Miss my Panasonic G2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been a camera trader ever since I started with m43 in 2010. I've had a number of bodies and each of them has had great qualities and some less than great qualities as well. Prior to coming to m43 I used a Canon 10D, Olympus E500/E520 and a NIkon D40. I've had and used (in chronological order)...

E-PL1 (with VF2)
    E-PL2
    E-P1
    G2
    GF2 (with and without LVF1)
    E-P1 (a second time)
    E-PM1 (with VF2)

When I look back at all the photos I've shot with these cameras a few things jump out at me. The IQ is so remarkably similar that I'd have a tough time telling them apart without looking at the file info in Lightroom.

Next, I have found after much experimentation that I prefer having using an EVF but it can get to be very tiring on the eyes. If I could I'd rather have a nice OVF (like a Leica M or Bessa RF). To be honest my favorite camera combination was my Olympus E520 with 14-54 lens but the absolutely terrible VF on that camera was what made me sell it. I also find that I like Olympus colors but to me its not any great mystical experience. They produce nice warm pleasing colors. You can do the same in Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture or what-have-you. I even found that you could tweak the Panasonic colors to get pretty close. I like IBIS but it wouldn't make me buy one camera over another (just like a nice stereo in a car is a cool perk but hardly the reason to buy one). I survived years without it on my film cameras so I can manage without it now.

In the end I find the biggest differences are controls and how well they handle. This is the biggest differences between the cameras (to me). Of all the cameras I have had the one I regret selling is the G2. Far and away the best handling camera of the bunch and if I had it to do over again I would not have sold it. It is an outstanding body, it's IQ is similar to all the others, has a great EVF (better than the VF2 IMHO) and the articulating LCD makes for a very versatile creative tool. It also is a MUCH better body for using legacy glass with because it is stable and easy to hold. Don't care that it has no IBIS, don't care that the Panasonic color is not as pleasing as the Olympus, don't care that it's sensor is considered to be inferior. It's the best m43 camera I have had...without a doubt.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Is this a WTB? :biggrin:

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That's my take! Couldn't have chosen a better m4/3 body, especially as it was $300 and I didn't have to buy a viewfinder. The GH2 is the only real upgrade choice for me (or the new E-M5, but I'd prefer the GH2's sensor over having IBIS), but even at it's lowest price, it was still over twice what I paid for my camera.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No, but I did notice minutes after I posted this a G2 went up in the For Sale area. Funny how that happens.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree. I would like to have a GH2 as well but the G2 is definitely a much better bang for the buck. It's also a heck of a cool camera. Amazingly versatile and I think really under appreciated.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I agree that the G2 is a terrific camera. Heck, I even loved the G1. But just bide your time. Remember that GH1 bodies eventually dropped to either $299 or $399. I'll bet the GH2 gets close after its replacement hits the store shelves and Internet inventories

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've had that happen too. Like my Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 for instance... I was just saying something about it in a thread, then when I clicked on New Posts a For Sale ad came up with one... so I bought it. :biggrin:
    konica_hexanon_50mm_1,4_web.

For your body though, I'm sure there are a lot of good alternatives to the G2 as well. I know the GH2 is more expensive, but I think it's a worthwhile upgrade. Since you liked the E-520 with the Olympus colors and IBIS and prefer an optical viewfinder but hated the tunnel-vision viewfinder of the E-520 (which I agree is the case with most pentamirror finders), the E-5 is a massive upgrade from that camera. Wonderful large, clear pentaprism viewfinder, excellent image quality, fantastic build, and much better control dials. But of course it's quite large and heavy as well (compared to Micro Four-Thirds, not other DSLRs). :) But for $1600 you couldn't find another camera like that in the DSLR world.

But yeah, for a really economical package the G1 and G2 are both pretty hard to beat...

8. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    OP nailed it, I fully agree.

I have both the G2 and the GH2. I fully intended to sell the G2 after getting the GH2 but I couldn't pull the trigger. The G2 is just a really comfortable camera to use.

Maybe it's the rubbery grip, or maybe it's the simpler interface. Whatever it is, the G2 is really easy to handle, and easy to take great photos.

9. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    The G cameras get no love. I too have been a camera speculator, mostly for fun to try new bodies. I bought a G1 kit last year and sold the lenses for the price of the kit so I could play with it. I thought it was remarkably well designed and easy to use. I ended up selling it for around $150, what a bargain for a great camera. It's one I should have left sitting around for "just in case."

I have a GF1 sitting next to me I acquired the same way but I decided to keep it instead of the G1 for the smaller size. Maybe that's why the G1/G2 are the redheaded stepchildren of Micro-4/3.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The E-5 is a great camera but I really like the smaller lighter m43 stuff. Turns out I missed out on the G2 :frown:...so I'll keep en eye out for one (or perhaps a EOL GH2 when that eventually happens).

