Mistake purchasing E-PL2? Should have gotten GH2 instead?

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
I just purchased an E-PL2. Yes, I did my due diligence and researched and decided this was the way to go. It came down to this camera and the GH2. I would be taking primarily stills (and some video) of my kids/family. I heard that for stills GH2 is ehh (very technical term) which is why I went w/the PL2. BUT, now I keep reading posts about what a great camera GH2 is (and superior to the EPL2) and so...I'm having second thoughts. Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on a GH2 to compare the two cameras.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the matter...possibly tried out both cameras. (I know, Pl2 is new)

Is there anyone who hasn't liked the GH2?

Thanks!

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Have you taken any photographs with your E-PL2 ?
If not, take some, and see if you are satisfied with it, the way it handles and the quality of the photographs it produces.
All the reviews and other people's comments aren't worth anything above how you feel about it ...

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
Just a couple of random shots...just got it yesterday. You make a good point, I guess I'm just wondering how I might also feel about the GH2, frustrated that I can't compare the two for myself I guess. I thought my decision was solid, but I keep reading more and more about how great the GH2 is , so just makes me wonder...

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
bbq, pdh is so right. Here's my advice - don't read anymore reviews. I'm actually not kidding. All of these cameras are very good and each has its differences that can be considered very important or not at all important by different people.

The Olympus cameras are very well made and offer all sorts of pluses, and the same goes for Panasonic. One also has to remember that they are companies who are interested in selling their wares - they have to keep creating new cameras to sell.

The size and form of the E-PL2 and the GH2 are very different. That would be the first thing to consider.

Depending upon where you bought your camera and what the returns policies are, you can always change your mind but if you haven't actually used the camera and made yourself familiar with how it works and handles, you really should because then you can decide yourself if you actually like the camera.

Not trying to shut your thread down here, either.

Why did you choose the camera you did and what makes you think you'd like the GH2 better?

pdh is so right - camera choices, likes and dislikes are very personal. One person's "have to have" makes another person yawn... Me, I like small and light, but I also ideally like a superb electronic viewfinder....which Olympus does offer - the EVF. Some people need and want a camera that feels more like a single lens reflex...or a DSLR.... Some people swear by RAW and others love to have the choice of great out of the camera jpegs and RAW... Others need multiple lenses, while some of us seem to be happiest with one fixed lens... And so it goes.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you ask me about the camera I own, I'll tell you how great it is ... it's not a GH2 (or an E-PL2) though ... give the camera a chance and don't let "buyer's remorse" ruin it for you!

EDIT: Plus, what BBW said too!

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Every camera brand has it's fans and detractors. Each camera has it's strengths and weaknesses. For me, I like having IBIS as it makes the use of legacy lenses MUCH simpler so the Panasonic isn't as interesting to me...that said, Panasonic makes nice gear. In the end I think you will find you skill as a photographer will make more of a difference than any factors in the hardware.

I remember taking a class form Art Wolfe years ago and he was asked why he switched from Nikon to Canon gear (I guess we were expecting him to tell us how great Canon gear was). It turns out his Nikon gear was stolen after a shoot and Canon gave him a bunch of gear.

Enjoy the EPL2.

kevin

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
You Are Fortunate to Have the Latest Oly m 4/3

BBQ797 - I agree with every one's comments above; another way to look at it is you are the proud owner of Oly's latest iteration of their excellent :43: family, and it addresses many of the shortcomings of the prior cameras (okay, maybe it doesn't have the same cool retro design as my E-P1, but hey, that's very subjective and personal!) :smile:

Kidding aside, on another thread someone made the point that specs and reviews matter MAYBE only if you are a camera collector; if you are a photographer and image maker, none of that background noise should matter. Have fun and make take great photos with your E-PL2.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I have a rule, once I buy something I stop reading reviews as they only tend to drive me crazy.

I have another problem. I actually WRITE reviews... And playing with all those nice toys and comparing them to my own gear does me no good.

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have neither of these cameras, but I do own and love to use the E-P1 and E-PL1, whose sensor is the same as the sensor of the E-PL2. I have studied many raw files of the GH2, though. In my opinion the most important thing is to see photographically, to have a vision, and to know the capabilities and limitations of ones gear as long as ones gear is good enough for ones work. Unless only the GH2 has some features you really need, this is much more relevant than the differences between the GH2 and E-PL2. Both are very capable cameras.

cucco

Mu-43 Regular
I have the EPL1 and the GH2. (Sorry, no EPL2 here...)
However, photographically speaking, I am extremely pleased with the results from both. For video, I far prefer the GH2, but the EPL1 is still even better than my stash of Canon Vixia HF20's (hidef 1080P video cams). The biggest drawback of the Oly in video is the 720P (which actually DOES look better than the 1080P of the Canons) and the maximum 7 minute roll time limitation of motion JPEG.

As for pictures, I see a MUCH bigger difference in image quality based on the glass strapped on the front than the body. Both produce amazing images that, IMHO, blow the doors off of all but the highest end, new kilo-buck full-frame DSLRs.

If pics are your bag, stick with the EPL2 and be happy!

Best wishes,
Jeremy

NZUnicorn

New to Mu-43
Neither of those two cameras is perfect - every camera is a compromise, even those costing a whole lot more.

Sometimes the EPL2 will be better, sometimes the GH2 will be better. Regardless of which of those two cameras you own, you can be unhappy that you do not have the best option at times, or you can be happy that you have an excellent camera and it is sometimes the best option around. Your choice.

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My sentiment is (as well as my fellow casual photography buddies) the more I can avoid DPreview the more happier I am with this hobby.

This why I choose to dwell around forums like this one. Taking photos and living life seems like the shared goal around here.

With that said, are you willing to exchange form-factor and more cash for the GH2 bbq?

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
Good point; I find this forum to be much more encouraging as well. The only reason why I have doubts is that the camera is primarily to be used for pics of my kids. I tried firing off a few and they don't look so sharp (it might just be me--camera was in IA mode), the eye detect doesn't seem to work (I suspected that might be a gimmick anyway) and not so sure about the focus tracking. I have to play around w/it a bit more to be sure.

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
Good idea--just posted one to ask about the eye detect, but action shots might have been better (might still do that one)

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good point; I find this forum to be much more encouraging as well. The only reason why I have doubts is that the camera is primarily to be used for pics of my kids. I tried firing off a few and they don't look so sharp (it might just be me--camera was in IA mode), the eye detect doesn't seem to work (I suspected that might be a gimmick anyway) and not so sure about the focus tracking. I have to play around w/it a bit more to be sure.

Not sure if you mentioned what lens you are using, but for shooting never still kids I'd pick the 20/1.7 and any of the various :43: cameras over the GH2 or E-PL2 with their respective kit lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom