1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mitakon Lens Turbo (new version) Nikon AIS to M43 Focal Reducer (speedbooster)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bikerhiker, Aug 16, 2014.

1. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Hi everyone,

My new Mitakon Lens Turbo that I bought from eBay from MXCamera in Hong Kong came in today and I literally put it through its paces during my usual 2 hour plus Golden Hour shoot fest that I do after work to de-stress from work. It's matched with a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-D lens and so far, I really like it. It looks sharp enough. I must have gotten a really good copy because the problems someone mentioned on DPREVIEW did not appear as bad as what I can see here.

P8150011_DxO. P8150016_DxO. P8150043_DxO. P8150058_DxO. P8150061_DxO.

Enjoy. I'm happy to be getting back some Nikon mojo from this adapter!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's the difference between the old and new one?

3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    They claimed improved lens coating that increases sharpness on this version. One thing I noticed is that flaring is the same as the NEX version being reviewed (NEX version is now type II) and I can't seem to re-create the blue blob flare when stopped down to f/5.6. I even stopped it down to f/16 and still no blue blob flare which is well known on the older version. But then I'm shooting during the golden hour so perhaps I need to shoot with harsher light perhaps at noon?

4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a cheap generic FL reducer that I'm using with my kit and I'm getting excellent results with lenses at 2.8 or slower apertures. My 50 1.8 lens was showing very soft corners with the cheap adapter though, but my 100mm 2.8 E and 75-150 3.5 E are showing sharp results.

I'm debating picking up a higher quality adapter as I'm actually liking the quality of my shots. Though it's also crossed my mind picking up an NEX-6 exclusively for MF (prices are dropping) and getting an adapter to get an even wider focal range.

5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I've been thinking same thoughts, but even the Metabones adapter on APS-C sensors (effective crop factor x1.1) have soft edges and corners. If you crop a bit more to tidy up those soft edges and corners to say x1.2 crop factor, we get something like;

[table="width: 300"]
    [tr]
    [td]FF[/td]
    [td]m43 x1.42[/td]
    [td]Sony x1.2[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]85mm[/td]
    [td]120mm[/td]
    [td]100mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]35mm[/td]
    [td]50mm[/td]
    [td]42mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]21mm[/td]
    [td]30mm[/td]
    [td]25mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    I still haven't made up my mind if the resultant focal lengths are worth the switch. Thoughts Jonathan?

6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I found that the adapter's corner drops from f/2 and then gets progressively worse @ f/1.4, but still acceptable. Metabones is probably better, but I just can't justify the price especially when it's not giving me any wider view than this. I have given some thought along the same line of picking up a A6000 just for that 24MP APS-C and the Metabones in the future, but I'm just going to hold on to what Olympus has in store for the new E-M5 mark II. I have, for me, a complete m43 lens system plus 2 four thirds lens that I don't see myself switching to another platform. If I want an ultra wide angle lens, I'll just stick a Nikon 10-24mm APS-C zoom lens and get 14mm which is 35mm FOV on the widest end on my Olympus. Wide enough for my purpose. Problem with this adapter is that, it won't stop down a G lens like the Metabones does so you have to manual stop it down by placing lever stopper.

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can only see it being an issue if you're using wide angle lenses, but in the standard to telephoto range I don't think it'd be a big difference. The only thing that makes me think about picking up an NEX-6 are the recent price drops, slightly less pixel density (should be a tad bit more forgiving on glass) and using it as a dedicated MF rig. A Sony A7/R might be better suited for that task, but is more than I want to spend for just MF glass usage.

To be honest I'm getting really good results as long as I'm not dipping below 2.8 with the aperture of the lenses. I picked up a Roxsen adapter off Ebay and it comes with a Nikon G lens lever. The adapter can be had for under $100, though don't expect great results at the corners with fast glass.

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    A little bit more experiment with my new Mitakon Lens Turbo adapter. This time though it is my E-PL1's turn to shine the light with the Nikkor 10-24mm G f/3.5-4.5 DX!!

I'm stuck with shooting wide open which is a bummer. Both shot with the 10mm setting, which is equivalent to 14 or 15mm FOV for full frame and it's neat to have a really fast ultra-wide angle lens on my m43 camera. If I need a dedicated ultra-wide prime for my m43 kit, then the Nikon version of the Samyang 10mm f/2.8 APS-C full manual lens would be the answer!! It will have the aperture ring. So far, I'm quite happy with this affordable adapter.

P8194013. P8194030.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quick question, I did a search and I could only find a regular Mitakon adapter for Nikon F. The ver. II adapters were all for NEX? Did it specifically say it was a ver. II for the Nikon F M43 adapter?

10. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    The funny thing is that even though these focal reducers reduce by the same amount on APS-C cameras as M43, the M43 reducers lose a bit of that 'magic feeling' for me, because they're not restoring original focal length. I love the idea of a classic 50mm lens being, well 50mm (almost!), on a Sony NEX.

But on M43, the focal length reducer turns a 50mm into a short telephoto, which is not THAT different from a short-medium telephoto with a regular adapter. So I'm just not as tempted I guess to buy a reducer for M43. That being said, getting an extra stop of light is pretty nice.

Those are very nice images bikerhiker!

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the reason they can't go wider with the focal length is due to the glass element hitting the shutter mechanism.

12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The version II were all NEX, while the others do not have the designation II. The eBay seller did describe the adapter having the new improved lens coating for increased sharpness, but not very forthcoming whether it's a better version or not. So I am assuming that it is version 2. Also, the results I'm getting with this adapter so far had been fantastic, much better than the results I've seen from other websites from the same adapter. I was surprised it worked out well, but also relieved that I didn't get a lemon either!

13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Thank you madmaxmedia for the kind comments.

You're right. The focal reducer for m43 is not restoring the full frame focal length, but gives you close to an APS-C crop. The main reason I wanted the focal reducer was to give me inexpensive options on the ultra-wide angle fast zoom or fast prime and a semi-telephoto ultra-fast portrait lens. The Tilt-Shift 24mm lens was my last wish as well. The 50mm FF makes a great portrait lens for this and I was surprised it worked out really better than expected. No need to invest in the Voigtlander nor the Noticron to get f/1.0 and I get the Nikon Bokeh since I'm using a Nikon. There are so many inexpensive ultra-wide zooms; the Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 comes to mind which gives you about 14-35 f/2.8-4 FF FOV for not much money is a steal. To me, the adapter was worth getting, but maybe because I got lucky and got a good copy. :biggrin:

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've seen the comparisons and the Mitakon seem to be the better adapters of the cheaper variety. I might pick up another adapter down the road to use on my Nikon Series E collection. It'd be nice to have two adapted lenses on both my bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Sounds like a good plan!:2thumbs:

16. didge

didge New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2016
    Hi. I am looking at getting the new Nikon g adapter to mft turbo2. Any one given it a go and in particular with dx lenses. I have a Tokina 11-16 and am hoping it will do the trick on my em5.

Anyone had any experience with this?

17. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I have only tried my original version with both the Nikon 12-24mm DX and the newer Nikon 10-24 DX lenses. They both work well with it, though I prefer the 12-24 because it doesn't vignette at 12mm. With 10-24mm DX, it does vignette somewhat at 10mm setting. So you might be ok with just 11mm.

18. didge

didge New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks for that. This option has lots of potential benefits. I am looking at using it to give me a fast telephoto as well.