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Just noticed the following thread about some low price eBay GH2's (grey market I assume).

Given the protection your get when buying with PayPal (and the fact that consumer electronics are some of the most reliable things you can buy) I am finding that a pretty tempting idea.

Hmmm :rolleyes:

12. I like my 1st mu43 body (GF-1). Love the G2. EVF, ergonomics & manual controls. Would consider retiring the G2 when if ever pany decides to build a similar camera with upgraded sensor. Bit bummed I didn't pick up a 2nd G2 while B&H had them stocked at the $299 price.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, the problem with the E-5 is that it's as expensive or more compared to the APS-sized cameras, and it's the size and weight of a 5D Mk II (which is $2,200 body-only or $3,000 with 24-105mm L lens). There's a reason that development is all but dead for classic 4/3.

To date I really only have two complaints about the G2:
    -The frame selector switch is close to the on/off switch and feels exactly the same. This has led to countless times of hitting one switch instead of the other.
    -The lens release button is easy for me to hit with my left hand, when using some lenses on the camera. This is as much me fatfingering as anything else, but every time I brush that button, it shuts the camera function down.

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree. As much as I like the high end Olympus DLSRs I wouldn't go in that direction right now. I think m43 is a better option. I also like to use adapted lenses (one of the reasons I came to m43 in the first place). I think a G2 would suit me fine right now...although I have been thinking about a GH1 or GH2 (if the price was attractive enough). I have a project coming up with a fair amount of video and the extra video capabilities of the GH2 might be worth a little expenditure. Of course I'd probably clear out my E-P1 and E-PM1 to help pay for it but I could live with that.

15. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    Nice to see the G2 getting some love, it's has been one of my favorites.
    I've shot Nikon D70, D80, D200 and D300 but in terms of shear enjoyment the G2 is their equal. To my eye the image quality is equivalent. Any issues I've had has been with the operator.

16. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I'm with OP on this one. I've had couple Olympus bodies (still stuck with one), and the G2 is by far my favorite. I am planning on upgrading to a GH2 sometime this year, but plan on keeping the G2 (unlike the Olympus).

17. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    My first camera was the EP2 (with VF2). I recently bought a G2 (cause it was cheap at B&H and I thought it would be fun) and I have not picked up the EP2 since.

I only shoot RAW, so the Oly colors are not something I miss. I think the G2 auto white balance may be inferior, but the ability to easily zoom in for critical focus with and get back out by hitting the shutter release is great compared to the EP2. (I wonder what the OM-5h or whatever its called handles this.)

My problem with the EP2/VF2 combo is mostly this: I hate taking the VF2 on and off. I always use the VF2, so I mostly keep it on, but once I get in the car I have to remove it for fear it might get damaged. I find I always have to carry a camera bag and that's a pain. The G2 is one solid package and it's far easier to take around. The size of it is great too (I think it's a little bigger than the GH2).

My only issue with the G2 is that I think the viewfinder doesn't always offer a full "live view" preview. As I understand it, the EP2 does. The G2 requires you deal with a DOF/Shutter preview button. I really don't understand what I'm saying here, but I think the photo you get and the image you see in the viewfinder can diverge in the G2. I think they always match up perfectly in the EP2.

So in short -- I haven't picked up the EP2/VF2 since I got the G2. It's not a romantic looking camera, but it sure is solid and functional. I am thinking about the new Oly, but I'm curious how it handles zoom to focus for manual lenses.

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I no longer miss my G2 as I just picked one up a newish one for a very good price :biggrin:. Now, what do I sell to help fund the purchase and pay off that credit card?

I thought for a while I might go for a GH2 but when all is said and one this one will still costs me half of what the cheapest GH2 body would have and despite the obvious advantages of the GH2 the G2 will serve my purposes quite nicely. Besides the GH2 has got to be due for a refresh at some point and at that point I may see what an EOL GH2 is going for.

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Welcome back to the G2 Fanclub dixeyk.

I love my G2 and shoot the heck out of it. Plus it's blue. People see it and go "OMG your camera is blue? thats cool!" and I go "that's right mofos".

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/6142383540/" title="Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm/1.4 by V-F-Tsai (Spatulaboy), on Flickr"> 6142383540_26f4b73d67_z. "640" height="427" alt="Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm/1.4"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/6957266651/" title="Minolta MD 50mm 1.4 by V-F-Tsai (Spatulaboy), on Flickr"> 6957266651_cc59f07ac4_z. "418" height="640" alt="Minolta MD 50mm 1.4"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    If anybody is interested B&H has a used G2 for $199.00 as of 15 minutes ago. It was rated an 8 or 8.5