Miss information.........does it bother you or do you just ignore it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phocal, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    So, in the Olympus OM-D Worldwide Shooters group on FaceBook I got into a short back and forth with this guy before I gave up. Is it just me or do others feel the need to correct people who are putting out bad information? I guess what really got me was people asking him questions and him going on and telling them how to set up their cameras like his and saying that he is an expert on Olympus cameras and if they have any question to just ask. Or is it just a character flaw that I have?

If you are wondering there were actually two bits of misinformation. The first dealing with micro focus adjust and the second with entering the focal length manually for the IBIS.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been somewhat of a know-it-all my whole life. So, yeah, I tend to argue with people that are misinformed. As I've aged, I have had to learn when to bite my tongue so I don't appear like too much of a jerk. But on web forums and the like, I think it is important to correct because people use it as a reference. I don't want someone in 3 years to find an obvious bad post and use it as gospel, so I will usually put my 2 cents in. That said, once you have said your piece, turning it into a debate is rarely worth the effort.

• Agree Agree x 11
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Its actually 'misinformation' not 'Miss information' :)

Yeah I will always try and correct things I know not to be true... I also have a tendency to rail against people making assertions that I don't believe to be universally true.. e.g. that everybody needs an UWA lens to shoot in European cities, that 'IQ' is a actual thing, that noise actually matters, or indeed indeed that gear is actually that important

K

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Yes I know, did that to try and keep the post light hearted and it's a standing joke between me and my daughter.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Nothing to say, I just wanted to get the last word in. "Word".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    You could spend your entire life arguing with people on sites like Facebook, Twitter or Reddit. It's so easy to find credible sources of information, if someone can't be bothered to do that, you're probably wasting your time trying to help.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, the sport can be fun - but it's hard to convince people who are ignorant and/or hold firmly held beliefs (especially when the beliefs are based on ignorance).

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DriftlessRider

DriftlessRider Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2016
    Fountain City, WI
    Ed
    The misinformation can get repeated, and it bounces around in this echo chamber, and it ends up being taken as truth because folks have heard it from multiple sources. Even though it probably originated from one source.

I've found guys I've grown to trust a lot repeat stuff that is obviously (to me anyways) just not plausible. It's disorienting, and in the end I've learned to take everything with a big old grain of salt. So, instead of working too hard to correct the misinformation, I try to remind other readers to be skeptical of most of what they read. It too often is worth what they paid for it, nothing.

I don't argue with someone who is wrong and thinks they are right, there is no point to it. Firmly help opinions are never change by an interweb post :)

9. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    the phrase, "oh no! someone is wrong on the internet" comes to mind. You can't correct everyone and sometimes (most times) it's not worth the trouble.

For outright wrong information, I will try to correct it. Once.

For those exceedingly rare times that I say something slightly not totally 100% correct, I hope someone will note my inaccuracy and offer a helpful rebuttal. (edit: this was supposed to be funny.)

seriously though, I try not to take things too seriously, offer help when I can and shut up when I'm not sure. I will take corrections happily and admit when I'm wrong.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    If I notice a serious error I'll note it once.

11. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I admit to being a bit pedantic in nature and have, on occasion, corrected misinformation I see. I try not to get into a back-and-forth, though. That way lies madness - or at least raised blood pressure. It is worth it to correct honest mistakes for the sake of others who might try to use the information. It is not worth it (IMHO) to get upset or confrontational about it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I have no particular objection to Facebook, (hey come Friend me!), but it is the last place I would look for information that's not e.g. opening hours of a bar or such.

13. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Miss Information... I'm sure I used to go out with her...

14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Really? Me too, though back then her name was Miss Knowitall.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    *Insert all equivalency threads here.*

Seriously, there's so much back and forth on what's right/wrong in those threads that it's ridiculous. At first I found it hilarious, but then it just became annoying with how often it pops up. Just take good pics with what you're shooting with people.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'm sure there's a few of us here that dated her. But seriously, I think many of us just hate seeing BS being spread around when we know the truth...or at least our truth. And we hate what it does to misinform those trying to figure what's going on with these cameras. It's hard enough for new folks to do this without the BS. It's a knee jerk reaction to want to correct it...not some primal "correct gene" lashing out.

17. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    You didn't tell us what your "correction" was or his misinformation, so for all we know, you really are full of it and are the one without a clue. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    I'll try and correct it and keep it civil but if it looks like it's going to get into an online argument I generally won't waste my time.

Repeat and persistent offenders I'll usually end up blocking. Not because they've upset me, but because it's just not worth my time getting involved in this discussion.

One of the things I love about photography is knowledge sharing (both ways. I don't claim to know everything and I still have alot to learn. But I like to think I have knowledge that others find useful too).

If someone isn't interested in knowledge sharing both ways than so be it, there's plenty of other people who are.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I'm jealous, all I had was one really bad night with a big Miss Take! :hide:

--Ken

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

In my Mac tech support work I found that people who think they know more than they actually do to be the most difficult to work with. People who want to learn are the most fun to work with. My technique for making a major change in an organization was to find the people who want to learn and give them the new stuff first. They enthusiastically try out the new features and find the little adjustments that need to be made to get things working smoothly. After I get that feedback, I roll it out to everyone else. By that time everyone else is starting to feel left out, which is better than feeling like a change is being forced on them.

As far as the bigger picture goes, some businesses I go into I find things to be just a little bit kinked or not quite right from top to bottom. At some point, I realize that things aren’t the way I think they should be on purpose. They are exactly the way the people running the company want them to be. Sometimes I see that in forums as well: just the general normal behavior is not to my taste. In both cases I usually don’t stay long. In a business I will try to find one person at the company who I can talk to about this and verify that no change is wanted. In a forum, there are the moderators to appeal to, but I don’t often do that. I just assume that the general tone of conversation in a forum is what the moderators want it to be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1