1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mitakon 25mm and baffles

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by manzoid, Sep 7, 2016.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with modifying the old Olympus cameras to work with the mitakon 25mm 0.95?

I think the rumor was a dremel would be used to grind some of the plastic baffles that prevent the lens from fitting.

Anyway I am contemplating trying it with my old epl2 that has a non working flash.

If I try it, I think it will be mounted on a tripod, sensor side down and I would come at it from underneath.

Any advice?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sounds messy... Any way to disassemble it?

Otherwise, a hot knife might work if it won't melt any electronics/wiring.

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    According to the sales page of it, only these Olympus are known to be unfit.
    Olympus E-PL6 E-PL5 E-PM2 EM5 (I)

EM5 (II) is fine to use

No clue if the E-PL2 is considered unfit.

Basically if the box is 'ladder like' then it won't work.

comparison.

4. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Yeah, it definitely has the ladder style baffles.

I have taken the front cover off before, and it didn't look simple to get the baffles off the sensor part.

Hot knife might be an idea. I have also thought about cutting a piece of tape to cover the sensor without touching it.

Too bad I am not really in the market for a new body...

5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The other thing to keep in mind outside of touching the sensor is that the sensor sits/floats in a sort of bracket for the image stabalization, something you want to avoid hitting if you're trying to cover the sensor for protection.

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Hmm, maybe put a piece of tape on the rear element of the lens and a tiny bit of paint (or even water, or alcohol) on the edge of the metal rear element housing and then try and mount it, so that you can see exactly where it is rubbing with the mount baffles so you don't need to do more modification than is absolutely necessary.

7. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Probably doing so with the camera facing down (Especially if testing with water), for gravity and what not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    Focus lens at nearest distance before trying to mount on unsupported camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I remember when the lens first came out, there was a pic of it mounted to an EM5 which caused some confusion. I did see a pic of the modified (ground down) baffles later, but at the time I wasn't considering it. I haven't been able to find it since. I had hoped someone hear might have experience with the modification, but I guess not.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.