Mirrorlesscomparison.com: Fujifilm X-T4 vs Olympus OM-D E-M1 III – IBIS Comparison

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
This subject has piqued my interest as Fuji surprised me with their ability to fit the IBIS of APS-C sensor to a smaller camera. And I think this is the first comparison of the X-T4 IBIS of course against the benchmark camera for this. Admins can put this to other forum area if needed.

It seems Fuji could not match Olympus at this point eventhough the CIPA ratings hint at that. Also I would suspect that stabilizing the larger sensor will drain more battery. I think one of the reasons Olympus chose the smaller sensor is because of physics related to IBIS.

With wide-angle the tester could get 85 % sharp results with E-M1 III at 1 second exposure time. With Fuji he got 90 % at 1/8 seconds. 3 stops worse?

"Conclusion

Despite the two cameras starting with the same image stabilisation rating, we’ve seen that the results tell a different story. The E-M1 III can deliver sharp images with slower shutter speeds, and overall has a better keeper rating than the X-T4.

The Fuji model doesn’t perform badly, but when I went back and looked at some of the tests I did with the X-H1, I didn’t see a huge improvement despite the CIPA rating suggesting otherwise. There is also a bit of inconsistency in the performance, which is the same conclusion I drew with the X-H1 two years ago.

The Olympus proved more stable and reliable for video, which is another valid point that can make the difference for some people. The X-T4 appears to perform a bit better than the X-H1, but there is still room for improvement."

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-olympus/fuji-xt4-vs-omd-em1-iii-ibis/

wyk

Mu-43 Veteran
The main reason I shoot Olympus is the IBIS. The dynamic range and resolution are 'good enough', and the bodies are excellent. But that IBIS has me using the camera daily VS my A7's.

Last edited:
How do companies even calculate the number of stops of IBIS effectiveness? I have always wondered. I had Fuji x-H1 and Olympus EM5.2 at the same time and Fuji's claims felt like marketing BS. It didn't have 6.5 stop equivalent IBIS of X-T4 but still. It was close to non existent.

Same for Sony. The A7R II and III claim to have 4.5 stops of IBIS effectiveness and if you use it after you have handled, say Olympus EM1.2, Sony feels like it doesn't even have IBIS. Even a wide angle lens (Zeiss 16-35 OSS) with image stabilization + IBIS can't keep up with the combination of Olympus EM1.2 + Olympus 45mm f1.8 which is a non stabilized, short telephoto lens.

I'm not surprised at the results this website has got.

Real Name
Walter
Did you look at the dates? This post is from Saturday.

I usually try to search the relevant forum areas if already posted.

I just checked the dates and times on the postings. According to my time zone, my post was Yesterday at 10:01 PM

Yours was Friday at 11:20 PM

My apologies. I just saw the time and assumed your post was after mine. You were first.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I just checked the dates and times on the postings. According to my time zone, my post was Yesterday at 10:01 PM

Yours was Friday at 11:20 PM

My apologies. I just saw the time and assumed your post was after mine. You were first.

No worries, at least more people saw the (still) astonishing IBIS of Olympus update. I wondered if to put it in Olympus cameras section because more people probably watch that area, but opted here because it seemed the right place as it is more about Fuji.

Real Name
Walter
No worries, at least more people saw the (still) astonishing IBIS of Olympus update. I wondered if to put it in Olympus cameras section because more people probably watch that area, but opted here because it seemed the right place as it is more about Fuji.

I did a quick search, but didn't see yours. Sorry. :)

I saw the coverage about equally between Olympus and Fuji, but it was still surprising to see how far ahead Olympus is. We are lucky that Olympus keeps pushing the boundaries of IBIS, even if it didn't invent it. Did they invent 5-way IBIS? I think so. I don't think there is any question about Olympus having the best IBIS implementation.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I did a quick search, but didn't see yours. Sorry. :)

I saw the coverage about equally between Olympus and Fuji, but it was still surprising to see how far ahead Olympus is. We are lucky that Olympus keeps pushing the boundaries of IBIS, even if it didn't invent it. Did they invent 5-way IBIS? I think so. I don't think there is any question about Olympus having the best IBIS implementation.

I think it was Minolta, someone said in other thread, but Olympus was very early.

I think the physics of the smaller sensor will likely give the benefit (less battery drain, better stabilization) against bigger sensors for a long time.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I’ve never really tested Olympus IBIS, but I’ve been quite pleased with Panasonic’s. I shoot at 300mm all the time, and it’s amazing how much shake and bob go away once you engage the focus. I moved my way toward M43, so I don’t remember what it was like shooting APS-C Nikon and Sony, but I never had 600mm eq with those cameras either. My favorite test is to shoot at 300mm at my spice rack in the kitchen from 30 feet away, in the evening with just artificial lighting. I can dip to under 1/15s and still be able to read the letters on the spices. A useless test in all practicality, but a testament to M43 IBIS!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom