Missing EXIF data in Lightroom3.2 exports

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Alf, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I updated recently and wanted to give an information about a quirk.
    I found that if you export to Jpeg using the option to limit the dimension of the output file, the result is a Jpeg completely devoid of EXIF.

If you specify resizing and jpeg quality, EXIF data is retained.

2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Strange. Are you sure you don't have the "Minimize embedded metadata" ticked?

Because in the 3.0 version I have the EXIF data still in the JPGs, no matter what the sizeā€¦

3. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Yes, the "minimized embedded metadata" is unticked.
    In 3.0 the behaviour was as expected.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Have you sync'd your catalog?
    I have not noticed this but will check this afternoon.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Alf, I haven't found this to be so - however I did not upgrade to Lightroom but rather just started using it recently and am using 3.2 right now. I have used the publish method to Flickr. I've also tried the old way of using the Flickr uploader (for Mac) and found that worked fine, too.

My only complaint it that I wish the EXIF did not include keywords when publishing... I tried limiting the metadata but I think it might limit it too much, I'll need to recheck that to be sure.

6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    After some more experiments I could reproduce this behaviour. It happens only when I export asking to keep file size under an amount - the resulting jpeg is stripped of EXIF.
    If I specify a quality percentage and/or a resize the exif is retained.

Found this when exporting to dpreview, but this happens also when exporting to jpeg on my hard disk.

• Like Like x 2