant exceptionally dim, or extremely doggy. Just kidding.

15. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I decided to order the roxsen version of the EF focal reducer so i could save some money. It about 70 dollars cheaper from what i saw. They look almost identical, so they might be exactly them same? Either way I can't wait to try it ou

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I own the Mitakon Lens Turbo. The improved version solves some of the flaring issues of the original, but it will still flare under strong side lighting. In terms of resolution, it is supposed to be better than the other Focal Reducer except against the Metabones Speedbooster which is the best. The designer of the Speedbooster did a test and posted it on DPReview and the Mitakon ranked 2nd. The downside of the Mitakon and any other reducers is corner sharpness with ultra wide angle lenses. Otherwise, the results are good. I have some samples I posted with my Mitakon Lens Turbo which is for a Nikon lens on the adapted lens under Mitakon Lens Turbo. Works with my E-P5 and any OMD camera because its size is smaller than the Speedbooster.

There is a new Speedbooster 0.63x, but this is limited to the GH4. According to the designer, this adapter is not compatible on all MFT. Only specific models, and it is only for the Canon EF lenses.