Missing viewfinder accuracy to resulting image

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
Shouldn't it be possible to see the image in the viewfinder exactly like the image taken when shooting?

When I change exposure time and aperture - the live image does not change. Or is there an option for this I overlooked?

At least the preview button on the front of the camera does move the Iris to the aperture set for the shooting and the image in EVF changes a bit, but it is still far from the shot image because it does not consider aperture time. Can the camera not at least simulate the resulting image using the set aperture time? Or simulate both, so the preview button does not have to be pressed all the time.

I am currently using the Olympus Pen-F.

Greetings,
Tom

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Because it changes when the exposure is changed. Rotate the Exposure Compensation button.
Also check Live View Boost settings.

Thomahawk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
Wow, you guys are quick!

Thank you so much. This works. I really feared there is no such thing :rolleyes:
I could not even search for it, not knowing how such a feature would be called or described in a manner that does not list only all kinds of other results...

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wow, you guys are quick!

Thank you so much. This works. I really feared there is no such thing :rolleyes:
I could not even search for it, not knowing how such a feature would be called or described in a manner that does not list only all kinds of other results...
There are times when you want live view boost, and times when you don't.

If you are shooting in dark situations either using a flash or using a tripod for a long exposure, you want live view boost on so that you can frame your shot. If you are not using a flash or long exposure, generally you want to turn it off, so the viewfinder tracks the exposure.

Note, IMHO, OLED viewfinders like used in the Pen-F, E-m10 mark II/III/IV, and E-m5 mark III do tend to saturate the image somewhat compared to what is recorded. If you like that saturation, you will likely need to adjust levels somewhat in post processing. I mentally de-saturate the image a little when I'm using an OLED viewfinder so I know what the image being recorded will be like.

On the other hand, one of my hot button issues is the non-OLED Olympus viewfinders (E-m10 mark I, E-m1 mark I/II/III, E-m5 mark I/II, and E-m1x) have issues (image is distorted or opaque) if you wear polarized sunglasses (like I need to do). So given a choice, I will choose the OLED viewfinder with the somewhat saturated colors over the TFT LCD viewfinder that has problems when I wear polarized sunglasses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom