Mistake purchasing E-PL2? Should have gotten GH2 instead?

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
I've been using the lens kit. I have a 20/1.7 on it's way--never used a prime b/f, so it should be interesting!

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just a couple of random shots...just got it yesterday. You make a good point, I guess I'm just wondering how I might also feel about the GH2, frustrated that I can't compare the two for myself I guess. I thought my decision was solid, but I keep reading more and more about how great the GH2 is , so just makes me wonder...

I have yet to see or feel or try a Pany camera however a previous post suggested that you take photos for a while and get used to the Oly......once you have got the feel of the camera you should know whether it was for you or not. Pany does not have IS ... unfortunately it is in all the lenses...however there may be features that it has that Oly does not have and only you can tell the difference.

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
That was the plan, but I'll post here the problem I encountered w/Adorama (I posted this on another site as well)

I've been trying to put the camera through its paces, BUT Adorama is really messing things up. Their return policy states 30 days. When I called to clarify what another poster wrote about shot count, they said 50 shots max. It does not stipulate this anywhere on their site--only says "mint" condition. Which is open to interpretation--mint could mean no scratches, dings, dust etc. Maybe other stores think under 100 or 200 shots is "mint" condition. Anyway, so now I'm at least close to that point and hesitate taking more pictures just in case I have to return the camera for whatever reason.

Red Leader

Mu-43 Rookie
I just got my E-PL2 today. It's sweet. It will probably outshoot me anytime I use it.

I've also heard that the GH2 is pretty good. Isn't also 2x the price?

It's bigger too so for me, the E-PL2 works out well due to the smaller size.

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
This was more or less said, but the biggest difference is the form factor. Both will take great photos.

If you want a view finder and a grip, which come in handy for steadying the camera, using longer lenses, and seeing in various conditions, then the GH2 is going to be more to your liking (or G2 or G1 or GH1 or G10) for that matter. I think if you want to compare something more apples to apples, you might consider a G2, similar sensor, video performance and price (if you decide that form is more to your liking). If you make the decision to switch form factor, then the question is do you want to spend a few hundred more to upgrade to the GH2 for better low light performance, faster focusing, and better video capability.

I personally much prefer the grip and view finder. I have a GH2 and GF1, but I personally wouldn't own just the GF1 as it's too small for longer lenses and I like the feel of the grip and stability it offers and like using the viewfinder 95% of the time (also adding stability and daytime visibility).

The nice thing about this system is that if you get one camera and lenses, it's pretty affordable to pick up another body, I got my GF1 for $250 to go with my GH2. I also still own my G1 which can be had for <$200 and I still love as well. It's 95% of what the newer models are for stills.

shoturtle

&nbsp;
To be honest the GH2 is a very good camera. But for still photos if you are not into RAW editing allot, the epl-2 has better OOC jpegs. The GH2 has better jpegs then the earlier panny's, but to get the results allot post about. It comes down to your editing skills with RAW files.

Both camera's has it's strengths and weakness. So I would stop reading reviews and just shoot your camera. It is a very very good camera.

Carol Stee

Mu-43 Regular
In my opinion the most important thing is to see photographically, to have a vision, and to know the capabilities and limitations of ones gear as long as ones gear is good enough for ones work.

Composing a good picture is an art, not dependent on the cost of the gear, but having the right equipment makes it easier to do so.

Currently, the GH2 is the best M4/3rds camera because it has the finest sensor and the brightest EVF. The GH1 has the next best sensor and all the other M4/3rds and 4/3rds cameras have the same tired 12mp sensor that's been out for years, including the newer models, the EP2, G2, GF2, EPL2, and the $1,700 body only Olympus E-5. Panasonic needs to upgrade the sensor in all its cameras and Olympus needs to wake up.

In addition, M4/3rds needs fast lenses, primes f/1.4 and zooms f/2.8 or less.

bebrox

Mu-43 Regular
Why compare?

