Missing photos, help please!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by angusr, May 21, 2012.

1. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi. Any help gratefully received.

I tried to load this weekend's photos from my GF3 into lightroom, but only one file was visible (raw). I have a number of older JPEGs and movies which are visible. I was able to see all the photos in camera last night but I cannot see them on computer or camera now.

This is, in itself, not a disaster although I would like to have the photos since there were some nice images of my daughter. I have removed the card and locked it and am currently running Photorec to see if it can find the images.

More important to me is to prevent it happening again, so what is the most likely cause?

- I rotated the pics in camera yesterday, not something I usually do, though I have done it before without any problems. Could this affect the files?

- The camera has recently had the LCD replaced under warranty; it appears to function fine but maybe some connection is dodgy?

- Is it just a problem with the card (Sandisk extreme III 8GB)? I've stuck another card in which appears to work fine, but then so did the last one for a bit.

- The lens is also new (Oly 45mm), which I cannot imagine would affect things, but with modern software, who knows!?

Any other options for either recovery or diagnosis?

Many thanks in advance,

Angus

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    How are you reading the card? External card reader? Direct USB cable from camera?

I can't imagine LCD replacement itself has anything to do with it, nor the lens used. Culprit in these cases tends to be the memory card. I tend to shoot, transfer, then format the card after each use. Only time I delete on-card (if I can help it) is when i'm on vacation and am running short on space.

3. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks

I'm reading via a card reader (I tried 2, same result). Fortunately I have now successfully recovered the majority of the files (see attached image). Do you reckon I should reformat the card and continue to use it, or that it should just go in the bin?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Glad you got some pictures recovered.

Is there any chance that you Sandisk is a fake? Do you remember where you got it?

There seem to be a lot of fakes around. Now I'll only get cards direct from retailers I know and trust - I'm in the UK so for me that's Amazon direct (not resellers via Amazon unless I know them), mymemory and maybe a couple of others. Certainly not any auction sites.

Cards from the big high street stores should be OK too but they charge stupid high prices so I don't bother.

I'm know there's some software that will test a memory card to see if it actually has the full amount of memory (and isn't a fake that just reports a higher amount). I can't remember what it's called right now and I have to go out but it's worth googling.

There's a chance that it's just a bad card also.

5. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    I got it in a Jessops store - they had a half price promo about a year ago. I am aware of the fakes so do try to avoid them. Some of the images failed to load into lightroom (unexpected end of file error) and the file was only 3MB rather than 12MB for the others so something dodgy was going on. Might just bin the card rather than risk it again.

Cheers

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    You could reformat the card in the camera (when you're sure you can't get anything else of it) and run off some test shots perhaps? But for the cost of a card now vs the cost of losing important photos I'd be inclined to leave it as an "only if you have to" option :) Of course if the card turns out to be faulty then you should be able to get it replaced. Don't Sandisk have 5 years? I've had a Panasonic card fail before so it's not just the "cheapies" that go pop.

I'm no expert but if I'm taking important pictures I would always start with a freshly camera formatted card and not do any kind of editing/manipulation/rotating on the camera. But I'm a bit paranoid sometimes.