1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mission Bay

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Chrisnmn, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    This week i got my P12-35. And whatever the reviews say, this lens is TOP quality for me its definitely worth $1K. The zoom and focus ring run like creamy butter, and that was key for a shot ive been waiting months to do.

i woke up 5am pitch dark this morning to do the first shot. And after i got it, did some other ones, including some with my P100-300. Sunrise was at 6:08 more or less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now a couple more with the P100-300

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope you guys like it.

• Like Like x 19
  2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Wow! Awesome shots. Were these really long exposures?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thanks man, yes this were all 1 or more minutes actually the first one was almost 10min including the dark frame.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Very cool. I picked up a Hoya 400-X filter today for my 12-35. 9 stops plus a polarizer or grad ought to get me a decent amount of exposure time.
    :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Ohh that's for sure. I actually stacked a 1.2 + 0.9 + 0.6 ND filters altogether to do this shots even at 5am in the morning! Have fun and post some shots would love to see

• Like Like x 1
  6. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Nice! Looking forward to taking my new 12-35 out tomorrow. A 58mm Fader-ND is my next purchase… after I pay off the 12-35!

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A lens like this is definitely worth the cost for someone like you who can get the most from it.These are great shots, I really like the second. I also respect your willingness to get up so early in order to get a particular shot.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    I love these images - they are so "still" if that makes sense? Especially the first one, it's like taking a breath in the morning before starting the day.

• Like Like x 2
  9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Will do. I'm going to get up early sometime next week and try doing long exposures. I picked up a wide angle cokin p holder that should allow me to run a 2 stop grad over the 9 stop hoya. Thanks for sharing the details, that helps me get an idea of how I can create glassy water like that!

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Ha you tell me! my wallet is still crying after the P12-35 but honestly this lens is (for my eyes) better (sharper and faster to focus WAY better built) than my P14-P20 combined....heck even maybe as sharp(er) than my O45. I need to get a ND filter holder for this lens though cause the ND filters im using are circular screw-in ones and create and very awful vignette at 12mm!.

Thanks for your words Bob. Im trying to have fun and get the most out of that P12-35 even though i just got it. More to come for sure. after all this what photography is all about right? getting out there to get "that" shot right?.

Hey @Melonbread yes you make sense, thats exactly the type of ambient/mood i wanted to achieve! Im glad you notice it!. thank you!.

Yeah i need to get one of those i have screw in circular ND filters that i got left from my FF gear and im using it with a step up ring, everything works fine past 25mm, but if I want to use it at 12mm i get an awful vigenette because of so many filters I had to screw in....anyway!...go try it for yourself....but most of all enjoy the landscape, not just taking the photo.!

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Excellent work Chris.