I am puzzled, why compare the epl-2 with the gh2, these cameras are aimed at 2 x differnt photographers;

epl-2 = from a p&s background
gh2 = enthusiast/professional

These cameras are so different.

I just got my E-PL2 today. It's sweet. It will probably outshoot me anytime I use it.

I've also heard that the GH2 is pretty good. Isn't also 2x the price?

It's bigger too so for me, the E-PL2 works out well due to the smaller size.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
M4/3rds and 4/3rds cameras have the same tired 12mp sensor that's been out for years,

yes.
imagine how much better this photograph would have been with a proper 18MP full-frame sensor ...

44-Nude_London_1952.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

© Bill Brandt Archive Ltd
Bill Brandt Home Page

russell

Mu-43 Regular
heheh... original post reminds me of my wife-- the most remorseful buyer ever!

My rule of thumb is, if the decision is hard to make, then it probably doesn't matter either way! Toss a coin, make a commitment, forget the stress and enjoy your lot. (And what's not to enjoy about a nice new toy? I'm not there yet...)

OPSSam

Mu-43 Regular
My sentiment is (as well as my fellow casual photography buddies) the more I can avoid DPreview the more happier I am with this hobby.

This why I choose to dwell around forums like this one. Taking photos and living life seems like the shared goal around here.

With that said, are you willing to exchange form-factor and more cash for the GH2 bbq?

I second avoiding the DPreview site. Too much to say that does not belong in this thread, on that point. I prefer a positive environment where you can talk and ask questions with people that share your enthusiasm for THIS camera format.

But on buyers remorse, I bought an E-PL1 recently, and the two things I wish I could get are the new lens (which is much faster at focusing), and the cable release. Until I upgrade to whatever comes out in 6-12 months, I am happy with what I have. I always intended to purchase it to use with my older lenses anyway. Two adapters and suddenly my available lens count has gone from one to eight (and 3 of those are F2.8 or better).

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree with much that was said..... I wouldn't say avoid reading reviews but take them with a grain of salt. Often I'll just focus on handling segments and even go to the store and try them out in person. I want the camera to feel comfortable in hand. After I narrow it down to a couple cameras, then I'll look at samples and judge quality myself and make a choice. I might even go a review the rest of the review(s) but I don't use them as my single source... and I go in with an idea of what I'm looking for.

Also keep in mind, your expectations. Many of these cameras are more than capable of keeping 80%-90% of us happy... the rest are probably more demanding. The typical consumer likes to think they are the top 10% in this range but much of the extras they end up paying a premium for goes unused or never totally understood/leveraged.

If it makes you feel better, Samples... (from imaging-resource.com)

ISO 400 (which is where I shoot the most)
EPL2
Digital Cameras, Olympus PEN E-PL2 Digital Camera Test Image

GH2
Digital Cameras, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Digital Camera Test Image

My eyes focus on the cloth samples in the upper left hand corner. My eyes tell me that I too would have chosen the E-PL2 over the GH2. (I know the handling of the E-PL2 is probably similar to my E-PL1) Now someone else might look at the same set of samples and choose the GH2, fine.... its all personal choices and preferences. That's why reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, its from the perspective of a single individual.

I rarely have buyer's remorse... but loads of seller's remorse. Now stop reading reviews. Go out and have fun.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I have the EPL1 and the GH2. (Sorry, no EPL2 here...)
However, photographically speaking, I am extremely pleased with the results from both. For video, I far prefer the GH2, but the EPL1 is still even better than my stash of Canon Vixia HF20's (hidef 1080P video cams). The biggest drawback of the Oly in video is the 720P (which actually DOES look better than the 1080P of the Canons) and the maximum 7 minute roll time limitation of motion JPEG.

As for pictures, I see a MUCH bigger difference in image quality based on the glass strapped on the front than the body. Both produce amazing images that, IMHO, blow the doors off of all but the highest end, new kilo-buck full-frame DSLRs.

If pics are your bag, stick with the EPL2 and be happy!

Best wishes,
Jeremy
Jeremy,

One thing I'm curious about is how much faster/more precise the AF on the GH2 is? I keep reading that its near DSLR level of AF speed (at least in decent light - I don't know that contrast detect can ever compete with phase detect in dim light). To me, that's the main thing missing in m43 cameras up to this point and if that gap closes, it eliminates (or nearly eliminates) the one compelling remaining reason to consider a DSLR (or DSLT). Since you have BOTH, do you see a big difference here?

I'm particularly interested as it pertains to longer focal lengths. At the long end of my 14-150 or of my 45-200, I get a LOT of misses and it seems that's a common experience. Based on what I've read, people using these long focal lengths with the GH2 are getting much better results. My guess is that the faster AF lock eliminates a lot of situations where the long length causes the lens to wander just enough to make the lens lock onto something in the background rather than the intended target. If the GH2 is faster to lock, it not only results in faster AF, but also more precise AF and a much better ratio of hits to misses. So, if you have any longer lenses, what is your experience?

To me, this is one of the more compelling advances of the GH2 and I hope it migrates into the rest of the m43 lineup over the next year or so. I don't particularly want a GH2 style body, so I'm happy to wait for Oly to match that performance in an EP3 or later or Panasonic in a GF3 or later. I'm just wondering how much of a difference there actually is, and someone with an epl1 AND a GH2 is in a perfect position to tell!

Thanks for any insights,

-Ray

cucco

Mu-43 Regular
Jeremy,

One thing I'm curious about is how much faster/more precise the AF on the GH2 is? I keep reading that its near DSLR level of AF speed (at least in decent light - I don't know that contrast detect can ever compete with phase detect in dim light). To me, that's the main thing missing in m43 cameras up to this point and if that gap closes, it eliminates (or nearly eliminates) the one compelling remaining reason to consider a DSLR (or DSLT). Since you have BOTH, do you see a big difference here?

I'm particularly interested as it pertains to longer focal lengths. At the long end of my 14-150 or of my 45-200, I get a LOT of misses and it seems that's a common experience. Based on what I've read, people using these long focal lengths with the GH2 are getting much better results. My guess is that the faster AF lock eliminates a lot of situations where the long length causes the lens to wander just enough to make the lens lock onto something in the background rather than the intended target. If the GH2 is faster to lock, it not only results in faster AF, but also more precise AF and a much better ratio of hits to misses. So, if you have any longer lenses, what is your experience?

To me, this is one of the more compelling advances of the GH2 and I hope it migrates into the rest of the m43 lineup over the next year or so. I don't particularly want a GH2 style body, so I'm happy to wait for Oly to match that performance in an EP3 or later or Panasonic in a GF3 or later. I'm just wondering how much of a difference there actually is, and someone with an epl1 AND a GH2 is in a perfect position to tell!

Thanks for any insights,

-Ray

I wish I could tell you. (And I plan to be able to).
Most of the shots that I've composed with this camera have been far from candid. With a posed shot, I've not been too worried about the auto-focus. I do know that in low light, I have noticed that it's been slower than my DSLRs. However, I don't have any complaints in good lighting yet. I'll try to take some shots of quasi-action indoors today and let you know.

I've come to accept that the biggest (and so far, only) weakness of the m4/3s system is the focusing. Though, compared to a P&S, it's obviously leaps and bounds ahead.

Cheers-
J

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I wish I could tell you. (And I plan to be able to).
Most of the shots that I've composed with this camera have been far from candid. With a posed shot, I've not been too worried about the auto-focus. I do know that in low light, I have noticed that it's been slower than my DSLRs. However, I don't have any complaints in good lighting yet. I'll try to take some shots of quasi-action indoors today and let you know.

I've come to accept that the biggest (and so far, only) weakness of the m4/3s system is the focusing. Though, compared to a P&S, it's obviously leaps and bounds ahead.

Cheers-
J

Thanks! I'm actually more interested in shooting moving subjects in good light than in bad. I've read and fully believe that the GH2 isn't that different than the other m43 cams in low light (as one would expect for a contrast detect system working in low-contrast conditions). I'm more curious about how much better it is or isn't in good light, where I'd expect there could be more difference (and where I tend to use a telephoto more). At some point in the next couple of years I expect to have to decide on whether to stick with m43 for long lenses or move to something more like a DSLR (or DSLT or some new hybrid that doesn't exist yet). Since telephoto shooting is a decidedly minor part of what I do, I'd rather stick with the system I have and otherwise like if the AF even gets close for those situations when I tend to use it. From the sound of things, it may be getting there with the GH2 and hopefully will get even better in future iterations. I just haven't seen much in the way of direct comparisons. So, any light you can shed would be most welcome...

-Ray

cucco

Mu-43 Regular
Sure.
I'll try to shoot some fast moving subjects in good light.
Shouldn't be too hard - I have a 5 year old and it's 65 degrees outside!

Cheers-
J

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
Thanks! I'm actually more interested in shooting moving subjects in good light than in bad. I've read and fully believe that the GH2 isn't that different than the other m43 cams in low light (as one would expect for a contrast detect system working in low-contrast conditions). I'm more curious about how much better it is or isn't in good light, where I'd expect there could be more difference (and where I tend to use a telephoto more). At some point in the next couple of years I expect to have to decide on whether to stick with m43 for long lenses or move to something more like a DSLR (or DSLT or some new hybrid that doesn't exist yet). Since telephoto shooting is a decidedly minor part of what I do, I'd rather stick with the system I have and otherwise like if the AF even gets close for those situations when I tend to use it. From the sound of things, it may be getting there with the GH2 and hopefully will get even better in future iterations. I just haven't seen much in the way of direct comparisons. So, any light you can shed would be most welcome...

-Ray

I've had very good luck with it in high and medium-low light. I snapped some birds in flight on my vacation with very little warning and a large number of them nailed the focus in the split second I had. Most shots were in focus if I was able to target the bird properly from the rocking boat :)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5307268493/" title="P1020183.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 156995 "500" height="375" alt="P1020183.jpg" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5307248695/" title="P1020053.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 156996 "500" height="281" alt="P1020053.jpg" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5307839494/" title="P1020050.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 156997 "500" height="375" alt="P1020050.jpg" /></a>

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
I also followed these surfers through the EVF at 140mm until they did something cool or wiped out and didn't have the focus locked, I just hit the trigger when I saw something and snapped, and the focus and shutter were virtually simultaneous. It was definitely a new experience over my G1 and it was pretty fun. I only wish the lighting wasn't so bad when I was there :)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5307766657/" title="P1020881.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 156998 "500" height="375" alt="P1020881.jpg" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5307763737/" title="P1020874.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 156999 "500" height="375" alt="P1020874.jpg" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5308350298/" title="P1020869.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 157000 "375" height="500" alt="P1020869.jpg" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5308349972/" title="P1020866.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 157001 "500" height="375" alt="P1020866.jpg" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5308348816/" title="P1020863.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr"> View attachment 157002 "500" height="375" alt="P1020863.jpg" /></a>

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just bought a 35mm lens, and I went through so many contortions trying to figure out which one to get and comparing various lenses that I very nearly drove myself crazy.

I'm normally an intuitive shopper, but the lens I really wanted (35mm Leica Summilux ASPH f/1.4 that's 6-bit coded) isn't one I can afford at the moment (it runs five grand). On my M8, this lens is pretty close to the stock 50mm.

I'm not normally a pixel peeper, so I kept trying to look at people's photos and figure out what mattered to me.

Finally settled on an old Summicron.

Latest threads

Top Bottom